Baby boomers are 'a generation of sociopaths'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Millennials get a lot of stick. They call us overly-sensitive snowflakes and lampoon us for spending money on lavish brunches instead of saving up for house deposits.

Apparently we’re all obsessed with ourselves, take too many selfies and are awful humans for organising hook-ups via dating apps.

But it could in fact be that the baby boomers are a more egotistical generation than millennials.

According to writer and venture capitalist Bruce Gibney, baby boomers are a “generation of sociopaths.”

In his new book, he argues that their “reckless self-indulgence” is in fact what set the example for millennials.

Gibney describes boomers as “acting without empathy, prudence, or respect for facts - acting, in other words, as sociopaths.”

And he’s not the first person to suggest this.

Back in 1976, journalist Tom Wolfe dubbed the young adults then coming of age the “Me Generation” in the New York Times, which is a term now widely used to describe millennials.

But the baby boomers grew up in a very different climate to today’s young adults.

Baby boomers are 'a generation of sociopaths' | The Independent

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yea we did grow up in a different climate , we had corporal punishment in school . Remember the strap ? Sports day where you only got a ribbon for first second and third . Boys were boys girls were girls and retards were retards . Right Cannuck ?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Millennials get a lot of stick. They call us overly-sensitive snowflakes and lampoon us for spending money on lavish brunches instead of saving up for house deposits.

Apparently we’re all obsessed with ourselves, take too many selfies and are awful humans for organising hook-ups via dating apps.

But it could in fact be that the baby boomers are a more egotistical generation than millennials.

According to writer and venture capitalist Bruce Gibney, baby boomers are a “generation of sociopaths.”

In his new book, he argues that their “reckless self-indulgence” is in fact what set the example for millennials.

Gibney describes boomers as “acting without empathy, prudence, or respect for facts - acting, in other words, as sociopaths.”

And he’s not the first person to suggest this.

Back in 1976, journalist Tom Wolfe dubbed the young adults then coming of age the “Me Generation” in the New York Times, which is a term now widely used to describe millennials.

But the baby boomers grew up in a very different climate to today’s young adults.

Baby boomers are 'a generation of sociopaths' | The Independent

Whoever wrote this tripe obviously wasn't around in the 50s&60s. Being born in the middle of the pack I know the difference between his perception and reality. Granted citiots had it easier than the rest of us but we had chores. They got done or you did't go out to play. Most of our parents worked hard to make a better future for us than what they had. Many of them being recent arrivals from war torn Europe. They were trying to build a future.
WE know what tough times are. We made it through the tough times of the early 80s when most of us had mortgages and kids. We were downsized, right sized and saw our jobs disappear.We paid into pension funds that went to those that came before us and now there is nothing left.
Millinials OTH have had everything given to them and have no clue what keeps them in comfort.They are so out of touch with reality they send their time trying to tear down the very system that gave them everything.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's OK Flossy... we know you're old. No use fighting it and bashing Baby Boomers doesn't make you a Millennial.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Baby Boomers are hypocrites who created the 'helicopter parent'...raised spoiled millennials...and love truly awful music.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Generation Name

Boomer Generation1946-1964

Generation X (Baby Bust)1965-1979

Generation Y - The Millennial - Gen Next1980-1995

Generation Z 1996-2010

(I'm Gen X raising Gen Z)

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
It's wonderful...

My girls are 12 years old and watching Three's Company once a week. They love the show!

I started watching that show in 1978 when I was 12 years old as well.

The circle of life...etc. :)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Generation Name

Boomer Generation1946-1964

Generation X (Baby Bust)1965-1979

Generation Y - The Millennial - Gen Next1980-1995

Generation Z 1996-2010

(I'm Gen X raising Gen Z)

This would explain why ES is such a huge douche.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
If I hear 'Satisfaction' by the Rolling Stones or 'Hotel California' ONE more time, I'm going to do a headstand and drink me own pee!