Is Islam Endangering 'Europeanness?'

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Is Islam Endangering 'Europeanness?'
As Muslim Populations Increase, 'Islamophobia' Rises in Europe
By LEELA JACINTO
Dec. 7, 2004 - It was not what she said, but the way she looked and her manner of dress that had the crowd hooting and jeering as she addressed a conference in Paris last year.

When Salma Yaqoob, a 32-year-old British Muslim activist, took the stand at the November 2003 European Social Forum, she was taken aback by the ruckus.

As chairwoman of the Stop the War Coalition in Birmingham, England, Yaqoob was in Paris to talk about the backlash against British Muslims sparked off by the war on terror during a session titled "Dimensions of Islam." But it was her veil, or hijab, that turned into the subject of an acrimonious dispute.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=289575&page=1

JorCON5

Dec 14, 2004
St Catharines ON
Perhaps the growing number of former Christian (athiests) stemming from the rise of science and technology as our new master (and for the most part overlord) is giving rise to a fear of a strong faith. Generally many modern societies (except for the US) distrust religion when paired with politics. This is quite different in many Muslim societies where state and faith are still fused. The fact that someone is willing to die for their beliefs in today's age of modern inauthenticity and mechanized idols frightens atheists and closet christians (people who believe in God but do not go to church, etc).

Muslims are generally received as the "other", a strange group who's presence "threatens" modern society.

Personally I think these views are prejudicial and forwarded by ignorance. Muslims have a dynamic and interesting religion with different customs which ultimately enriches the society. After all, without diversity we are just a bar code in a hyper consumeristic vacuum playing games on our cell phones and destroying the environment.

Some people always need a whipping boy. Whether it be race, class, or creed.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I think one of the reasons Islamophobia is (still) on the rise in Europe is that a lot of Europeans do not identify themselves with Muslims, many of whom come from countries who do not have the same points of view. This "non-identification" is fueled by the fact that the majority of Muslims in Europe belong to the lower class, and by that cluster together in the "bad" neighborhoods. The far majority of "white" Europeans have absolutely no contact with them whatsoever, which enlarges the risk of prejudices about Muslims gaining ground - there is no one to tell differently.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: Is Islam Endangering 'Europeanness?'

JorCON5 said:
Perhaps the growing number of former Christian (athiests) stemming from the rise of science and technology as our new master (and for the most part overlord) is giving rise to a fear of a strong faith. Generally many modern societies (except for the US) distrust religion when paired with politics. This is quite different in many Muslim societies where state and faith are still fused. The fact that someone is willing to die for their beliefs in today's age of modern inauthenticity and mechanized idols frightens atheists and closet christians (people who believe in God but do not go to church, etc).

Muslims are generally received as the "other", a strange group who's presence "threatens" modern society.

Personally I think these views are prejudicial and forwarded by ignorance. Muslims have a dynamic and interesting religion with different customs which ultimately enriches the society. After all, without diversity we are just a bar code in a hyper consumeristic vacuum playing games on our cell phones and destroying the environment.

Some people always need a whipping boy. Whether it be race, class, or creed.

JorCon5. Welcome to our little board. I like your way of putting it. You are 100% right.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: Is Islam Endangering 'Europeanness?'

Rick van Opbergen said:
I think one of the reasons Islamophobia is (still) on the rise in Europe is that a lot of Europeans do not identify themselves with Muslims, many of whom come from countries who do not have the same points of view. This "non-identification" is fueled by the fact that the majority of Muslims in Europe belong to the lower class, and by that cluster together in the "bad" neighborhoods. The far majority of "white" Europeans have absolutely no contact with them whatsoever, which enlarges the risk of prejudices about Muslims gaining ground - there is no one to tell differently.

Rick, Do muslims in Europe have any other chance of living in places other than the slums of Europe where the rich don't have any contact with them?

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
moghrabi said:
Rick van Opbergen said:

Rick, Do muslims in Europe have any other chance of living in places other than the slums of Europe where the rich don't have any contact with them?
Tough question. There is a growing Muslim middle class surfacing in Europe who settle in the better neighborhoods. In the Netherlands, for what I know, people are free to buy a house where ever they want. So in theory, Muslims can escape the slums where they live. But of course, that does not match reality, and I think the answer to your question is very difficult.

For one, and research in the Netherlands has proved that, it is harder for foreigners - not only for Muslims - to get a job than "white" Europeans (I put "white" between brackets, because it can also include Europeans who are not by definition "white", but who act "white" ... Maybe I can better replace that with "autochtonous European" instead of "white", for example, Indonesians in the Netherlands, who are not by definition white by the color of their skin but are accepted as "one of us" by the far majority of the Dutch ... Sounds confusing eh?). People with a Turkish or Moroccan sounding name have less chance of being invited to a job interview than people with a Dutch name like "Jansen" or "de Vries". Their chance of being hired is even smaller. This makes it harder for Muslims to get a good job.

Many Muslims lack good education. The number of Muslim youth who finish their A-levels is much smaller than the number of Dutch who finish their A-levels. For some part, the environment in which many Muslim youth are grown up is to blame (according to some); they do not recieve the same stimulans as Dutch youth get from their parents, is the complaint; there is the claim that many parents do not care about the education of their childen. In a survey conducted under parents in a slum in Amsterdam, more than halve of the mothers could not name the school their child or children were visiting.

However, certain researchers have said that the education given at so-called "black schools", schools where a majority of the students are (children of) immigrants and which are mainly situated in the "bad" neigborhoods, is below the level of "white schools". Many immigrant children need more attention than other children, for example to learn the language, and this special attention is not given, according to the critics.

Then there is the complaint - in general - by prominent Muslims as well as reseachers that the current society is not willing to absorb the new immigrants and their childen (as I said before). Muslims are not seen as, and not treated as, the same as "white Europeans". This makes a lot of Muslims to turn into their own group, isolate themselves from the rest of society. So even Muslims who have the opportunity to escape the slums will be reluctant to do so. Not so long ago I saw a French documentary on Belgian television about Muslims in France, and a Turkish teacher - who had the opportunity to live outside the slums where he grew up - decided to stay in this ghetto with his family - to be with his own group. He did feel French, but he knew he wasn't viewed at as being French by "the" French.

The complaint that a lot of European societies are not willing to absorb the Muslim immigrants among their midst is also said to be an explanation for the rising fundamentalism among Muslim youth in Europe.

JorCON5

Dec 14, 2004
St Catharines ON
I believe I read some where that most people who immigrate to Canada move to either Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal. Perhaps this could attribute to the trend of "lower" class living. I'm from a small town in NW Ontario and when I moved to the Toronto region I found that jobs are not only harder to come by, they often pay far less. For instance in my home town there are plenty of jobs (but it gets to -40 degrees C in the winter). For example a factory in SO might pay you 10-15 and hour but in NW Ontario mill (ie my home town) it is a mandatory $21 per hour.

Perhaps the presence of many other immigrants in the cities mentioned above may attribute to immigrants being overlooked and left out because of the competition in the job market. In my experience Toronto is a tough city for "white" Canadians....I couldn't imagine how hard it must be for new immigrants.