Blair can make history today.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
(5/5/05) Elections: He is favored to win a third term as prime minister, though support for his Labor Party has been sliding
By Glenn Frankel and Dan Balz The Washington Post

LONDON - Prime Minister Tony Blair toured the country on the last day of his effort to win a historic third term in nationwide elections today. Polling indicated that his governing Labor Party would triumph, but with a reduced majority that reflects public disaffection with Blair's support for the war in Iraq.

The leaders of the three main parties campaigned feverishly Wednesday in a number of so-called marginal districts that public opinion polls suggest remain up for grabs. Analysts project that 1 million or so voters in those districts hold a key to victory out of a total electorate of between 25 and 30 million.

Blair and senior Cabinet members fanned out across the country, extolling the government's economic record, and its stewardship of public services such as schools and the public health system. At a morning news conference, Blair surrounded himself with Cabinet secretaries in an attempt to woo back disillusioned voters. personally. He warned that voters who were tempted to ''give Blair a bloody nose'' either by abstaining or by voting for the third-party Liberal Democrats could wind up inadvertently helping the Conservative Party return to power.

''We haven't won this thing yet,'' Blair told reporters, ''and in the marginals it is tight and tough.''

Conservative leader Michael Howard, who has been slipping in recent polls, insisted his party could still triumph today. As he campaigned in southeast England, Howard stuck to his basic themes - more police, cleaner hospitals, lower taxes, controlled immigration, school discipline - subjects his tightly controlled campaign has emphasized from the beginning.

Meanwhile, Charles Kennedy of the Liberal Democrats, slowly rising in the polls, insisted that his party represented ''the real alternative'' to Labor and derided Blair's claims that a vote for the third party would ''let the Tories [the Conservatives] in by the back door.''

''Let's have none of this Tony Blair nonsense,'' Kennedy told reporters. ''He has cried wolf one too many times with the British public.''

Each party expressed anxieties about the elections. Labor remains concerned that some supporters, convinced that the party is a shoo-in for reelection, could decide it is safe to register a protest vote against Blair. His ratings among the public on questions about trust have fallen because he is widely perceived to have misled Parliament and the public in taking Britain to war.

But Howard, a veteran politician with little personal charisma, has failed to gain traction. His platform - constructed out of so-called ''dog-whistle issues'' designed to attract Conservative voters without awakening resistance from other parts of the electorate - has proven unpopular with the country at large and driven left-of-center and moderate voters back to Labor.

''If this election was just a referendum on Tony Blair and Iraq then Labor would lose, but Michael Howard is even less popular than Blair is,'' said Peter Kellner, chairman of the YouGov polling group. ''A lot of people will do anything in their power to punish Tony Blair - anything except vote for the Tories.''

The Liberal Democrats have gained support, but even with an increased share of the national vote they may fall short of adding many parliamentary seats because their supporters are widely dispersed.

Despite the last-minute frenzy, there was little sign of the campaign in many parts of Britain. Interviews with voters in recent days underscored both the dissatisfaction with Blair and the sense of having no one else to turn to today.

Chris Christou, who lives in the north London suburb of Enfield, a marginal district, laid out a list of grievances when he was contacted by Labor canvassers over the weekend, from complaints with the National Health Service to his believe that Britain and the United States were bullying other countries. But he said he is likely to stay with Labor. Blair, he said, ''is the lesser of two evils.''

Sal Rashid, who lives in the eastern seaport of Dover, said Labor needed to take more seriously the issue of immigration, but said he would stick with Blair because of Britain's strong economy. ''People might not have agreed with him on the war, but the economy is thriving,'' said Rashid.

''All the European countries envy Britain.''

www.sltrib.com . . .

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I think Peter Kellner (amongst others) got it right when he said ''If this election was just a referendum on Tony Blair and Iraq then Labor would lose, but Michael Howard is even less popular than Blair is'. A lot of people will do anything in their power to punish Tony Blair - anything except vote for the Tories.''

