Where do we go from here????

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Why would it "lead" anywhere? This law is not going to change peoples behaviour one whit. Previous court cases have held that if attacked, a person has a DUTY to retreat or run away. This is totally unreasonable, and this law was introduced to address it.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Yeah, Jo Canadian. Take all the guns away from regular citizens just so the government and criminals are the only ones to possess them. Seems like a good idea to benefit the latter two.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I think there are a lot of reasons for higher gun deaths in the U.S., not the least of which is a bigger spread between the rich & the poor.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Where do we go from h

There are other reasons, but gun-related deaths are related to guns. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

The legislation will pass and some poor bastard will try to deliver a pizza to the wrong house and take a bullet for it.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
So... I guess the only difference between Europe and the U.S. is gun control policy?????

No. It was funny.

Although I believe that that type of protection would or should be necessary, that bill will lead to more irrisponsible use of firearms. Without the bill it's almost like keeping people protected from themselves, and now that that can of worms is going to open it's going to complicate matters in court when it comes to itchy trigger fingered idiots. As if that wasn't a problem before, but now they can use the self defense excuse to try get free.

At least it's not as stupid as the Arizona law that would allow you to carry a gun into a bar eh? I'd hate to be a bouncer at any establishments down there. Drunks are bad enough, armed drunks...I'm not even going to go there.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
What, now you would take away the right to self-defense? There is nothing wrong with this law, just something wrong with the judgements which precipitated it.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The most interesting thing to me in all this is, "the right to bear arms" is ingrained in the american experience. What happened to all the other things the founding fathers tried to instill.????

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Re: RE: Where do we go from h

no1important said:
American politicians are absolutely crazy.!

Now I know part of the reason why America is such a very violent society.

Your country is releasing a woman who helped sexually assault and murder many young girls, including her own sister in July. Get off your high horse. There is not a country on this earth that isn't violent. Some are just more prone to avert their eyes from it.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Where do we go from h

jamie said:
no1important said:
American politicians are absolutely crazy.!

Now I know part of the reason why America is such a very violent society.

Your country is releasing a woman who helped sexually assault and murder many young girls, including her own sister in July. Get off your high horse. There is not a country on this earth that isn't violent. Some are just more prone to avert their eyes from it.

She served 12 years, and she did a plea bargin to do that. America of all the so called civilized countries is the most violent of them all or don't you watch the news? It never ends down there. Americans need serious gun control and now.

Americans seem more and more unable to solve problems peacefully and have to resort to violence and thats a fact.

Maybe people would not have to arm themselves if all these weapons were not readily availble.

Plus isn't Canada your country too? It says Toronto in your profile.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
peapod said:
The most interesting thing to me in all this is, "the right to bear arms" is ingrained in the american experience. What happened to all the other things the founding fathers tried to instill.????

Good point. Do you have any particular "things" you would like to mention for discussion?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Russia is way more violent than US !I have friend there and he said everything is run by the mob and you do not mess with them People murdered all the time we just never hear about it

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver
Re: RE: Where do we go from here????

MMMike said:
What, now you would take away the right to self-defense? There is nothing wrong with this law, just something wrong with the judgements which precipitated it.

Gun deaths in the United States are a factor of 9 times more frequent per capita than in Canada. The Canadian experience is not unlike Great Britain and Europe where guns are also restricted. The numbers speak for themselves.
Coaster

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Jamie I fail to see where you are going with karla. Karla is going to be free because of lousy police work, they do it all the time. I have no doubt its because of lack of funding to. Actually Jay I am finished with the politics around here for awhile, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. No I will be causing trouble in the lounge now and the community centre. :p

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Where do we go from here????

mrmom2 said:
Russia is way more violent than US !I have friend there and he said everything is run by the mob and you do not mess with them People murdered all the time we just never hear about it

I said civilized when I guess I should of said "first world" like US, Britain, Canada etc Russia is a third world to me.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
My friend would beg to differ on that on with you no1.He lives in Moscow I guess theres good parts and bad there