Islamophobia spreading far and wide

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
The growing new phenomenon labeled "Islamophobia" - the paranoid fear of Muslims - is fast spreading, both in the United States and in Western Europe, warn academics, Middle East experts and senior United Nations officials.

Alarmed at the rising racial and religious intolerance, the UN is expressing "deep concern" over the increase in anti-Semitism, Christianophobia and Islamophobia worldwide. A resolution adopted by the 191-member UN General Assembly this week calls upon all states to cooperate with the UN Commission on Human Rights to eliminate the growing new trends in racial and religious discrimination.

http://www.iviews.com/Articles/articles.asp?ref=AS0412-2564

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
"Great" article moghrabi (as in: very interesting, but of course not what I would classify as "good news", you know what I mean?) ... very disturbing indeed. Although I don't know any hardcore haters of the Islam within my group of family and friends, I do have noticed that the average image of a "Muslim" (I mean, what's a Muslim? They are as diverse as Christians or any other religion) has become more negative the last few years. Before 9/11, people didn't bother much about Islam. Now there are people who just plain fear Islam, and out of that feeling, start to hate it. Disturbing.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: Islamophobia spreading far and wide

Rick van Opbergen said:
"Great" article moghrabi (as in: very interesting, but of course not what I would classify as "good news", you know what I mean?) ... very disturbing indeed. Although I don't know any hardcore haters of the Islam within my group of family and friends, I do have noticed that the average image of a "Muslim" (I mean, what's a Muslim? They are as diverse as Christians or any other religion) has become more negative the last few years. Before 9/11, people didn't bother much about Islam. Now there are people who just plain fear Islam, and out of that feeling, start to hate it. Disturbing.

It is a natural response for the west to fear Muslims after 9/11. Let's assume that 20 people from India did that. The hatred will be focused against Hinduism and the we may call it hinduphobia.

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
This stuff started before 9/11. After the Berlin Wall came down, Hollywood, and others, began looking for new bogeymen and latched onto Muslims. They did their homework. Do you remember the Oklahoma City bombing? The first reaction was that Islamic terrorists had done it. The news media went nuts for a bit. Remember? I think that if G.W. had been Pres. that McVeigh would have got away with it because Bush would have used the pretext to attack a Muslim country.

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
For some reason, which I don't understand people seem to need scapegoats. Jews, Muslims, Commies, Terrorists, Liberals, the Irish, black people, brown people, whatever. The thing is, scapegoats are interchangeable; and reversible. It really boils down to fearful people with small minds pointing fingers at those they see as different.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
You put it perfectly. It has been done since the creation of man. If I want to do something bad, I can always point at you as a scape goat (not literally).

The US is using this now more and more. They like to blame everything on their current scapegoat (the Muslims). Once they are done with the Muslims (if they ever will) the Chinese might be next.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: Islamophobia spreading far and wide

Rick van Opbergen said:
On the other hand, America too is becoming a scape goat in the eyes of some.

It is about time. They scapegoated everybody else. Now they have to taste their own poison.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Of course not. You think it is unjust they are scapegoating everyone else; then how would it be different this time? I'm not pointing at the results for the Bush & Co.; I'm pointing at normal Americans who have the possibility to be seen as scape goat by the rest of the world. I don't know how this could be more fair than vice versa.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I am a normal Arab person who don't give a damn if they point a hatred finger at me. I know myself. now, who is scapegoating. at least 50% of the Americans and some. these people should taste how it feels to be scapegoated. The Innocent and the brave will not give a damn about it. The rest who feels they control the world should feel it. For example, going to Europe and being questioned for hours about their passport and so on. Exactly what they do in the states if I go today.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I did not say I hate it. They want to do it and they are doing it, fine. I can be profiled and I have been. Now it is their turn.

All what I am saying here is some Americans must have their noses rubbed a little to feel with others. Talking to them doesn't help. Some Americans think that they can play God on Earth.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Well sure, some do, but I am saying that not only these Americans, but in fact all Americans can become victim of scape goating, and that is being more and more so. Like Islamophobia is on the rise, so is anti-Americanism, and we should fight both.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
We must fight against all kind of hatred against our fellow human beings. But the point here is more hypothetical so that if Americans can taste a little, may be this becomes part of the healing.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Sometimes to heal a bad cough you have to take a bitter medicine. It will have a negative effect, so what. Isn't Islamophbia having a negative effect or must we only worry about the US and their feelings.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
None of it is right. I think you are misunderstanding what i am saying.

Islamophobia is wrong but it is a natural response to bad events. Now, these bad events are happening to Islam and a lot of other people in the name of the US. So there will be a USophobia coming. It is a natural response again.

What I am saying is when fellow Americans feel the phobia against them, they might start to be less obnoxious toward other people.

I hope I am being clear.