Canada may send 150 troops to Sudan

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Sorry if there is a thread about this somewhere else. I'll post the artilce anyway, delete if deemed necessary. :)

Canada may send 150 troops to Sudan

Last Updated Sat, 07 May 2005 20:28:06 EDT

OTTAWA - Canada is reported ready to send up to 150 military personnel as peacekeepers to war-torn Sudan.

Ottawa would also donate some used military equipment and increase its humanitarian aid for the northeast African country.

An official announcement is coming in the next few days, the Canadian Press reported Saturday.

The federal government has already earmarked $20 million in aid for Sudan. And Gen. Rick Hillier told CBC News Friday that Canada was making plans to send troops to the Darfur region of Sudan by the end of the summer.

Darfur is the western province of Sudan, where a government-backed militia is accused of killing thousands of people because of political, ethnic and religious differences.

At least 180,000 people have died and more than 2 million others have been displaced in two years of conflict there.

Canada has also already promised 31 soldiers to act as advisers to an African Union mission in Addis Ababa, the capital of neighbouring Ethiopia.

The additional Canadian military personnel would serve as short-term advisers, mechanics and trainers, CP reported.

The United Nations has called the situation in Darfur the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The Canadian government has a new sense of urgency to deal with Sudan as it seeks the support of members of Parliament for a looming confidence vote in the Commons this month.

Paul Martin's minority Liberal government has the support of the New Democratic Party, but it needs the votes of all three Independent MPs to survive a motion of non-confidence.

David Kilgour, who quit the Liberal caucus to sit as an Independent recently, has said he wants to see a tougher Canadian response to the Darfur crisis before he decides whether to support the government.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/05/07/canada-darfur050507.html

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canada may send 150 t

It's about bloody time. The AU has been saing that it needs logistical support in Sudan since before it got there. The UN haas been asking for support in Darfur forever.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Canada may send 150 t

Reverend Blair said:
It's about bloody time. The AU has been saing that it needs logistical support in Sudan since before it got there. The UN haas been asking for support in Darfur forever.

I agree, but I"m also hoping there will a "coalition" of sorts joining the efforts, since I assume security will probably be an enormous issue. I hope they consult with Dalaire (SP) on this one, there's nothing like drawing from experience.

When has the UN asked for support in Darfur? Serioulsy, I'm drawing blanks. :oops:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It sat in their under-reported stories section for a very long time. That's generally where they put issues that the big powers are ignoring in hope of getting some press and generating public pressure.

Annan mentioned it in several speeches, especially when the only story getting any press was the invasion of Iraq. He has continued to push the permanent five members of the Security Council to do something. France, China and the US have been the big stumbling blocks there.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Reverend Blair said:
It sat in their under-reported stories section for a very long time. That's generally where they put issues that the big powers are ignoring in hope of getting some press and generating public pressure.

Annan mentioned it in several speeches, especially when the only story getting any press was the invasion of Iraq. He has continued to push the permanent five members of the Security Council to do something. France, China and the US have been the big stumbling blocks there.

US is claiming it's a repeat of Somalia etc, and doesn't want to get invovled in international "civil" desputes. US third party oil investment is heavy in the south, as is the French and Chinese. I guess everyone c'ept those getting killed are getting along fine, why fix it if it a'int broke, eh? :roll:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That's the way it works...where there's oil, there's death and destruction and a squabble amongst the permanent five on the best way not to do anything about it.

By the way, Canada's Talisman Oil was active in Sudan but pulled out under pressure from the NGOs and, because of that, the Canadian Government before Sudan was big news.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Reverend Blair said:
That's the way it works...where there's oil, there's death and destruction and a squabble amongst the permanent five on the best way not to do anything about it.

By the way, Canada's Talisman Oil was active in Sudan but pulled out under pressure from the NGOs and, because of that, the Canadian Government before Sudan was big news.

Yep, 2002. See, I don't spend all my time necking with Harper!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Reverend Blair said:
You should...maybe it'd keep him out of our hair for a while. ;-)

Oh puuleease. Harper is nothing more than a little boy, I could get arrested!

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Sorry if there is a thread about this somewhere else. I'll post the artilce anyway, delete if deemed necessary.
I posted something similar to this the other day in the Canada's role in Sudan area. At that time though I didn't know how many troops we were sending. I find 150 troops is a bit of a token effort, it's too bad I'm sure we could do better than that.

Canada's Role in Sudan

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Jo Canadian said:
Sorry if there is a thread about this somewhere else. I'll post the artilce anyway, delete if deemed necessary.
I posted something similar to this the other day in the Canada's role in Sudan area. At that time though I didn't know how many troops we were sending. I find 150 troops is a bit of a token effort, it's too bad I'm sure we could do better than that.

Canada's Role in Sudan

Ok, I remember that.

Details and confirmation have yet to be announced, hopefully it's some sort of joint effort.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

It is about time. We should be sending a Brigade instead of 150 troops. I just hope other like minded countries send soldiers as well. Sudan is a bad and sad situation.

If the US does not want to get involved.....good, maybe they will see how things should be done.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
It is about time. We should be sending a Brigade instead of 150 troops. I just hope other like minded countries send soldiers as well. Sudan is a bad and sad situation.

If the US does not want to get involved.....good, maybe they will see how things should be done.

I agree. 150 wouldn't amount to very much as far as effectiveness is concerned, one can only hope that the gov't may try make more of an effort at a later date to make an impact on the situation over there.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Logistical support and training are what the AU is asking for most though. 150 of the right people can go a long to providing that.

It would be nice if we could send a couple thousand trained peacekeepers, but we haven't got them to spare. This is a perfect example of why we need to concentrate on rebuilding our military for this kind of mission though...there will be more and more of them in the future.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Good points made by all in this discussion about Sudan.

You all realize that 150 troops is hardly a gutsy move.

Be a leader, forget about if United States is involved.

Take Charge !!

Show you back up what you say.

And do it right.

You critics got something to prove.

:)

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
As I understand it, which I have to admit, may not be all that well, the troop strength that Canada has allocated to this mission is not a true peacekeeping force, but has the mandate of advising the growing military power of the African Union...Martin was quite adamant that the solutions implemented in the Darfur region must be African solutions...so basically, we're sending people over to train African Union peacekeepers...

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Well, that does make sense. The AU peacekeepers have been at it for awhile now, I'm not too sure if the results have changed anything. It could still be an african solution if we sent some 1000-5000 peacekeepers and put them under the command of the african union for control. I'm not too sure what the politiks involved with that would be but we'd be seeing faster results with their situation. I feel that they've been waiting too long already for help and what we're offering is only long term assistance...recruiting, training, deploying...that could take months to implement. Whilest rape-pillage-burn-that-village can take place in a matter of days.

It really is too bad there's no major oil sources there eh? That would lure global assistance quicker.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

t is the basic plan that Romeo Dallaire has been pushing for quite some time now. He's the one with the real experience as a peacekeeper during a genocide in Africa.

Solutions for Africa have to come from Africa...our role should be to help them find and achieve those solutions. The advisors are fine...something the AU has been asking for. Mapmaking and intelligence will go a long way toward getting the aids to the camps. It would be nice if we could offer a couple thousand troops as well (to be put under the command of the AU) but the reality is that we don't have them to spare.