Bird flu or missile defence, which is a bigger threat?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
With all the money America is going to throw into missile defence, the U.S. will be taken totally off guard. It wont be an "axis of evil" but a fle. The bird flu is likely to be like the 1918 flu pandemic. This virus kills at least 70 percent of the people it infects. There are no missiles being fired at America. But if these third world countries continue to suffer, it will spread to countries like Canada and the United States. First world nations cant ignore it anymore because it now affects us directly.

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
Seriously, there are more people killed in car wrecks than by war; more Americans killed by guns than by flu. Sooner or later there will be another pandemic. Bird flu? Who knows? It could easily be some disease we never heard of. Don't worry about it. Drive carefully and get rid of your gun.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Careful about what read and hear about bird flu only 42 people have died from it so far .Way more people have died this year from normal influenza than bird flu .Also they have not identified one case of person to person infection yet .If there is a pandemic my guess is that the globalists will have released some sort of bio weapon .Its definetly there M.O

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Actually, an 81 year old man had it, transfered it to the nurse who was caring for him, and his grandson. The longer the virus circulates, and the more poultry and people it infects, the greater the chance it will mix with a human influenza strain and trigger a global pandemic. This is what doctors and scientest are saying. What I'm saying is that it's stupid to put money into a system that doesn't work like missile defence instead of actually looking after the population of your country.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
In the UK we have ordered loads of the drugs to combat this flu- enough to treat 1 in 4 people. So better get in there first with it or you won't get any treatment!!
Apparently it will also be given to priority groups first- the Police, Doctors, etc...Nice!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Bird flu or missile d

Yeah, you can bet that the politicians and businessmen will be first in line for their shots.

We might get the last laugh though. There is a pretty good chance that whatever disease it is, and Gonzo is right about the Bird Flu, that it will mutate enough when it becomes easily transferrable between humans that the vaccines won't work.

The 1918 flu pandemic killed more people than WWI did. It screwed things up enough that a lot of historians credit it with bringing the war to an early end.

It spread quickly because the war brought an unprecedented (at that time) amount of intercontinental travel with it. The travel that was unprecedented then is miniscule today. If something like that hits, we're seriously screwed.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
Honestly...I'm quite worried about it. It's bound to go human to human eventually- viruses are constantly mutating. Even though it has only officially killed 43 people it has a 75% death rate!! And there may more deaths which have been put down to another illness.

I certainly know that I don't want my family or myself to catch this flu!! If there are any cases in the UK it will bring things to a standstill- people won't want to venture out of their houses!! It will be manic.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Bird flu or missile d

It's currently hitting Vietnam hard. Are all people in Vietnam registered? Is the entire population able to visit a doctor and be diagnoses? Are there any who may simply die from bird flu and it be thought by family as something else?

are the statistics from some asian countries going to be...acurate?

SARS was a learning lesson, but have all learned?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
i agree totaly that misssle defense money would be better spent combating things like bird flu.The fact is the powers that be don't care about us only themselves.When sars broke out a relative in respatory health care told me the goverment quietly went out and bought a large number of ventilators .That tells me that sars was much more dangerous and contagious than we were led to believe.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
EmmaDibbs said:
Even though it has only officially killed 43 people it has a 75% death rate!!

It would be more dangerous if it had a 10% death rate. Parasitic diseases that kill their hosts so efficiently tend not to spread as much as they otherwise would, for obvious reasons.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
I don't think it kills particularly quickly though so it's not like it won't have time to spread. People are clearly worried about it in Europe- my bosses have just come back from France and there were warnings about Bird Flu at the Frence and UK airports.