Your thoughts on the Japan textbook scandal.

Should Japan be allowed to join the Security Council?

• Only once it will have mended historical wrongs committed against its neighbours.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes.

• No.

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I've been in China for awhile, so I;m not even aware if Canadians are aware of this. Some tension is building between the Japanese government and those of neighbouring countries which had been victims of Japanese aggression during WWII. The issue involves a history textbook which many, including in Japan, but especially in neighbouring countries such as China and Korea, are saying whitewashes history by downplaying Japanese aggression during WWII. The issue is serious enough that that is a major reason, along with the lack of any any official official apology on the part of the Japanese government, why South Korea vehemently opposes Japan's entry into the UN Security Council, and the government of the PRC has also advised the Japanese government to face history.

Lately, tension between South Korea and the US has risen over the issue as well, due to the US' support for Japan's entry into the Security Council.

I'd like to know if on your side of the Pacific you'd even heard of the issue, and if so, your thoughts on the issue? Also, I haven't followed Canadian news closely lately. Has Canada made any coments relating to Japan's entry into the Council? (I'm guessing not, sinse Canada isn't even a member of the council itself, and so this has nothing to do with Canada, really). But anyway, as an aside, the US really put its foot in its mouth by publicly supporting Japan while knowing nothing of Japan's current relationship with its neighbours, China (a power in its own right), and South Korea (which the US needs for a foothold on the far side of the Asian continent.

Your thoughts?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Your thoughts on the

Let them into the Security Council. China committed its fair share of atrocities too. The US locked up Japanese in interrment camps.

Japan should do more to acknowledge it's actions during WWII, but that should have no bearing on them joing the Security Council.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
I heard something about it quite a while ago. I didn't know it was still going on.

I agree with Rev. If all countries had to have clean records there would be very few that would qualify. We might think we're pure enough, but I bet there are a few first nations that would disagree.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Tough one. I'm inclined to agree with Rev and Extrafire. However, I do think Japan should do far more to come to terms with what they did during WW II. One of my best friends (if not the best friend) is Japanese, and not so long he started this rant about his country and WW II, it was both surprising as interesting to hear. He loves his country, but he says that many Japanese have a mentality of "just ignore what happened and people will forget it". He also said that Japan is still a very conservative country, something which needs to change, according to him. He also said racism is still an important factor among Japanese, especially when it comes to Koreans and the burakumin.

But again, to deny them a place in the Security Council for that. No, I don't think that would be the right thing to do. Many countries have a not-so-nice history. For what I know, my own country is still partly ignoring what happened under the colonial rule in Indonesia.

UofSaskatchewan

Apr 6, 2005
I think not, Japan after WWII has remained a peaceful nation and I see that they have no need to join the security council, whats the point? The U.N has proven otherwise. Let Japan remain as they are, they are already the 2nd/3rd? most economic nation.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
not as a permenent Seat. History is written by the victors. In many ways Japan came out of the War and following occupation in better shape than those it invaded (as did Germany). China should set up memorials and collect memories reqarding its long battle against the Japanese aggression. Lest they forget.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I am not sure what Japan or China should do and whether the UN security council should also include India and Brazil, two large superpowers economically in the future.

But the NY Times interviewed some of the dissidents and most of them are just as wary of their own Chinese govt as they are at Japan's textbook amnesia.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey, i'm not denying there are issues here too. If you want to boot China out, I'd be all for it. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, boot them all out of the Security Council; they're pretty much all dark angels anyway. And to think some are more equal than others, as George Orwell would put it.

It still deosn't change the fact that bringing Japan in at this time risks increasing tensions between Japan and its neighbours (not only China, but South Korea too are very opposed to it, and it's pretty emotional an issue around these parts. Especially in this city, not so far from Nanjing, there are still bitter memories. After all, for some, their grandmothers or great grandmothers may have been 'comfort girls' for the Japanese Imperial Army. Just something to think about on your side of the Pacific.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hmmm... maybe I've been in China too long! Strange that this should not just be an intellectual or phylosophical issue for me, but an emotional one as well. I suppose that we really do pick many subtle aspects of a local culture whether we're awae of it or not. Not only does my original post in this thread surprise me a little, but also the way I 'feel' the issue. I'm sure had I never come to China I wouldn't have been able to see it quite from this perspective.

Sorry, just an aside. Continue on, folks.

uban001

Apr 16, 2005

Every one could make a mistake. What Chinese and Korean can't forgive is Japanese government's refusal to face up the real history. Even Hitler called them "army of beasts".

I judge a country in the way judging a person; if he never acknowledges his mistake in his heart, definitely he is a dangerous one, because he will repeat it some day.

Here is a link which demonstrates the atrocities of Japanese armies in ww2. After viewing these horrible pictures,I think you can understand the anger of Chinese about Japan's dishonesty.

Not suitable for any person!

uban001

Apr 16, 2005

Well, after consideration, I deleted the link, for the scenes were too violent. I was really afraid that the pictures would scare the viewers.

uban001

Apr 16, 2005
Re: RE: Your thoughts on the Japan textbook scandal.

It certainly proves more than a thing: Japan was wrong in the past; and it will go further on the false track if it turns its back to its ugly yesterday.

Japan, as a country without courage to be honest, will never win the respect in the Asia, and the burden of the UN Security Council seems a little heavy to it.

LadyC said:
Besides, every country has committed atrocities. We could post pictures till the cows come home... it won't prove a thing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd like to add another point to the argument here, then.

Would it be better to ignore the atrocities of one country because others have done the same, or boot them all off the Security council and just make it one nation, one vote?

uban001

Apr 16, 2005
Re: RE: Your thoughts on the Japan textbook scandal.

Yes, it would better and simple for us. According to this opinion, Iran or Israel should be another qualified competitor.

It is easy for you to say "ignore", because they didn't invade our country or killed our grandpas or grandmas. For the sufferers and their offsprings, they will never "ignore" it before Japan shows its respect the dead. And maybe that is where the rub is.

the Security Council, a club of several powers, most time following only U.S.A.'s orders, should be canceled or reorganized. I agree with you.

Machjo said:
I'd like to add another point to the argument here, then.

Would it be better to ignore the atrocities of one country because others have done the same, or boot them all off the Security council and just make it one nation, one vote?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
There's another angle between Japan and China to explore. Great article in Newsweek concerning this.

Recently the Japanese chased off a Chinese nuclear submarine prowling in disputed waters between the two.

In the past Japan has ignored these prowls, but not this time.

In addition Japan is exploring oil in this same area.

And China having found it purposeful to teach its citizens of Japanese atrocities in Manchuria, find it again to hide behind this anger it whips up in order for big business to hide behind popular indignation.

Just as European big business hid behind all the young peace protesters of the Iraq war, so will China and every elite in the world will do so.