FRANCE banned all religious symbols from their schools

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Just an aside on this issue of religious symbols in secular public places, my daughter and I hosted a German exchange student last month and I found it interesting that most gymnasiums (high schools) required religious history instruction all the way to grade 13.

This particular gymnasium, however, is getting rid of grade 13 this year, and so there will be two graduations which makes the principal want to retire early.

But back to the interesting point that the Germans seem not too hyper about all this church and state stuff especially since their schools require knowlege of it throughout all secondary education.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
No. Canada is not France. We pride ourselves of being multiculture. We pride ourselves of tolerating each others religions. France was forced by a large Jewish community to force moslems to take off their head scarfs. We do not have this issue here.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
If one believes in the total separation of Church and State,and the schools are state-run..why,of course,keep all religious symbols out of the classrooms.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
And then what? Do we ban the wearing of certain colours if they have connections to gangs? How about sports jerseys? I bet more "issues" have come up in schools because of team loyalty (fanaticism) than religion. How about symbols relating to drugs... should they be banned too?

Let the Muslims wear their head scarves. Let the Christians wear their cross necklaces.

Live and let live.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
missile said:
If one believes in the total separation of Church and State,and the schools are state-run..why,of course,keep all religious symbols out of the classrooms.

The schools don't have to be state run....

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
They already ban a lot of what you said LadyC :wink: I think they should bring back the uniforms it would stop a lot of the bullshit in the schools and save us parents a ton of money :wink: If my kids new I just said that they would kill me 8O :lol:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: FRANCE banned all religious symbols from their schoo

LadyC said:
And then what? Do we ban the wearing of certain colours if they have connections to gangs? How about sports jerseys? I bet more "issues" have come up in schools because of team loyalty (fanaticism) than religion. How about symbols relating to drugs... should they be banned too?

Let the Muslims wear their head scarves. Let the Christians wear their cross necklaces.

Live and let live.

There are over 400 religions in the world, you need quite alot of wall space to cover everything.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

moghrabi said:
No. Canada is not France. We pride ourselves of being multiculture. We pride ourselves of tolerating each others religions. France was forced by a large Jewish community to force moslems to take off their head scarfs. We do not have this issue here.

Yes, let's blame the Jews, they're always a fan favourite for persecution!

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
missile said:

Touchy subject. We have a separation of church and state, yet we advocate freedom of religion. I would say that since the mere presence of religious apparel does not advocate one religion over another, then I say a complete ban is not necessary. The only requirement is that the religious apparel does not violate any other school rules. Such as the Sikh dagger should not be allowed as it violates weapon rules.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
DasFX said:
missile said:

Touchy subject. We have a separation of church and state, yet we advocate freedom of religion. I would say that since the mere presence of religious apparel does not advocate one religion over another, then I say a complete ban is not necessary. The only requirement is that the religious apparel does not violate any other school rules. Such as the Sikh dagger should not be allowed as it violates weapon rules.

I don't believe clothing, or a cross around ones neck is the issue in the article. Imagine yourself being a muslim sitting in a classroom and having to look at a crucifix. That may be insutling to someone. What would be the point having religious symbols in a classroom?

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
I don't believe clothing, or a cross around ones neck is the issue in the article.
But that's exactly what they did ban... they expelled the girl for refusing to remove her head scarf.

I agree that unless it's a religious school, the classroom itself should be devoid of any symbolism, other than when studying world religions.

I wouldn't go so far as to say people would be insulted by them... that seems a little oversensitive to me.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I think not said:
I don't believe clothing, or a cross around ones neck is the issue in the article. Imagine yourself being a muslim sitting in a classroom and having to look at a crucifix. That may be insutling to someone. What would be the point having religious symbols in a classroom?

Well there aren't any symbols like that displayed in the classroom, this is about on a person. That is how I'm interpreting it. I never say any religious symbol in any classroom outside of regious holiday celebrations.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

DasFX said:
moghrabi said:

Now do not start crying about prosecutions of Jews and call me anti-semetic because I blamed the Jews here. It is true that the Jewish Community is responsible for what happenned in France. Like it or not, but it is true.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

moghrabi said:
DasFX said:
moghrabi said:

Now do not start crying about prosecutions of Jews and call me anti-semetic because I blamed the Jews here. It is true that the Jewish Community is responsible for what happenned in France. Like it or not, but it is true.

I would agree with moghrabi, they have been lobbying for that for quite sometime in France.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Is a headscarf a necessity of the Muslim faith or is it a choice? Then I think it becomes a bit trickier. From what I know, the headscarf for women is a symbol of modesty, however it is not required. That is why you see millions of Muslim women without them.

So if it really isn't a necessity, why allow the possibility of "offending" someone? I mean, you aren't allowed to wear baseball caps in school, but couldn't someone argue it was religious apparel? No quick answer.

What is better, possible insulting some groups of people or angering all groups equally?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

DasFX said:
Is a headscarf a necessity of the Muslim faith or is it a choice? Then I think it becomes a bit trickier. From what I know, the headscarf for women is a symbol of modesty, however it is not required. That is why you see millions of Muslim women without them.

So if it really isn't a necessity, why allow the possibility of "offending" someone? I mean, you aren't allowed to wear baseball caps in school, but couldn't someone argue it was religious apparel? No quick answer.

What is better, possible insulting some groups of people or angering all groups equally?

As a matter of fact, the head scarf is a necessity in the Moslem religion. Some women choose not to wear it but nontheless it is a religious duty.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Moghrabi ?

Yes and no. It is hard to figure, because there is more of a secular, non-religious attitude of most French citizens, be they Jewish or Christian.

That secular, non-religious attitude of most of the French might just be the trump card.

There's one other HUGE mitigating influence.

Both France and Germany are getting hit with an onslaught of muslims and it is causing quite a culture clash of their wearing religion openly and forcefully among a native population that is mostly avowedly non-religious.

The muslims have reached an epidemic of almost 20 percent of the French population.

This is quite an irony for the French.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

DasFX said:

I would take possibly angering none of them. A head scarf may be optional, I really do not know. Everything I suppose is optional if you practice a "lazy" religion, so to speak.

In France they banned head scarves, there was an outrage from muslims (expected).

Maybe they should ban yamakas while they're at it. Just a thought.