A question for the fundamentalists about literalism.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm wondering, if your five-year-old daughter asked you one day about the words fusion ad fision, alog with atom, How would you explain it to her considering er limited vocabulary?

You might fist consider comparing the atom to a star system, but that's too complex for afive-year-old. So ten you might consider the earth and the sun, bt again does she even understand that? In the end, you're probably going to be comparing an atom to a tennis ball with marbles spinning around it. And ow to explain fudion? Take out the crazy glue and glue two golf balls togeter perhaps? And what about fission? bull the two golf balls apart? Burn the golf balls? And how to explain the energy released from the atoms? Maybe use firecrackers as an example?

Now imagine your daughter ten years later, still remembering your attempt to explain all these concepts to her, but not realising thatyou did infact simplify things for her eefit, and actually comes to believe that, in fact, atoms really are te size of golf balls, and even go so far as to argue with everyone tht she's right, their wrong, and all because her dad said so!

to some extent, I believe the same could apply to teh Bible, including as it applies to evolution. Immagine three thousad years ago, little education, rampant illiteracy, and even the most learned of savants ad never even heard of the concept of atoms, DNA, etc. Now suddenly God wants to reveal a book to educate the people, teaching them some basic concepts they wil need to understand at that stage of their evolution. I'msure you can immagine that, if he intends to get the point across tat e created us, he's certainly not going to start teaching E=mc2! Who'll understnd tat? And is he going to itroduce Darwin's theories? just immagine the confusion and turmol that would cause, as the iliterate masses try to understand that whopper of a concept. All they know is how to hunt ad fight throughing rocks!

As you could immagine, e'd keep it straight and simple, focussing on the basic point, tat e created us and we aught to be appreciative of it, while keeping all the brainy stuff to a minimum.

So now my question is, do you honestly believe the Bible was intended as a science text?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I think you are fighting a straw man.

The reality is that very few people operate as either totally rigidly religious or scientific and in my opinion most people have found the polar opposites a moot issue in their lives.

I would assume that most people have gotten over any conflict between science and religion and find it more fulfilling to look at unity with both.

For purposes of analysis and debate, all the points are interesting, but fearing that 100 million people in any Christian country really really behave this way is giving too much power to the extremists.