Bush: Wolfowitz to Be 'Strong' World Bank Chief

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooolooooooooooooooooooooool

Now the world is in deep shit. Sorry for my French.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush said on Wednesday Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz would make a "strong president" of the World Bank, calling him "a compassionate, decent man."

Bush told a White House news conference that he was calling world leaders to explain his choice, and described Wolfowitz as "a man of good experience" in managing large organizations like the Pentagon, and a "skilled diplomat" who is committed to global development.

Wolfowitz was been a lightning rod for controversy as one of the main advocates for the Iraq war. He would replace World Bank chief James Wolfensohn, who said earlier this month that Wolfowitz was no longer in the running for the top job after a Pentagon official suggested he wanted to stay at the Defense Department.

The U.S. Treasury Department has said it wants a new World Bank president in place before Wolfensohn departs in June after 10 years in the post.

By tradition, the United States selects the World Bank president while Europeans nominate a head of the International Monetary Fund. Bush's choice of Wolfowitz must still be ratified by other World Bank members, a process that could prove unusually contentious.

Wolfowitz is a deeply controversial figure in Europe because of his role in designing and promoting the Iraq war.

He has also been a frequent target of criticism from congressional Democrats for what they called his "rosy" assessments of the Iraq war. Before the invasion, he assured Congress: "We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon."

The selection follows Bush's controversial decision to nominate John Bolton, another leading administration hawk, to be U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Wolfowitz beat out former Hewlett-Packard Co. chief executive Carly Fiorina, who had also been a leading contender for the World Bank presidency.

Wolfensohn, an Australian who became American to take the job, was appointed by President Bill Clinton. But he frequently clashed with Bush's Treasury Department, which decided it was time for a change.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Bush: Wolfowitz to Be

They should have gone with Bono. Bush has been pissing a lot of people off with his appointments. He can pretty much count on international cooperation going away if he keeps this up.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Bush: Wolfowitz to Be

Reverend Blair said:
They should have gone with Bono. Bush has been pissing a lot of people off with his appointments. He can pretty much count on international cooperation going away if he keeps this up.

Bono?

Why on earth Bono! ?
Because he is a celebrity! ?
Because he can sing! ?

I would even accept you saying some liberal politician, or analyst... but the lead singer of U2!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Starstruck are we?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I agree with you Eagle, Boner I don't think so ever been to one of there shows ?It would make you sick everybody there worshiping at the altar of U2 It was definetly an eye opener

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Bush: Wolfowitz to Be 'Strong' World Bank Chief

mrmom2 said:
I agree with you Eagle, Boner I don't think so ever been to one of there shows ?It would make you sick everybody there worshiping at the altar of U2 It was definetly an eye opener

Swallowing hard here...

I never thought we would agree on anything...

I just wonder how the Rev. will take this.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

My point is that Bono has done more to promote reform of the World Bank and IMF than everybody even vaguely connected with the Bush regime.

Wolfowitz is a strong promoter of the policies that caused the debt crisis that are plaguing the developing world. He is closely linked with an American President who has driven the United States to the brink of bankruptcy. Neither Bush nor Wolfowitz have much credibility in Europe or the developing world.

The idea of Bono running the World Bank is a bad joke. The idea of Wolfowitz running it is an even worse joke.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Reverend Blair said:

Looking at you with a little suspicion here Rev.

There is nothing here that leads me to believe that Bono as your choice was a joke.

Hmmmmmmm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Bono wasn't my choice...he was first put forth as a candidate jokingly by members of the international press. Some people began taking it seriously and it became an even bigger joke because, after the appointment of John R. Bolton to the UN it was clear that Bono would be a better choice than anybody that Bush was likely to nominate for the position.

You really don't pay much attention to what's going on in the world, do you?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Reverend Blair said:

Hmmmmm.... Yup.... starstruck I think.

Here are some other suggestions for you...

Maybe a Barbara Striesand or an Alec Baldwin. Sean Penn maybe! :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Bono actually has more experience dealing with the international community in matters of non-military aid, and has worked with both the IMF and the World Bank on several initiatives. He is more qualified than Wolfie is.

Of course if you knew what was going on in the world you would have been aware of that, EagleSmack. Your ignorance is showing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Reverend Blair said:
Bono actually has more experience dealing with the international community in matters of non-military aid, and has worked with both the IMF and the World Bank on several initiatives. He is more qualified than Wolfie is.

Of course if you knew what was going on in the world you would have been aware of that, EagleSmack. Your ignorance is showing.

WHAAAAAT!

Bono is... (holding my side laughing) Bono is WHAT!

(Dropping to floor in hysterics)

He is a singer in an Irish Music Group! They had a U2 Block on the radio this morning. He is a celebrity!

He has been making music since he was a teenager and that is it. Why, because he uses his money to get on a flight to Africa and has photo shoots with world leaders you think he is qualified!

Latest quote by Bono

"HELLO HELLO (OLA!) In a place called Vertigo!"

LMAO

Hey years ago Paul Newman wrote a report on how to disarm the world of Nuclear Weapons. Maybe we should send him to the UN.

He also makes salad dressings and has his own line of salsas and hot sauces! :lol: :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Bono is... (holding my side laughing) Bono is WHAT!

Bono has been involved in aid programs for years. He has attended several policy meetings on debt relief with the World Bank and IMF. He has met with several world leaders about the debt crisis in the developing world. He is respected and considered to have a good grasp of the Issues.

If you actually knew anything about world events, you would aware of that. You would also be aware that Paul Wolfowitz has none of those qualifications.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I'm not embarrassed at all. I know I'm right. You, on the other hand, are displaying an amazing amount of ignorance.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Bono! You said Bono should have been the choice and you're not embarrassed?

Rev... he is an entertainer. He gets up on stage and sings. Boy are you starstruck.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Is he or is he not a singer? Does he not entertain?

Are those not facts?

Get a clue.... this is becoming way to easy.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Those are not the pertinent facts. The fact is that he's more qualified, because of work he's done with the various entities involved, than Paul Wolfowitz is. Either refute that statement with facts, or admit that you're wrong, or just be quiet.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Listen.... Bono is a singer. He is in the Irish rock group called U2.

They actually just released an album.

Just because he has used his celebrity to squeeze into some meetings and flights to Africa does not make him anymore qualified than you or I.

If Bono was a roofer... do you think he would be welcome to these places?

Celebrities use their money and wealth to muscle in on popular issues. Because they are so damn wealthy and their wallets and purses can help a great deal they are given room on flights and committees to keep the checks coming.