Summary of the Patriot Act I & II

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
The Patriot Act I and II (link) have taken away American civil rights... only most Americans don't know it yet.
- Library books are monitored, as are cell phones, chat rooms and e.mail.

- Cameras are proliferate on freeways and in cities...Big Brother?...You have NO idea!

- Airports will now begin checking your bank account and credit report before allowing you to travel.

- Muslims and non-muslims are imprisoned for no reason, with no apology or attorney, for months on end.

- Neighbors are urged to turn in neighbors.
- Hatred for Muslims, the French and 30 million+ global anti-war protesters, is urged and applauded.

- U.S. Media and U.S. officials are asking for peace protesters and human shields to be prosecuted as criminals.

- The U.S. is billions in debt and congress does not care. Bush continuously requests money for U.S.military and Israel.

- It is more important to give $26 billion to Turkey so as to invade Iraq (Turkey declined), then it is to take care of American health, welfare, economy and unemployment.

- It is more important to attack a country - Iraq - who has threatened no harm or warfare to any other in 12 years.

- It is more important to ignore a country - N.Korea - who IS threatening war, who DOES have nuclear and chemical weapons and WILL use them, if they don't receive money for oil and food.

- U.S media deliberately lie, slant, twist and hide the truth from their own people at the governments request.

- Anyone publicly voicing dissent or asking for peace, is mocked and torn down, especially U.S. anti-war artists.

- The American government is despised and hated by the entire worlds people.

- The American people cannot understand why the world condemns them...try in very general terms:

a) Mass murder (genocide) for oil
b) The genocide of at least 5,000 Afghan civilians by the U.S.
c) Most Americans do not stand up to their government
d) Many Americans believe the U.S. media and
refuse to question what their told
e) Many Americans could not care less about the world outside of the U.S.

- Citizens are urged to take cipro, get smallpox vaccines, and buy duct tape for prevention from unknown and unpreventable, invisible Muslim terrorists who WILL strike when Bush decides more fear and support is needed.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I thought I'd post this other bit of information since there is constant clamour about the US being "the most free country in the world" (Quote: Donald Rumsfeld).

My thoughts: Wow.. what a load of rubbish we're fed through the media! It's scary reading these bits of info and then listening to Bush on the debate and lying out of his a**. The amount of stuff this administration tells you makes any other politicians look like angels!

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: Summary of the Patriot Act I & II

Andem said:
I thought I'd post this other bit of information since there is constant clamour about the US being "the most free country in the world" (Quote: Donald Rumsfeld).

My thoughts: Wow.. what a load of rubbish we're fed through the media! It's scary reading these bits of info and then listening to Bush on the debate and lying out of his a**. The amount of stuff this administration tells you makes any other politicians look like angels!

Americans believe him, thats the worse part. I was watching a tv show the other day (8 simple rules). The fathers says to his wife; How did she go from wanting to be leader of the free world (US president) to ... :roll: You see that type of bullsh!t all over the american media..

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Has anybody actually READ the patriot act? I took a quick look at it here:

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=12251&c=207

Legaleeze gives me a headache so it will take me a long time to actually make any sense of it. I'm pretty sure only two or three of the points made in the original post actually have anything to do with the Patriot Act though.

Isn't it due to expire at the end of the year anyway? I heard also that Patriot II has been abondoned due to the controversy. However, there is some new legislation being drafted that may be similar, just under a different name.

Anyway, before we get all high and mighty and anti-bush about it, does anybody remember what the first thing Trudeau did when Canada was faced with domestic terrorism? If you think Patriot is a draconian limitation on personal rights and freedoms, take a gander at the War Measures Act.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Just the Facts, I think Canada was justified in what we did during the FLQ crisis. It was something that had to be done, while the American patriot acts are there to segregate groups of people. They were going to expire after the crisis was done with, which it is.

With the US patriot acts, though, I don't see them coming to an end within the short term or the long term. The supposed "freedoms" that the Americans think they are so proud of is really just an illusion where the Patriot acts are very open to abuse by anybody higher rank that civilian.