China's Energy Needs

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
RE: China

Greetings from China, Paranoid. I hate to break this to you, but China's attitude is: If Canada is allowed to have it, so are we. How do you argue with that unless you're prepared to set the example and have an international agreement limiting natural resource consumption on all parties concerned.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
This is where is gets ugly. To the US, China is the endgame.

"I don't think there is a place for both China and the US in the oil market; in the long run, it's a recipe for disaster." Dr. Gal Luft, Institute for the Analysis of Global Security

When China and too, India realize we (the west) have used up their portion of fossil fuels on our watch, the world with become much, much more of a precarious place to live (to say it nicely).

Will China, US Have to Compete in Global Search for Oil

Little more than a decade ago, China was able to produce enough of its own oil to satisfy domestic needs. That was before its economy started growing faster than any other in the world, forcing China to become a net importer of oil in 1993. China's economic boom is continuing, and so is its need for imported oil.

The United States and China are the number one and number two global consumers of oil. As China looks around the world for sources of oil, will its needs put it in competition over the finite resource with the United States?

http://www1.voanews.com/article.cfm...D-11D4-A57200A0CC5EE46C&categoryname=Business

The US with 6% of the world's population uses 25% of the world's oil.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
This is why we so desperately need to get off the fossil fuel habit. The world is like a junkie addicted to oil. It's painful to kick it, but continuing it's use will surely be our demise.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Especially given the report on the north released yesterday. Out of eight nations involved, the US is once again the only one refusing to recommend actions. How big a club do they need to whacked with to beat some sense into their heads?

We need to start working fast. My feeling is that we should quit supplying fossil fuels to any country that has not signed on to Kyoto immediately. We should begin to supply technological know how at cost to any developing nation that is interested. We should beat the crap out of Ralph Klein.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

So could Manitoba Hydro. We have to be careful about that though. The Chinese government has shown a tendency toward huge mega-projects that displace people and harm the environment. Help has to have strings attached.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

I say we attach Human rights to help. Conditions to any mega dam projects; acceptance of Canadian Human rights groups to go anywhere in China. That might be a little too much, but considering Canada is the world leader, by far, in hydro power (Thanks to HQ and HM) they might accept.... Well, really depends on alot of things.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

I read this article last night before I went to bed.. Very good reading, suggest everyone takes a look. Britain, I'm happy to see, will be going fully to renewable energy. But that doesn't stop the fact that China could be a major player (along with countries like the United States) in destroying the planet (not by dropping bombs).

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

China has shown signs of wanting to do the right things too, like holding contests for alternative fuel cars etc. They have some advantages there...they haven't got as much invested in infrastructure as we do, so investing in new infrastructure for alternative fuels is less expensive for them.

There's a guy down in the US who was developing a method for making eco-diesel from chicken shit a few years ago for instance...that would seem a natural for China. It's green-house neutral and works in conventional engines. I wish I had a link...

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Climate change is a runaway train - it can't be stopped at this stage.

Any useful changes will not have positive results possibly for centuries - at least not in this century.

Some experts argue climate adaptation is the best we can hope for.

On the bulletin board in my office I have a copy of an article I clipped from the G&M on September 16, 1989 - "Mankind on Brink of Destruction Because of Greed, Scientists Say"

Everyone screamed, "They're crying wolf!"

People don't understand this story. In the end, the wolf does indeed, show up.

The wolf is at the door.

British PM Blair: the evidence is now overwhelming that climate change is the single biggest long-term problem facing the world.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

What we do now determines what happens in the future though. We can make even worse things happen even quicker or we can smarten up.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hi!

Sorry for not replying earlier. I've been quite busy doing some research on the future energy requirements of countries.

What I appreciated about this article was the way in which it was written. Quite unusual and yet well explained.

China is now manufacturing more cars than the U.S. is.

I remember when I worked at a major cereal manufacturing company in Toronto. It was not until I visited the American plant in Millwalkee that I realized how small our market was here in Canada. The plant in the U.S. was large enough that they could satisfy the Canadian market just by picking up the scrap cereal which fell off coveyor belts during packaging.
China's car plants are the same way. If half a dozen chinese workers decide to work one Saturday a month, they could export and meet Canadian demands.

I find it exciting.
Perhaps Vancover will become the "shadow" capital of Canada because that is where trade from China will enter the country.

As global warming increases, and oceans expand, Florida won't be around to screw up another election. Bangladesh will lose 80% of it's land mass. (There goes Bangladesh!)

Maybe, by 2025, farmers out west will be growing pineapples.

It's a great life as you watch the changes.

Worked Till They Drop; Few Protections for China's New Laborers
http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/sweatshops/china/47.html

Poisoned Back Into Poverty
As China Lifts Industry Curbs, Hazards to Workers Rise
http://lists.iww.org/pipermail/iww-news/2002-August/000148.html

Calm

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Yes, as the Greenland ice sheet melts and the ocean level rises, Britain will have the most to lose. This is why Blair is so concerned.

"There is a lot wrong with our world. But it is not as bad as many people think. It is actually worse." British MP Michael Meacher

As we speak, China just revealed official greenhouse gas emission figures for first time. Small per capita but #2 in the world. And these are 10 year old numbers - they have greatly industrialized since then.

China now has 7 million cars - up from 700,000 ten years ago and are adding 2.5 million a year. Certainly this manufacturing base builds an economy but what are they going to power these with?

The world is on the cusp of a rude awakening.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
China has some very definite advantages over North America when it comes to adopting alternative fuels, wintersnow. We've been building an infrastructure almost completely reliant on fossil fuels here since the early 1900's. Fossil fuels are the real basis of our economy and the path to power for a lot of our elected officials.