'Star Wars' Premiere Sparks Debate

Judland

Electoral Member
Found this very interesting article on the Fox News website. Thought I'd share.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156585,00.html

To quote a small part of the article...

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith (search)" — the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering — to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq.

Two lines from the movie especially resonated:

"This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause," bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy," Hayden Christensen's Anakin — soon to become villain Darth Vader — tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Bush's international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: That's funny, I was just wondering whether I should post a similar article.

Is new 'Star Wars' an anti-Bush diatribe?

I always thought that Star Wars had a political element to it, but more as a reference to things that happened in the past, nothing contemporary.

But then again If you want to find something hard enough you'll find it. The people pointing this out wouldn't have been able to when the script was first written. But O'l Bushy has been writing his history to reflect what Lucas has been working on for the last 28 years...maybe he's a fan?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: I like it!
Although Cheney should be the Emperor, and Bush: Vader. Cheney has more of the Emperors visage

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
My biggest concern has been how they are going to turn a whining kid from the previous Star Wars movie into Darth Vader.

Got my tickets to see it tomorrow. :p

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
My biggest concern has been how they are going to turn a whining kid from the previous Star Wars movie into Darth Vader.

I am sure it will be a progressive transformation that takes place the entire movie. I will not bother seeing it for a few weeks.

Those links were great btw ...

[/quote]

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well I just got back from watching Star Wars:Revenge of the Sith.

I felt like I was 12 all over again, you hear that Jay? I was TWELVE in 1977 :p

Pretty good, you actually felt sorry for Darth Vader in the end.

Anyways, I have to ge tup at 4:30 tomorrow :cry: and I'm not going fishing either :p

May the force be with you :p

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I think the phrase "if you're not with us, you're against us" is first said to be used during the Persian Wars of 492-449 BC, in reference to the Ionian attempts to maintain neutrality. Hence anyone who thinks it refers to their own countries current behaviour may be deemed a little paranoid.

But if the cap fits ...

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Vanni Fucci said:
I think not said:
Pretty good, you actually felt sorry for Darth Vader in the end.

Did you not feel sorry for him at the end of Return of the Jedi, you insensitive bastard??

:p

:lol: actually I remember being pissed they killed him off in the end. Dam rebels, must have been lefties :lol: :wink: :p

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Vanni Fucci said:
Alright, in retrospect, maybe I was a little harsh with you ITN, and I apologize...

If you can find it in your heart to forgive me, I'll be sure not to ever call you an insensitive bastard again... :p

Too late for you, the dark side of the force will punish you :p

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Why can't people just watch a film and enjoy it instead of analysing it and looking for sub plots between the lines?

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually wanted to be happy?