Missile "defence"?

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
missle "defence"?

$130 Billion into it, $50 Billion more to come, and the program only has a .500 batting record - on top of which, iirc, the "successes" involved target missles with a transmitter aboard that essentially shouted out "HERE I AM!", a favour that I think Korea is somehow unlikely to do for us.....

Does anyone truly believe in this "hit a bullet with a bullet" concept?

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
And then there's the "minor" matter of where the nuke will fall, once hit.... anybody got a globe and a piece of string? Hmmmm???

Oh - for those that DON'T, how about from Korea to the south-east US?

or to DC?

or to Tulsa?

very nice....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Funny how that works isn't it?

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, BMD ha almost no chance of succeeding. Mind you that was never it's real purpose. It's real purpose is to be a stepping stone on the way to the weaponization of space.

10 years from now "god rods" will be part of the common lexicon.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"It's real purpose is to be a stepping stone on the way to the weaponization of space. "

Which is the next logical step in defence.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Reminds me of the arms race. If everyone had weapons in space, what’s the point? Perhaps if the States improved its foreign policy, it wouldn't have to worry about attacks.
Missile defense doesn't work. It never has. The only thing the Patriot missiles shot down in the war on Iraq is a British jet. America right now is a sinking ship; the next government will inherit a huge debt, something Bush said he wouldn't do. Why should Canada jump on board a sinking ship?

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
Gonzo said:
America right now is a sinking ship; the next government will inherit a huge debt, something Bush said he wouldn't do. Why should Canada jump on board a sinking ship?

Yes, why? All the evidence says we should be paddling our canoe in another direction.

The US is armed to the teeth and led by fanatics. Sure, it's going down, but who's it going to take down with it?

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
It's interesting - I introduced the same topic on two other forums, one with Canadians SOMEWHAT outnumbered by Americans, the other where they are VERY outnumbered.

In the former, there was some sharing of concern, including on North Dakaton sardonically saying "Thanks guys! Whaddaya know, the Canucks got our back again!"

In the latter, aside from one or two, the attitude is *shrug* "Them's the breaks."

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Then there's our new ambassador to the US stating blatantly that we've already joined BMD through the NORAD deal. Paul Martin has been a baaaad boy. Then there's Stephen Harper trying to pretend that he wasn't backing this a few short months ago.

Who are these clowns and why are they lying to us?

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: Official Shrub Snub #2 - Canada will not participate

Pettigrew, our comical Defence Minister, announced this morning [Feb 24 2005] that Canada will not take part in America's missile defence program. {is it missles or missiles?]

This is the 2nd time Canada has snubbed Bush [i.e."Shrub Snub"], the first being the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

It makes me proud! Well, giddy maybe. Or is it FEAR I am feeling?
...anyway, I am glad Canada is not participating in this ridiculous exersize.

As stated before, it won't work, the fallout would happen anyhow [good graphics TenPack!], and mostly , its just crazy to build missile bases to shoot down missles that have never yet been shot at this continent, are not being shot at us now, and likely are not ever coming.

Its allways something else, some hidden agenda with Shrub and his White House cabal. Weaponisation of space, whatever...

What is it with them - do they know something we don't, like aliens or a comet coming or that jews are nasty? Nawww, those things are all just a hoax they perpetrate to put some good ol' fear into the people. Tactics, like fear, like demonising another race to get some hate going, and distraction so we won't see what they are really up to.

A list of the tactics that these Elites use would help. Then we could identify them and know when they are up to no good. Oh , golly, here is that list now:

Manipulation
Deception
Fear
Division of peoples
Demonising
Distraction
Creating Instability
Suppression
Disinformation
Scapegoating
Provocation

When you see these being used, consider it likely that the perps are at it again. Perps? - ya, those global-dominating Elitist bstards like Bush, and those who tell Bush what to do.

geez, I got sidetracked a bit. The news is the Shrub Snub Two, and I feel quite good about that!!

