Good Friends?

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Will Bush still do business with these 'oppressive' allies?
From Roland Watson
January 22, 2005

GOOD FRIENDS?

Amnesty International’s verdict last year on:

Saudi Arabia: “Gross human rights violations continued and were exacerbated by government ‘anti-terrorism’ policies and acts of violence. Hundreds of suspected religious activists, critics of the state and protesters were arrested or detained. Torture and ill-treatment remained rife.”

China: “Tens of thousands of people continued to be detained or imprisoned in violation of their rights to freedom of expression and association, and were at serious risk of torture or ill-treatment. China continued to use the international ‘war against terrorism’ as a pretext for cracking down on peaceful dissent.”

Russia: “Security forces continued to enjoy almost total impunity for serious violations of human rights committed in the Chechen Republic. Elsewhere there were continuing reports of torture and ill-treatment.”

Uzbekistan: “At least 6,000 political prisoners, who included dozens of women, continued to be held in cruel, inhuman and degrading conditions. Hundreds of people suspected of political or religious dissent were harassed, beaten and detained without trial, Torture was reported to have resulted in the death of at least three men in custody.”

Egypt: “Thousands of suspected supporters of banned Islamist groups remained in detention without charge or trial. Torture of detainees continued to be systematic.”

. . . and what Mr Bush promised:

“We will persistently clarify the choice before every ruler and every nation: the moral choice between oppression, which is always wrong, and freedom, which is eternally right.

“America will not pretend that jailed dissidents prefer their chains, or that women welcome humiliation and servitude, or that any human being aspires to live at the mercy of bullies.

“We will encourage reform in other governments by making clear that success in our relations will require the decent treatment of their own people.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1451117,00.html

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
From Roland Watson
January 22, 2005

GOOD FRIENDS?

Saudi Arabia: “Gross human rights violations continued and were exacerbated by government ‘anti-terrorism’ policies and acts of violence. Hundreds of suspected religious activists, critics of the state and protesters were arrested or detained. Torture and ill-treatment remained rife.”

China: “Tens of thousands of people continued to be detained or imprisoned in violation of their rights to freedom of expression and association, and were at serious risk of torture or ill-treatment. China continued to use the international ‘war against terrorism’ as a pretext for cracking down on peaceful dissent.”

Russia: “Security forces continued to enjoy almost total impunity for serious violations of human rights committed in the Chechen Republic. Elsewhere there were continuing reports of torture and ill-treatment.”

Uzbekistan: “At least 6,000 political prisoners, who included dozens of women, continued to be held in cruel, inhuman and degrading conditions. Hundreds of people suspected of political or religious dissent were harassed, beaten and detained without trial, Torture was reported to have resulted in the death of at least three men in custody.”

Egypt: “Thousands of suspected supporters of banned Islamist groups remained in detention without charge or trial. Torture of detainees continued to be systematic.”

“We will persistently clarify the choice before every ruler and every nation: the moral choice between oppression, which is always wrong, and freedom, which is eternally right.

“America will not pretend that jailed dissidents prefer their chains, or that women welcome humiliation and servitude, or that any human being aspires to live at the mercy of bullies.

“We will encourage reform in other governments by making clear that success in our relations will require the decent treatment of their own people.”

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
From Roland Watson
January 22, 2005

GOOD FRIENDS?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I've never understood why they trade with China, let alone favorite nation trading status.

Perhaps they worry Christmas won't be the same without any toys.....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I've never understood why they trade with China, let alone favorite nation trading status.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
I've long told anyone that would listen, that if the US or Britain or even the UN for that matter was really concerned about human rights. I would believe them when we see them trying to correct the situation in China, probably the largest single abuser of human rights in the world.

Until that day, they are simply powers picking battles for other reasons under the guise of human rights.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
I've long told anyone that would listen, that if the US or Britain or even the UN for that matter was really concerned about human rights. I would believe them when we see them trying to correct the situation in China, probably the largest single abuser of human rights in the world.

Until that day, they are simply powers picking battles for other reasons under the guise of human rights.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
Re: RE: Good Friends?

Jay said:

Where do you think they get the parts for their hi-tech military hardware?

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC

Jay said:

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC

Jay said:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Mooseskin Johnny said:
Jay said:

You mean the US buys it from China?

I thought that China stole it from the US....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Mooseskin Johnny said:
Jay said:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Mooseskin Johnny said:
Jay said: