Scottish Parliament Votes No Brexit

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Scottish Parliament overwhelmingly backed a motion opposing the start of the process for the U.K. to leave the European Union in a gesture against Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit plans.

Lawmakers in the semi-autonomous legislature in Edinburgh voted by 90 to 34 that Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which would start Britain’s divorce talks with the EU, should not be triggered.

The needs of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have not been properly considered, there are no guarantees for EU nationals living in Britain and there is not enough detail of the implications of policies including leaving the EU’s single market, according to the motion approved on Tuesday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ment-votes-against-u-k-pulling-brexit-trigger

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1) The Scottish Parliament has no says in UK foreign affairs.

2) It has no democratic mandate over 60 million of the UK's 65 million people.

3) The United Kingdom voted for Brexit. Within the United Kingdom, England and Wales both voted for it. The fact that Scotland and Northern Ireland and London and probably Bristol voted Remain is immaterial. They were on the losing side in the referendum.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There is a simple solution, of course. Scotland becomes a sovereign country and stays with the EU, as is their democratic right. England and probably Wales go their own way. N. Ireland makes peace with the Republic and is finally reconciled with the Republic. It's a win-win for the English, who hold the Scots in deep distain, anyway.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
if there is a scotexit, there will be an irishexit, and a welshexit from Britain too I'll wager
they all hold the Brits in deep disdain too I hear

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It would be ironic to see Blackleaf backpedalling on another country looking for independence.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Brexit pretty much played right into the hands of Scottish nationalists. Expect another referendum within a few years, and this time one in which the Scots will vote to leave.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Scotland becomes a sovereign country and stays with the EU, as is their democratic right.

You can't be a soveriegn country and be within the EU at the same, just as you can't be a sovereign country and be within the UK.

Scotland will only truly be an independent state if it's outside the UK AND the EU. The SNP aren't true Scottish nationalists. They merely want to swap rule from London for rule from Brussels and Strasbourg, which strikes me as a bit odd.

As I've said before, it's only a matter of time before Scotland leaves.

Had Scotland voted to leave the UK in 2014 it'd now be out of the EU, too. And there'd be no guarantee that'd be back in. It wouldn't have been able to quickly re-enter the EU. It would have been at the back of the queue of second-rate nations wishing to join the EU gravy train, and Spain would likely veto an independent Scotland's entry into the EU because it has its own seccessionists to deal with, such as the Catalans. Even if Scotland then re-entered the EU eventually it would have to join the troublesome, economy-wrecking euro.

By the way, Scotland does 67% of its trade with the rest of the United Kingdom. Economically, the United Kingdom is far more important to Scotland than the European Union is.

The SNP keep saying they want the UK to remain inside the EU because "44% of UK's trade is with the EU", yet at the same time they want Scotland to leave the UK, even though 67% of Scotland's trade is with the UK. They're very confused people.

Brexit pretty much played right into the hands of Scottish nationalists.

The Scottish "nationalists" have to be careful. Within Scotland, a higher proportion of voters of Scottish "nationalist" party SNP voted for Brexit than did voters of any other party. These Brexit-supporting Scotttish nationalists are the TRUE Scottish nationalists, wanting a sovereign, independent Scotland outside the UK and the EU. So the irony is that any scuppering of the Brexit vote will hurt the SNP Scottish "nationalists" in Scotland more than it'll hurt any other party.

Expect another referendum within a few years, and this time one in which the Scots will vote to leave.
Well we keep hearing this. We were told during the referendum campaign that if the UK as a whole votes to leave the EU but Scotland votes to remain then all of a sudden there'd be a massive clamouring for "independence" in Scotland. But no such thing has happened. In fact, the Scots are still opposed to breaking away from the UK. Despite the Brexit result, just 27% of Scots want another EU referendum.

Majority of Scots do not want another independence vote in near future, survey shows | The Independent

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If the Scots want to leave the union with which Scotland does two-thirds of its trade - the United Kingdom - and rejoin a union which is far less important for Scotland economically - the EU - then that will be more of a problem for Scotland than it will be for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

And if the Scots want to leave the union which is to see the fastest economic growth of all G7 countries over the next 30 years (largely in part due to Brexit, witth Britain freeing herself from the EU's economic straitjacket, according to experts) - the United Kingdom - and rejoin a sclerotic, dying union which only beats Antarctica for economic growth and which is doomed for complete collapse within a decade, then that's more of a problem for the Scots than it will be for the English, Welsh and Northern Irish.

