Why Brexit Is Good For Working People In Clear, Simple Terms

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The British haven't actually "Brexited" yet. All of this is theoretical and speculative. It may be good. it may be bad. It may be a bit of both. Time will tell. Separation has not yet occurred.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The British haven't actually "Brexited" yet. All of this is theoretical and speculative. It may be good. it may be bad. It may be a bit of both. Time will tell. Separation has not yet occurred.

Yes, I'm fully aware that Brexit has not occurred yet. You can even check my other posts on the subject to verify that I realize Brexit has not occurred yet.

The substance of the discussion revolves around neoliberalism that is affecting Canada and the USA..........

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'd be more worried by Germany if I were you, what with it being at the core of an EU that is doomed for callapse, possibly as early as this year.

Oh, Germany has always been harder working, more successful and more prosperous than Britain. I'm not worried about the Germans, at all.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Oh, Germany has always been harder working, more successful and more prosperous than Britain. I'm not worried about the Germans, at all.

Britain has been far more successful than Germany: Britain was once the world's foremost global power, ruling huge swathes of the planet and its peoples, and defeated Germany in two world wars. Most of the greatest modern inventions have been by Britons.

As for harder working, Britons work, on average, more hours per week than the Germans who, in fact, are below the EU average in terms of hours worked. Britain also has the highest employment rate in the EU, with 74.5% of Britons in work compared to 70.9% of Germans. Over the last few years, Britain has created more jobs than the other 27 EU member states put together.

As for GDP per capita, Britain currently ranks 13th in the world at US$43,902, above Canada (US$43,413) and above Germany (US$40,952).

I shall also repeat my claim that Germany is set to take a massive, severe blow when the EU collapses, which will cause it to undergo a massive decline. Britain was wise enough to take to the lifeboat.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Britain has been far more successful than Germany: Britain was once the world's foremost global power, ruling huge swathes of the planet and its peoples, and defeated Germany in two world wars. Most of the greatest modern inventions have been by Britons.

As for harder working, Britons work, on average, more hours per week than the Germans who, in fact, are below the EU average in terms of hours worked. Britain also has the highest employment rate in the EU, with 74.5% of Britons in work compared to 70.9% of Germans. Over the last few years, Britain has created more jobs than the other 27 EU member states put together.

As for GDP per capita, Britain currently ranks 13th in the world at US$43,902, above Canada (US$43,413) and above Germany (US$40,952).

I shall also repeat my claim that Germany is set to take a massive, severe blow when the EU collapses, which will cause it to undergo a massive decline. Britain was wise enough to take to the lifeboat.

Yeah. Right.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
The problem is, the Brits would want to "rule" over us again just when the Dominions are about to pass them by.

The UK could dominate a closed-bordered CABZUK by virtue of its population alone, but it could never dominate an ooen-bordered one. Canada would refuse to join any CANZUK that did not allow free trade between Canada, the US and Greenland at least. Australia and New Zealand likewise would refuse to join CANZUK unless they could freely trade with Indonesia at least. Even smart Britons would refuse to join CANZUK if any such agreement prevented the UK from negotiating free-trader agreements with the EU. Due to geographical distance, a closed CANZUK would hurt all parties involved. It would necessarily need to be an open CANZUK for it to work.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Coffee House

Brexit tantrums are one of the joys of modern life

Julie Burchill

Julie Burchill
25 February 2017
The Spectator

Everyone in London seems to be fuming all the time — although, to be fair, fuming has become the default setting of our time. Historically, it’s the sexually repressed, swivel-eyed Daily Mail reader who fumes hardest, but ever since last June 23, when the glorious chaotic dawn of Brexit was revealed, liberals have been fuming up a storm with all the parasexual frustration of fat-fingered One Direction fans tweeting hatred about the paternity of Cheryl’s baby. Tempering, tantruming and thweatening to thwceam till they’re sick, it’s hard not to feel that what’s making them the most angry isn’t the alleged racism of Brexiteers or the alleged financial ruin waiting just around the corner. No, the reason the Remnants hate us so much is because after lifetimes of flattering themselves that they’re progressive, adventurous and daring, they now stand revealed as a veritable mothers’ meeting of doom-mongering, curtain-twitching, tut-tutting stick-in-the-muds. The pathetic petulance which has come from the Remnants in the face of our victory stems from the fact that many of those who prided themselves on being rebels were, actually, just a differently styled part of the status quo-embracing establishment all along. And it is for robbing them of their illusions about themselves that we Brexiteers will not be forgiven.

I’m especially enjoying the havoc which Brexit has wrought on families and friends. Isn’t disagreeing with people, and forming new alliances, one of the most enjoyable parts of the big scary ride we call life? If you want to avoid conflict, go and live in a cupboard. A charming lady braves the rail chaos to lunch with me; not only pretty and clever, she has been thrown out of her north London book group for liking on Facebook a pro-Brexit Spectator piece by me! I gaze at her with something like adoration. She thinks it would make a brilliant play. Am I interested in co-writing? ‘Waiter, the champagne menu, please!’

This is an extract from Julie Burchill’s diary, which appears in this week’s Spectator

Brexit tantrums are one of the joys of modern life | Coffee House