My only hope is that the Labour majority is reduced enough to make Blair realise how unpopular this war is, if he didn't know already.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Damn...I thought you were talking about the good Reverend...:wink:

I don't get a fiddler's f**k about Tony Blair...he's a puppet and a pansy...he and the other leaders of the coalition should be in chains before The Hague, for war crimes and colossal stupidity for following Bush on this grand adventure... :roll:

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Vanni Fucci said:
I don't get a fiddler's f**k about Tony Blair...he's a puppet and a pansy...he and the other leaders of the coalition should be in chains before The Hague, for war crimes and colossal stupidity for following Bush on this grand adventure... :roll:

Really, Vanni ... Why don't you just say what you mean? That sort of ambiguity doesn't suit you. :lol:

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Steve Bell on the 'vote Blair, get Brown' ploy. 8)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us][img]http://img113.echo.cx/img113/6039/stevebell512ready9if.jpg[/URL][/img]

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I just had to add one in too.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Blair can make histor

Did you see any of the BBC coverage. The part in the House of Commons was very Dr. Who-ish. Not the new Dr.Who, more like back in 1970's.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Amazing how he can get a majority with only 36% of the vote. :shake: and I thought we had a bad set up here. But word is, he will be gone soon as a year or last up to two years. Too bad he never got a miniority though.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I think it's a reasonable result. About the best we could've hoped for in the circumstances. Blair should've been kicked out a long time ago over the Iraqi occupation, but I'd prefer a Labour gov't over a Tory one anytime. There's also a lot of rebels in that majority; Blair had enough trouble pushing through legislation with a much larger majority. He's going to have to moderate his reforms now, and will have no choice but to work with Gordon Brown's allies.

We will see if Blair recognises this vote for what it is - a condemnation of our involvement in Iraq (there are other issues, of course, but this is the one that cost the most in terms of lost Labour supporters) - and what he intends to do about it. Historically this third term for Labour is unprecedented; it represents the longest period of peacetime progressive government in our modern history. My faith in politicians of every party is limited, but Labour are the most likely to work towards social justice, to reduce poverty in Africa, tackle climate change and aid progress in the Middle East peace process.

But don't hold your breath.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Is there a push for PR starting in Britain too, Henry? I know Scotland has a form of it and Ireland has had STV for a long time, but you are still using he same basic system as us...undemocratic and pretty silly in the end. Is there any chance of it changing anytime soon, or are you in the same mess as us with the two main parties more than happy to rule with less than half of the vote?

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
precisely right Rev. There is a lot of demand for it, but FPTP suits the two main parties. Turkey's wouldn't vote for Christmas, and all that. There is some demand for PR - amongst other constitutional reforms - within The Labour Party. Hopefully enough of a demand that Blair will have to work with these people now.

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Hopefully you guys will change...that will give us another country to point at and say, "See, told you it could be done."

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
One of the more bizarre flaws in our elctoral law is that Tony Blair had to go to see Queenie this morning, who then ASKED him to form a gov't. Of course it's only a formality, but if ol' big ears, or one of his arsey son's has a fit of pique 'cos they can't chase defenseless animals anymore, they could theoretically refuse and cause a real constitutional crisis. "Off with their heads ..."

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I don't think that can really happen, Henry. We often hear the same argument hear about our Governor General. If they tried to use that power though, they'd quickly lose the support of the people. I don't think a hereditary sovereign would get away with trying to impose their power in today's society. Far better for the power elite to let us think that our votes matter.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
That's right Rev., but it would take a change in the law to get rid of them. The threat shouldn't even be there, in a modern democracy worthy of the name. Get rid of them now, I say.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: Blair can make histor

no1important said:
Amazing how he can get a majority with only 36% of the vote. :shake: and I thought we had a bad set up here. But word is, he will be gone soon as a year or last up to two years. Too bad he never got a miniority though.

It's not the amount of votes that a party gets, it's the amount of seats it gains.

There are about 646 constiuencies around the UK. Each person votes in their constituency (mine is Bolton South East) for the MP who represents the party that you want to win. Bolton South East's Labour represent is Brian Iddon. I wanted Labour to win, so I voted Brian Iddon. He won the most votes for Bolton South East, which means that Labour won a seat in Parliament for Bolton South East.

Altogether, Labour won about 353 constiuencies out of about 646 in total, so they won the election.

In fact, the Tories won the MAJORITY of the seats in England, more than Labour. The thing that stopped them sweeping to power is that Labour won more seats in Scotland and Wales than the Tories. They aren't traditional Tory heartlands.