John R. Bolton

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Bush's nominee for Ambassador to the UN is in trouble. Turns out he tried to have a CIA analyst fired for disagreeing with him, requested secret documents in an attempt to spy on his peers in government, and has a history of being abusive to underlings.

Bush gave a little speech saying that Bolton was a good man or some such crap, but it's looking like Georgie is going to have to find a new nominee.

A lot of the world was aghast when Bolton was appointed and nobody held out much hope for the Senate shutting down his nomination, but it's looking a lot like it will be shut down. That not only keeps a dangerous and arrogant man out of the UN, but makes Bush look like a class A idiot...the White House is supposed to vet these guys before they nominate them. 8)

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I thought it looked like he would get approved, Rev? I loved his comment about the UN building losing 10 storeys (wouldn't make a difference)! So true! But neglecting or twisting your own intelligence is a recipe for disaster!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
He never should have been appointed. You don't send a UN-hater to the UN as ambassador. The entire appointment was part of Bush's ongoing war on the UN. Bolton is an idiot.

He hasn't stepped down from the nomination and Bush hasn't pulled him, but they've lost the confidence of several Republican Senators. If just one instance of Bolton being abusive towards staff is substantiated, or one of his alleged personal temper tantrums shows up on tape somewhere, then he's gone.

Given that the rumours of these things have followed him around for years, it's doubtful that there won't be some hard evidence someplace.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Bush is trying to undermine every international authority that may question US actions, Jo. That's what all these appointments are really about.

There's a good chance that the US is going to get shut down over this kind of thing too. The international community is not powerless and Bush will be a completely lame duck in November 2006.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
The international community is not powerless and Bush will be a completely lame duck in November 2006.

One can only hope.

I just wonder what other suprises Bush & co will think up in the next 19-20 months to counteract the possibility. Perhaps the appointments were the first move.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The appointments are the first move. They started screaming for Anan to resign again too...I haven't had time to check out why, but I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the Bolton nomination.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Bolton is a class A ASSHOLE from what I've read Threatening people and harrasing them if they don't do what he wants :x This guy should'nt even have a job period :x

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
They wouldn't have been able to stop it, so they let it happen. Theoretically that gives them leverage to shut him down later if he goes too far.

You also have to keep in mind that the European powers also champion neo-conservative/neo-liberal policies through th IMF and World Bank. Their big bitch with Wolfie is that he's a nutbag and doesn't know how to go slowly and soft-pedal things, so he could cause a backlash. Their policies aren't that far apart in the long run though.

Walrus

Nominee Member
Mar 20, 2005
Victoria
Vanni Fucci said:
What I can't figure out is why Europe did a complete 180 on Wolfowitz's appointment to the World Bank...the flip seemed to have happened overnight...I just don't get it... :?

I think that you've misinterpreted Europe's reaction - basically because the US has the controlling votes on who gets to be head of the World Bank, it was a done deal that Wolfie would get it. I think that Europe recognized that fact and either held back their opposition in the hope that it would molify the Americans or really didn't care because they can thumb their noses at any WB decisions anyways.

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
Bolton Watch

In a game of spades Bolton is the deuce that Bush is throwing away to trump another hand. In other words he is loading the UN with duds and fighting anything like the ICC or any international body that he doesn't have control over.

Bush wants to replace the UN so he can have a free hand. Bolton will be approved and it will all boil down to: does the US need the UN or the UN need the US. I think we all know how that will play.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
As I said before... but with his personality and past that man is a Bull in a china shop...

:lol: :lol: I guess I'm not the only one to think that. :lol:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Regarding the Wolfowitz appointment to World Bank:

It is an accepted policy that Europe always has final say on picking the head of the IMF (Int.MonetaryFund) and the USA always has final say on picking the head of the World Bank.

Regarding Bolton:

I'm one of those who don't find him to be a necessary figure.

I like how he characterizes the shenanigans of the UN, but the USA doesn't really need a John Bolton there to say the same things alot of people who have sense to say.

What bothers me most is the credibility of any "facts" he presents. And it would hurt the bureaucracy to see someone who flagrantly changed the facts to be promoted for doing so.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Those who criticize the UN in your country are never up on the facts though, Jim. At a time when the UN is trying to reform, constructive criticism would be a very positive thing. Instead Bush and his cronies have launched nothing but ugly attacks on the UN because they don't like having to follow international law.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Reverend Blair, I truly respect your post.

I think Kofi Annan is neither what you say he is or what the Bush media says he is. I don't think the UN is what you say it is nor do I think the UN is what Fox News says it is.

So that leaves me as a very legitimate in-betweener who believes not in the ferocity of either camp.

I do believe you intuitively know that the UN has many flaws as I do. Our reasons for those flaws may differ, however.

But the fact that we both know the UN has flaws and the fact that there are many differing reasons as to why is not the most important point here.

The most important point is the truth, and how do we determine the truth?

I propose that truth is only found in an adversarial way.

The truth itself has no lobby.

badboy

Nominee Member
Apr 13, 2005
mrmom2 said:
Bolton is a class A ASSHOLE from what I've read Threatening people and harrasing them if they don't do what he wants :x This guy should'nt even have a job period :x

hrmm sounds more like Martin to me.

badboy

Nominee Member
Apr 13, 2005
mrmom2 said:
:roll: :roll: I got to agree with you :lol:

only problem is i like Bolton, the UN is a joke and needs a guy like this to shake out the dead crap.