Karlin

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Now Martin said we are not going to join, sugar coating it with an increase in spending on the military (which I think we should do). Critics say that we wont have any decision on defending our country against missiles. But when has a missile been shot at North America? And if they did shoot at the States, the Missile Defence wont intercept it. It doesn't work. And it will never work. Since the first Gulf War, they have not improved missile interception at all. Why should we through away our money at a useless right wing fear tactic.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Did anybody see Cellucci on The Hour (the George Strombolopolous show) last night. He's disappointed and doesn't get it. He's trying to say that by not joining we are giving up sovereignty. I think Paul Cellucci has been taking advantage of the availability of cheap chemicals for too long.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I saw that show. I liked the host.

I don't doubt Cellucci doesn't get it.

I'm not sure i do either.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I saw that show. I liked the host.

He used to be VJ on Much Music.

I don't doubt Cellucci doesn't get it.

I'm not sure i do either.

How can missile defence possibly protect our sovereignty? The US is doing it whether we sign on or not and Martin's line was that it wouldn't cost us anything to have a seat at the table.

You know what they call the guy who sits in on meetings but doesn't contribute? The lackey who gets the coffee.

That does nothing to protect our sovereignty, in fact it puts our sovereignty in danger because we'd signing onto positions that may not be in our best interests. It would also impinge our role in world affairs because we would be seen as nothing more than a satellite state of the US....Like Poland was to the USSR during the Cold War.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"He used to be VJ on Much Music."

I thought I recognised him.

I don't get the whole position Canada takes on this issue.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
RB,

I just heard Dr James Ferguson from the U of M, a professor in international studies. He says that whether or Canada signs on will have absolutely no impact with regard to the rest of the world. The only thing Canada buys by not officially joining the defence system is the right to be completely out of the loop if an attack does take place.

Your right that the US will still develop the system and use it. However, now that the Liberals have snubbed their noses to the offer, we have no say in testing, implementation, when it is implemented, etc.

It would have cost us nothing to join in, other than possibly loaning some people and allowing some long range tests to be performed.

Now however, we have absolutely no say in any of the program. Great position to be in. If your the mouse in the elephant cage I would have thought you would want the elephant to let you know BEFORE it moves. Not looking around to see if the foot is coming down onto your head.

Billy Blaze

Feb 24, 2005
Ohio, USA
Re: RE: Missile "defence"?

tibear said:
RB,

It would have cost us nothing to join in, other than possibly loaning some people and allowing some long range tests to be performed.

Now however, we have absolutely no say in any of the program. Great position to be in. If your the mouse in the elephant case I would have thought you would want the elephant to let you know BEFORE it moves. Not looking around to see if the foot is coming down onto your head.

Man, don't sweat it. The system so far is a failure, and from what I understand it will exceed the sixty billion on our part (the US). It isn't worth your political capital to get involved in this goat rope, nor is the eventual price of the system worth it. And they worry about social security going bust down here.. what a joke.

I still don't get why the Joe Average down here doesn't get it. Anybody who hits us with a missile will be green glassed almost instantly, and this system won't stop a primitive truck-sized nuke riding on a freighter from sailing into New York harbor.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Remember Reagans "Star Wars" plan? Didn't happen. Bush is just about as bright as Reagan was. The media is asking how Canada will shoot down a missile if one is headed towards Toronto. Will we have to rely on America to shoot it down. But the question is inane. America couldn't shoot it down anyway. No one can. Plus, no one wants to shoot a missile at us. When has a missile ever been shot at us? One more thing, America is so in debt now thanks to this stupid war, they realy cant afford this program. All they wanted was Canada's surplus. Bush looks like a drowning man, begging Europe and Canada to help get his country out of the huge hole they dug.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It would have cost us international respect, something we are supposed to be trying to rebuild. BMD is the first step on the way to putting weapons in space. The US government has said as much. Canada has always opposed the weaponization of space.

BMD has also atarted a new arms race. Russia and China have already said as much. We stayed out of the last arms race as much as possible and we are a better country because of it.

There was no advantage to joining because the US does as it pleases anyway.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
The only reason we are not joining is that Martin has a miniority government. If he had a majority or gets a majority next time, we will be involved. It is just political grandstanding at the moment, so his government does not fall. Martin used to be for it at one time...so he is just flip flopping for political gain.