Mike Pence goes to Munich to soothe America's allies. He is unlikely to succeed

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Mike Pence goes to Munich to soothe America's allies. He is unlikely to succeed

A word-cloud from a background briefing to journalists by White House officials on the eve of Mike Pence’s trip to this weekend’s Munich Security Conference, his first foray abroad as Vice President, would have REASSURE in bold at its heart. COMMITMENT also popped up a lot.

“The first theme is reassurance,” the briefer, an unnamed “foreign policy adviser”, offered. “We’re there to reassure Europe’s role both as our indispensable partner and the commitment to our allies. He wants to reassure folks ... we’re going to be with them as well, so reassurance in that sense, if they need to hear it.”

Damage control better describes what everyone bar President Donald Trump has been engaging in in recent days. Jim Mattis was at it at Nato in Brussels this week. Nikki Haley, the new US envoy at the United Nations, has been doing her bit. The same task fell to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson who spent part of the week at the G20 foreign ministers huddle in Bonn.

That the world, and the allies in particular, are in need of soothing hardly needs saying. They look at America and see a superpower flailing. A superpower being steered by successive 140-character outbursts by a President drawn more to Twitter than diplomacy.

The evidence is everywhere. Some is trivial like the failure of anyone to think of booking Mr Tillerson a room in Bonn. While his counterparts found convenient digs in the city, he was forced to commute 40 minutes from a faded country hotel attached to a hot springs favoured by wheelchair-bound octogenarians seeking a cure.

Mike Pence goes to Munich to soothe the nerves of America's allies. He is unlikely to succeed | The Independent

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
How are Trump's people going to MAGA when they're spending all their time apologizing for the idiotic statements made by Donny?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Better to sent the VP than fly himself and risk another flight 800 mishap.

Better to send the VP than some unpredictable wing-nut that might blurt out any sort of insanity at the drop of a hat. They're trying to hold on to the last shreds of American credibility.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Trump White House is sure triggering a lot of you fools. :lol:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
He can't do any worse than 'Songbird' McCain.
"TRAITOR John McCain"Just Stood on Stage in Europe to TRASH Our President & USA!! Watch This!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"TRAITOR John McCain"Just Stood on Stage in Europe to TRASH Our President & USA!! Watch This!
McCain, I'm sorry to say, is the only seemingly sane Republican in that whole freaking mad house, and I think he's completely nuts. He is the father of ISIS, after all but compared to the Dumpster, he is a saint.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I can't believe we've got an Independent reader on here. It's the equivalent of walking through the English countryside and coming across a grey partridge - a thing that's so rare you just can't believe you've seen it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

John McCain is a patriot who knows a traitor when he sees one.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I can't believe we've got an Independent reader on here. It's the equivalent of walking through the English countryside and coming across a grey partridge - a thing that's so rare you just can't believe you've seen it.

You just need to look for pear trees.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
McCain, I'm sorry to say, is the only seemingly sane Republican in that whole freaking mad house, and I think he's completely nuts. He is the father of ISIS, after all but compared to the Dumpster, he is a saint.
John McCain is a patriot who knows a traitor when he sees one.

you two nonthinkers think the songbird (traitor of Hanoi), the best friend of isus/ daesh/ alciaduh/ mujaheddin, is sane?
:)
that would mean YOU are NOT!!!

...but then you have made that plain from the git go

mccain a patriot?
wow
that's just Bullpuck stupidity on crack