An American diplomat

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
The folowing was written by an American foriegn service officer. Part humor, some frustration, always right on...

I just got back from a truly horrendous event for the local diplomatic corps and I'm bursting with bile...

The topics of discussion were, of course, the USA, Bush, our obsession with warfare, and our avoidance of the Kyoto Treaty.

More seriously, I continue to be amazed at how little ostensibly sophisticated people know about how the world works and the vital role played by the relentless US military machine in keeping the world working. Except for the Singaporean, who had a very hard-nosed, practical and pro-American ("We want the US Navy in our waters.") view of the world, the rest didn't have a clue. They prattled on and on about how the EU is blazing the path, a conflict-free path into the 21st century.

I couldn't make them understand that if tomorrow the United States became like Europe is today, then Europe would have to become like the United States is today. They can disarm, because we won't; their kids can talk about peace, because our kids fight the wars. Too hard to understand, I guess.

That is just a few snips. The rest may be found here

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
I fail to see a single war that the u.s. fights to protect Europe since ww2. Even then, Europeans (and Canadians) fought for a couple of years before the u.s. entered. The u.s. military "keeping the world working", funny. I remember being with u.s. military in vietnam, it made sure as much of the country was destroyed as possible in order to leave the victors as little as possible.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I've been trying not to comment on this, but I've read the f***** about fifteen times and it keeps pointing towards the basic problem with US foreign policy.

The point of diplomacy isn't to dominate or destroy others, it's to find ways to get along in a mutually beneficial manner.

The arrogant stupidity ot hings like, "Much worse. I, The Chief Diplomad, His Excellency The Internet Pontificator and Bloviator, got seated at a large round table FULL OF EUROPEAN DIPLOMATS, UN BUREAUCRATS, AND (GASP!) NGO REPS!!! " seriously show the writer to be a half-bright jingoistic fool.

When he progresses to:
"Inger: Ve are very vorried about glow-ball vorming. Vhy aren't you vorried about glow-ball vorming?

TD: Huh? You're worried about worming? Your government is worried about worms? Like with a dog?

Inger: Not vorm, vorm! Glow-ball vorming! The vorld is getting hat!

TD: Oh, global warming. Hot, yeah. It's bullshit and you know it . . ."

He shows not only his arrogance but his ignorance.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
Re: RE: An American diplomat

Reverend Blair said:
The point of diplomacy isn't to dominate or destroy others, it's to find ways to get along in a mutually beneficial manner.

I think I disagree. Your idea of diplomacy flies in the face of human history and the very nature of humans.

Let's see...

The Egyptians

The Persians

The Babylonians

The Byzantines

The Romans

The British

Many more I failed to mention.

All empires. All ruled much or most of the known world during their reign. This romantic notion that humans should all cooperate and be peaceful is noble. And unrealistic.

Accept your human qualities. Resistance is futile.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
As I recall, the U.S. insisted on war reparations after WW2 and both Germany and Japan were paying through the nose until sometime in the 90's.

The U.S. did not fight WW2 for free! It was not kindness or generosity towards Europe.

Calm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The Egyptians

The Persians

The Babylonians

The Byzantines

The Romans

The British

Many more I failed to mention.

All empires that fell. So when we tell you that your empire is making the same mistakes why won't you listen?

aupook

Nominee Member
Dec 8, 2004
Starbucks
Americans should institute the ancient irish tradition for the rule of kings. Elected for five years, and than they became a roast, of which the sucessors would dine upon. This would ensure a orderly transition of state power and definately bury all the hatchets. This would ensure that only those truly interested in public service would apply for the job. For we all know that the basis of good governership is based on self- sacrifice. The motto is sad but true.
"to rule is to serve".