Why are there no fundraisers for the Iraqi dead?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
01/11/05 "The Guardian" -- I am bewildered by the world reaction to the tsunami tragedy. Why are newspapers, television and politicians making such a fuss? Why has the British public forked out more than £100m to help the survivors, and why is Tony Blair now promising "hundreds of millions of pounds"? Why has Australia pledged £435m and Germany £360m? And why has Mr Bush pledged £187m? Of course it's wonderful to see the human race rallying to the aid of disaster victims, but it's the inconsistency that has me foxed. Nobody is making this sort of fuss about all the people killed in Iraq, and yet it's a human catastrophe of comparable dimensions.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article7663.htm

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
01/11/05 "The Guardian" -- I am bewildered by the world reaction to the tsunami tragedy. Why are newspapers, television and politicians making such a fuss? Why has the British public forked out more than £100m to help the survivors, and why is Tony Blair now promising "hundreds of millions of pounds"? Why has Australia pledged £435m and Germany £360m? And why has Mr Bush pledged £187m? Of course it's wonderful to see the human race rallying to the aid of disaster victims, but it's the inconsistency that has me foxed. Nobody is making this sort of fuss about all the people killed in Iraq, and yet it's a human catastrophe of comparable dimensions.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Good question.

Maybe people are waiting for the Americans to leave? I don't think "W" wants anyone or anygroup "showing him up" or "Interfering" as "W" would call it.

They do need help, but until USA is out or is more co operative what can we do?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Good question.

Maybe people are waiting for the Americans to leave? I don't think "W" wants anyone or anygroup "showing him up" or "Interfering" as "W" would call it.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Good question.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The D.J's that I listen to in the morning surmised that the reason for such a huge outpouring was the believe that this event was beyond human control.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The D.J's that I listen to in the morning surmised that the reason for such a huge outpouring was the believe that this event was beyond human control.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Twila nailed that one. Being beyond human control makes the tsunami a real natural disaster. The war in Iraq was caused by politics....it's not a mess most people want to be involved in. With the tsunami, there's no "lifestyle disease" issue, like some seem to feel with AIDS, and there's no politics. It's clean.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Twila nailed that one. Being beyond human control makes the tsunami a real natural disaster. The war in Iraq was caused by politics....it's not a mess most people want to be involved in. With the tsunami, there's no "lifestyle disease" issue, like some seem to feel with AIDS, and there's no politics. It's clean.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I think people as individuals do not give to the Iraqis because 1) there seems to be nobody to send the money to (of course, the Iraqis, but is there anybody who can direct it, who ensures that the money comes where it should be?); 2) the situation is for most people in the West, whom I think do not really take extra time to really find out what is going on in Iraq, far too complex and confusing to chose sides. Of course, innocent Iraqis were and are hurt, but meanwhile, the media also reports that there are Iraqi insurgents etc. I think it's just 'too hot to handle' for most.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I think people as individuals do not give to the Iraqis because 1) there seems to be nobody to send the money to (of course, the Iraqis, but is there anybody who can direct it, who ensures that the money comes where it should be?); 2) the situation is for most people in the West, whom I think do not really take extra time to really find out what is going on in Iraq, far too complex and confusing to chose sides. Of course, innocent Iraqis were and are hurt, but meanwhile, the media also reports that there are Iraqi insurgents etc. I think it's just 'too hot to handle' for most.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com