New Zealand river granted same legal rights as a person

Corduroy
A river in New Zealand has become the first in the world to be granted the same legal rights as a person.

The New Zealand parliament passed the bill recognising the Whanganui River, in North Island, as a living entity.

Long revered by New Zealand's Maori people, the river's interests will now be represented by two people.
The Maori had been fighting for over 160 years to get this recognition for their river, a minister said.

"I know the initial inclination of some people will say it's pretty strange to give a natural resource a legal personality," said New Zealand's Treaty Negotiations Minister Chris Finlayson. "But it's no stranger than family trusts, or companies or incorporated societies."

The Whanganui River, New Zealand's third-longest, will be represented by one member from the Maori tribes, known as iwi, and one from the Crown.

The recognition allows it to be represented in court proceedings.

Tears and music

"The river as a whole is absolutely important to the people who are from the river and live on the river," said MP Adrian Rurawhe, who represents the Maori.

"From a Whanganui viewpoint the wellbeing of the river is directly linked to the wellbeing of the people and so it is really important that's recognised as its own identity."

Members of the Maori community celebrated the news with tears and music in New Zealand's parliament.
The settlement brought to an end the country's longest-running litigation, the NZHerald reports. (external - login to view)

(external - login to view)

It also included $80m (£65m) in financial redress and $30m (£25m) to a fund to improve the river's health.

New Zealand river first in the world to be given legal human status - BBC News (external - login to view)

If corporations are people, why not a river?

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
#allnounsmatter

Danbones
Free Thinker
jeez...
Quote:

It also included $80m (£65m) in financial redress and $30m (£25m) to a fund to improve the river's health.

I'd like to get the same rights as a river

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Cool! Does it collect pogey with the cheques made out to "Old Man River"?

Danbones
Free Thinker
did it pay out stamps?

More Americans Are Applying For New Zealand Citizenship
www.vocativ.com/411422/more-a...d-citizenship/ (external - login to view)
Pretty soon the river will only be able to do left turns, and will likely wind up going back down the hole it came up out of

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

jeez...

I'd like to get the same rights as a river

Ring around the shoreline.

White_Unifier
What happens if I stab the river with a knife?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

What happens if I stab the river with a knife?

Waddareya? From Regina?

Real men blast away with AR-15s.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Waddareya? From Regina?

Real men blast away with AR-15s.

An AR-15 must make quite a splash.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

An AR-15 must make quite a splash.

The other is just whetting the blade, after all.

White_Unifier

The other is just whetting the blade, after all.

Make sure it's a stainless-steel blade. They don't rust.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Make sure it's a stainless-steel blade. They don't rust.

Ladders are a lot deadlier.

White_Unifier

Ladders are a lot deadlier.

How so?

If I wanted to kill a river, I would just divert its water to a canal. Done.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

A river in New Zealand has become the first in the world to be granted the same legal rights as a person.

The New Zealand parliament passed the bill recognising the Whanganui River, in North Island, as a living entity.

Long revered by New Zealand's Maori people, the river's interests will now be represented by two people.
The Maori had been fighting for over 160 years to get this recognition for their river, a minister said.

"I know the initial inclination of some people will say it's pretty strange to give a natural resource a legal personality," said New Zealand's Treaty Negotiations Minister Chris Finlayson. "But it's no stranger than family trusts, or companies or incorporated societies."

The Whanganui River, New Zealand's third-longest, will be represented by one member from the Maori tribes, known as iwi, and one from the Crown.

The recognition allows it to be represented in court proceedings.

Tears and music

"The river as a whole is absolutely important to the people who are from the river and live on the river," said MP Adrian Rurawhe, who represents the Maori.

"From a Whanganui viewpoint the wellbeing of the river is directly linked to the wellbeing of the people and so it is really important that's recognised as its own identity."

Members of the Maori community celebrated the news with tears and music in New Zealand's parliament.
The settlement brought to an end the country's longest-running litigation, the NZHerald reports. (external - login to view)

(external - login to view)

New Zealand river first in the world to be given legal human status - BBC News (external - login to view)

If corporations are people, why not a river?

But neither will ever have human rights so it's perfectly fine to abort that river.

Danbones
Free Thinker

Ring around the shoreline.

thats assmarks on your head

but if it gives you the rights of a human
good for you

bill barilko
Add a few experienced interesting people to this thread and it could be worth reading-not going to happen here though.

Danbones
Free Thinker
still hasn't

petros
+1
Not with you posting. Thanks for killing the personified river.

no new posts