Coalition of Left and Right to Oppose Parts of Patriot Act

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
RE: Coalition of Left and Right to Oppose Parts of Patriot A

I think that coalition should be worrying about Patriot Act 2 Its far more draconian than the first one.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Coalition of Left and

Reverend Blair said:
Remember when the US used to be a democracy?

Last time I checked, they still are. The fact that this debate is happening supports that.

alienofwar

Mar 2, 2005
Re: Coalition of Left and Right to Oppose Parts of Patriot A

The fact that anti-Americans and terrorists exist is the reason why we need this act. You guys think the act had destoryed democracy in this country? Then how come the American Civil Liberties Union (the most vocal opponent) in 2003 when asked to provide example of abuse under the act couldn't provide any? The fact that these organizations that oppose the law still exist is all the more proof that democracy is still alive and sound in this country.

Now for Canada on the other hand...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Last time I checked, they still are. The fact that this debate is happening supports that.

Last time I checked, I was in Canada. The fact that I'm on one of Georgie's official enemies lists supports that.

Then how come the American Civil Liberties Union (the most vocal opponent) in 2003 when asked to provide example of abuse under the act couldn't provide any? The fact that these organizations that oppose the law still exist is all the more proof that democracy is still alive and sound in this country.

Tracking who read's what book would be an example. Racial and religious profiling would be another. Suspension of legal rights are yet another. The ACLU provided all of those as examples.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Coalition of Left and

I haven't checked lately, but I assume I'm still on it. That raises the question of how many others have made it onto such lists.

The thing is that technology allows them to put a lot of people on those lists though. It was bizarre when Nixon banned Farley Mowatt, but you had to be at least as famous as him to make a list because the technology wasn't there to keep track of everybody. Now they can put anybody on a list and they border guards can find it by pushing a button.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

Where does one go to see ig they're on such a list?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Coalition of Left and

I found out by accident when I was looking into getting a pardon for an ancient drunk driving charge. Not much point in getting a pardon at that point.

I'm guessing most people find out at the border though. I know that a lot of people found out they were on no-fly lists when they were headed to Florida to protest the money-nazi convention there about a year ago. Most of them were American citizens with no ties to terrorism whatsoever.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

alienofwar said:
The fact that anti-Americans and terrorists exist is the reason why we need this act. You guys think the act had destoryed democracy in this country?

Yes I do.

I also believe the American Government brings a lot of problems on themselves, by interfering where they shouldn't be.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

The patriot act and electronic voting machines have done more to destroy democracy in your country than anything else Alien,except maybe Bush and Cheney