6/10 Canadians are worried about Bush

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Cdns. like Americans but not Bush, poll finds
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Nearly two-thirds of Canadians had an unfavourable view of U.S. President George W. Bush, even though most Canadians said they had a good opinion of Americans, suggests a poll done for The Associated Press.

Just over six in 10 said they were "worried'' and "disappointed'' by Bush's re-election last month, said the poll conducted by Ipsos-Reid Nov. 19-22., a little more than a week before his first official visit to Canada.

Source

Continuing my news-scrounging tonight, I found this article which may go hand-in-hand with the other polls we've seen; specifically the one that says 80% of Canadians harbour dislike (or hate) for George W. Bush.. New polls are saying that Canadians are worried. Which is quite reasonable seeing as many Canadians didn't even want the man to step on Canadian soil. Not to mention the chatter going on in message boards across the net like this one!

Well, for the record: You can count me in that 6/10 Canadians which fear the wrath of Mr. Bush. I'm actually worried he will choose another country to declare war on before his second term is finished.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I don't know what he would gain if he made military attacks on us, Rick. Ofcourse, we do have the world's fresh water supply and we also supply the US with a large portion of their oil intake.

In Iraq, there are not even really able to take advatage of the oil there because of the continuing war that ensues the country. The country is in shambles and every time they try to drill for oil, it's blown up or set on fire. I don't know that the same would happen here.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Plus the middle east oil has to much sulpher for normal North American use. Americans mistakenly believe they get mass amounts of oil from the middle east which they don't. They get 95% of natural gas from us, all their excess power they require and oil. Yet they treat us like garbage.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: 6/10 Canadians are wo

They have no need to invade. Our leaders, starting with Mulroney, kind of gave them the country. If that changes though, an invasion would very likely be considered. The idea would be dropped almost immediately because invading Canada would be a declaration of war on the rest of the world.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

We'll survive it 007. How well depends on what our leaders do over the next few years...if they return to multi-lateralism or continue on the course of bilateralism we've been on. Martin seems to be trying to have it both ways, which isn't going to work as long the radical right controls government in the US.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

4+ years, but there's a 50% chance that Jeb Bush or somebody like him will win the next election. The biggest thing that could affect that right now is a move for impeachment of Bush after the 2006 mid-terms.

Four years is a very long time though, a lot can change.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Everything can get better. It can also get worse. Right now it's looking like worse. What's important on our end is that we deal with it by planning for the worst instead of hoping for the best. I haven;t seen much of that from our leaders.

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
All I can say is something is happening down here and it's getting more frightening each day. As long as we continue to be led be a regime that knows how to manipulate our fears, prejudices, religion of extreme nationalism, ignorance and delusions, nothing will get better.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I can imagine there are other things to worry about - like the environment, or the economy; for what I understand is the US economy has a large influence on the Canadian economy, like the German economy has a large influence on the Dutch.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It has a huge influence on us. Our big problem is that our leaders do not want to recognise that we can have as big an effect on the US as they have on us because we supply so many strategic sectors...mostly energy.

A lot of Canadian leaders, including our PM and the Leader of the Official Opposition, have very close business and/or personal ties to the US. It's a huge conflict of interest and one that is never recognised.