Donald Trump should not be allowed to speak in UK parliament

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Donald Trump should not be allowed to speak in UK parliament, says Speaker

Government sources describe John Bercow’s comments about US president as ‘hugely political and out of line’

Donald Trump would not be welcome to address parliament during his state visit, the Commons Speaker, John Bercow, has said in an unprecedented intervention that drew applause and cheers from MPs.

Bercow, whose role is non-political, said he could not block a state visit by the US president but would use his role as one of the three “key-holders” of Westminster Hall to prevent the Republican from addressing MPs and peers.
He said he had been particularly persuaded by what he termed Trump’s “migrant ban”, the executive order signed during the president’s first fortnight that sought to prevent nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries entering the US, including refugees.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Would the Speaker of the House invite in Kim Jong Un? Robert Mugabe? Vladimir Putin? The head of the Taliban? Why is Trump any different?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'd love to see the Dumpster in the UK parliament. Teleprompters are not allowed there and he might not actually receive a warm welcome. I can imagine him trying to fumble through his speech while MPs shout insults at him.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
He should go right to the palace and greet the Queen first.

UK parliament should not be allowed to speak in UK parliament.
In case you haven't notices 'not listening' is just as effective as not speaking. Put a Monty Python spin on the 'real news and events' and that would be closer to the actual truths than what you get in the media giants today.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Bravo to the Brits!

Their PM is "not amused". She thinks that she's Maggie and that he's Ronnie and that it's the good 'ole days, all over. Most of the British public aren't buying. I'm sure that Blackgrief does, though.

He should go right to the palace and greet the Queen first.

The Queen probably thinks that he's odious but she has always done the classy thing and greeted the scum of the Earth leaders with dignity. Trump is on record making smarmy comments about Kate Middleton a few years past and the Queen is quite well informed.

http://www.independent.ie/style/cel...ritish-state-visit-very-awkward-35415539.html

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
the queen needs a butt wiper, so I am not so sure she should count as an opinion on populism

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Would the Speaker of the House invite in Kim Jong Un? Robert Mugabe? Vladimir Putin? The head of the Taliban? Why is Trump any different?

There have been all sorts of unsavoury characters who have addressed the British Parliament over the years, including the Chinese president Xi Jinping in October 2015 during his State Visit. This is a man who has severely reduced civil liberties in China and whose party circulated a document around China which warned of "dangerous" Western values, including constitutional democracy, universal values of human rights, civil society, pro-market neo-liberalism and media independence. Yet, despite this, there were no mass protestst against his State Visit, as far as I can recall, and I can't remember any UK politicians saying that he should not be allowed to visit here. The Speaker didn't come out at the time denouncing Jinping and saying yet that he should not be allowed to speak to parliament. This is despite the fact that Jinping is far worse than Mr Trump. The hypocrisy of our Lefties and many of our politcians is astounding - cosying up to a man who thinks constitutional democracy and human rights are "dangerous Western values" one minute, and then the next protesting against the visit of a Trump.

Jinping's State Visit in 2015. Where were the protests against the State Visit from lefties and politicians?

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This is despite the fact that Jinping is far worse than Mr Trump.

... in your opinion.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is despite the fact that Jinping is far worse than Mr Trump.

... in your opinion.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is in serious need of medical treatment.

Here we have a man, Jinping, who is head of a brutal regime which wants to stamp out human rights in his country, yet there were nobody protesting against his State Visit in 2015. Where were all the Lefties rioting in the streets and holding placards when it was announced he was to have a State Visit to Britain? Where were they? I don't remember seeing them. And this man who wants to stamp out human rights in his country was allowed to speak to both Houses of Parliament, and I don't remember the Speaker then telling us that this despot should not be allowed to speak. Mr Bercow and all these other politicians now saying that Trump should not address Parliament were noticeable in their silence and did not speak out against him speaking to Parliament.

Mr Bercow and all the Lefties protesting against Trump are serious hypocrites of the highest order.

And as for these Lefties who have suddenly become all concerned for our Queen by saying that it "won't be nice for her to meet Trump" they need to remember that she's had to meet all sorts of people during her 65 year reign, including Jinping, Mugabe and Ceausescu.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Anyone who thinks otherwise is in serious need of medical treatment.

Here we have a man, Jinping, who is head of a brutal regime which wants to stamp out human rights in his country, yet there were nobody protesting against his State Visit in 2015. Where were all the Lefties rioting in the streets and holding placards when it was announced he was to have a State Visit to Britain? Where were they? I don't remember seeing them. And this man who wants to stamp out human rights in his country was allowed to speak to both Houses of Parliament, and I don't remember the Speaker then telling us that this despot should not be allowed to speak. Mr Bercow and all these other politicians now saying that Trump should not address Parliament were noticeable in their silence and did not speak out against him speaking to Parliament.

Off to the re-education camp, ye bearers of fake news!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And as for the Speaker, he's nothing but the Commons' referee and therefore should be neutral and keep his opinions to such matters to himself.

It's no wonder that Ukip and many of the Speaker's fellow Tories are calling for him to resign.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
And as for the Speaker, he's nothing but the Commons' referee and therefore should be neutral and keep his opinions to such matters to himself.

It's no wonder that Ukip and many of the Speaker's fellow Tories are calling for him to resign.

If the majority of British agree with what the speaker has said, and they may just, May should be very cautious about how she handles him. May does not have a mandate of her own and eventually, she has to go to the electorate for one ... soon, I would imagine.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
a few years past and the Queen is quite well informed.
l
That is the sign of insanity in case you were unaware of that fact. That it comes as news to you is scarier than she is, still her words behind closed door might enter the gossip stage so they would be worth recording if she is doing the same.

dammit bar sinister- now that you frame it like that, i think he should be allowed to show off his rampant stupidity in such a forum, my goodness
Murphy's Law doesn't always strike the smartest people. Just sayin, . . . .