Let's face facts here: the United Kingdom will be a wealthy, sovereign, self-governing nation state come Brexit, with or without Scotland. Scotland seceding from the UK - which is much more important to Scotland in terms of trade than the EU is - will cause no problems whatsoever to the UK but a lot of problems for Scotland. Scotland is a minor player in the grand scheme of things.

You're going to be wiping your bums with your post-Brexit Sterling when you find out that the world really isn't interested in beating a path to your door, after all.

Why do you have such a problem with a country regaining its sovereignty and independence? Do you also still wish Canada was a part of the British Empire, too?

And why is Scotland seceding from the UK such a "good" thing which needs to be supported and encouraged, yet the UK seceding from a corrupt, economically sclerotic, undemocratic superstate is a "bad" thing?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Do you also still wish Canada was a part of the British Empire, too?

We successfully survived the decline and eventual collapse of that empire. Hopefully, we will do it again when the crumbling U.S. empire pops it's clogs over the next little while.

We have a lot in common with Scotland, living beside an elephant as we are.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The Scottish "nationalists" have to be careful. Within Scotland, a higher proportion of voters of Scottish "nationalist" party SNP voted for Brexit than did voters of any other party. These Brexit-supporting Scotttish nationalists are the TRUE Scottish nationalists, wanting a sovereign, independent Scotland outside the UK and the EU. So the irony is that any scuppering of the Brexit vote will hurt the SNP Scottish "nationalists" in Scotland more than it'll hurt any other party.

Actually that supports my point. Now the nationalists will be joined by disaffected anti-Brexit voters. Don't get me wrong though. I have always and still do think a separate Scotland is a bad idea.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We successfully survived the decline and eventual collapse of that empire. Hopefully, we will do it again when the crumbling U.S. empire pops it's clogs over the next little while.

So it's alright for Canada to gain independence from a declining and collapsing empire but not Britain?

We have a lot in common with Scotland, living beside an elephant as we are.
That "elephant" as you called it is the nation which made Scotland very wealthy.

Actually that supports my point. Now the nationalists will be joined by disaffected anti-Brexit voters. Don't get me wrong though. I have always and still do think a separate Scotland is a bad idea.

In Scotland, a third of voters of Scottish "nationalist" party SNP (I put nationalist in inverted commas because the SNP themselves aren't true Scottish nationalist, what with them wanting Scotland in the EU and ruled from Brussels and Strasbourg) voted for Brexit, a higher proportion than any other party. Those SNP voters who also voted for Brexit are TRUE Scottish nationalists, unlike those EU-supporting ones.

So you say "nationalists" will be joined by anti-Brexit voters (how you can be a Scottish nationalist and want your country ruled by unelected foreigners in Brussels and Strasbourg is beyond me), yet the danger the SNP find themselves in is that a higher proportion of their voters are BREXIT supporters than that of any other party in Scotland. If the Scots "Nats" somehow scupper Brexit, they will suffer immeasurably because of that (they'll also suffer because Westminster will just not grant them a second referendum, saying: "You've destroyed the democratic wishes of the British people so we're not giving you another referendum").

If the Scots "Nats" destroy Brexit, they'll also be destroying any lingering hope they have of Scottish "independence."

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
if there is a scotexit, there will be an irishexit, and a welshexit from Britain too I'll wager
they all hold the Brits in deep disdain too I hear

I'll let you in on a well known secret, nobody likes the Brits. The Scots and the Irish particularly. In fact, there have been quite a few Scots and Irishmen that have joyfully put bullets into them. It sucks when no one loves you, but you won't let go.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yr0nwIX_gc

As for the Welsh, they don't like them either. The Brits treat them poorly. The Brits consider them bumpkins, but not in a nice way.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'll let you in on a well known secret, nobody likes the Brits. The Scots and the Irish particularly. In fact, there have been quite a few Scots and Irishmen that have joyfully put bullets into them. It sucks when no one loves you, but you won't let go.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yr0nwIX_gc

As for the Welsh, they don't like them either. The Brits treat them poorly. The Brits consider them bumpkins, but not in a nice way.

The Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish ARE Brits.

And if there's one think the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish like about their fellow Brits the English, it is our money. That's why they are never going to go their separate ways. They want to keep on suckling on England's generous teats. And it's not just them, either. Most of the 27 other EU Member States want to carry on doing the same but, thanks to Brexit, England is about to forceably wean them.

England is Europe's cash cow.