Saudi king agrees in call with Trump to support Syria, Yemen safe zones -White House

Locutus
+1 / -1
the Trump is gettin' sh!t done kids. deal with it. Lol

WASHINGTON, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia's King Salman, in a phone call on Sunday with U.S. President Donald Trump, agreed to support safe zones in Syria and Yemen, a White House statement said.

Trump, during his presidential campaign last year, had called for Gulf states to pay for establishing safe zones to protect Syrian refugees.
A statement after their phone call said the two leaders agreed on the importance of strengthening joint efforts to fight the spread of Islamic State militants.

"The president requested and the King agreed to support safe zones in Syria and Yemen, as well as supporting other ideas to help the many refugees who are displaced by the ongoing conflicts," the statement said.

They also agreed on the need to address "Iran's destabilizing regional activities," the statement said.

It said the two also discussed what it called an invitation from the king for Trump "to lead a Middle East effort to defeat terrorism and to help build a new future, economically and socially," for Saudi Arabia and the region.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/saudi...213832329.html (external - login to view)

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
I can't believe that he's going to stay alive for four fukcing more years. The chances of a US President being assassinated during normal times is around 10%. This guy is wearing a big target.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...9ba_story.html (external - login to view)

tay
So the King of one of the most repressive regimes in the world is buddies with Trump, just like he was with Obama and the Buhsies and the Clintons.

That's something to be proud of......

Murphy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

I can't believe that he's going to stay alive for four fukcing more years. The chances of a US President being assassinated during normal times is around 10%. This guy is wearing a big target.

That's the risk you run when you attempt to do big things.

Forgetting the Democrats and Republicans for just a moment, wouldn't it be nice to stop groups like ISIS from killing and blowing up stuff? That people, regardless of where they live, could move around without they worry of being attacked?

Admittedly, that's a pipe dream, but by not doing anything, we accept the status quo.

Scaled down, Trump is willing to confront the bully. There is always a rough patch before things smooth over, but someone has to take the first step.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Scaled down, Trump is willing to confront the bully

I guess that it takes one to know one.

Murphy
Conservative
Perhaps. We'll have to wait and see.

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...9ba_story.html (external - login to view)

we know you're stupid but ok, once more...that was obama's doing. try to keep up.

Locutus

MHz

Isn't being shot part of the zero syndrome? If Trump is repealing old orders then why could the next one not just undo what good Trump is doing? The sames ones against Trump comes from a global community rather than this being a 'civil event'.

Pretty quick on putting 'the Donal' to the acid test as far as who is your friend and who is a liar when they say they are your friend. For Saudi to want to set up 'safe zones' in Syria is like the fox saying where the henhouse is to be build so it can be bombed by mistake as long as NATO can. It is even more blatant that they are 'the enemy of breathing civilians' in Yemen and to provide safety to 'people' would be like 'supporting the enemy'.
Trump should play into the trap and even make it a large event so many aircraft are allowed to take part and then bomb the Saudi leaders by mistake and give the country to the mercs from the recent civil wars in the area as they cannot go back home and sanctuary in the country that 'trained them' is not in the interest of those leasers.

Tent city that is totally empty at the moment. If Saudi was paying their wages that is who ownes them. Same with the US only rather than 'random people' it would include the ones that were given training and/or weapons. The southwest would be the best place and use plastic heads on the ammo and keep it in short supply. Cell phone/smart connection and a handshake for good luck along with the GPS location of the cache of food and ammo that he will need in the coming months. Give the men the weapons and the ammo to the women.

Locutus

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Fibonacci progression ... very impressive, Robin.

Twila
Quote:

It said the two also discussed what it called an invitation from the king for Drumpf "to lead a Middle East effort to defeat terrorism and to help build a new future, economically and socially," for Saudi Arabia and the region.

economically? Is the prince having money troubles?

Socially? who's friendship can't the prince buy?

Locutus

Twila
+1
Every election cycle, the candidates seem inescapable. But this year, you seriously cannot escape Donald Drumpf, because the guy’s hair is everywhere.

Like the fibonacci sequence, Drumpf’s hair (the only candidate in history whose hair is worthy of an honest to god thesaurus) is visually, subliminally perhaps, everywhere you look.

The pictures below were found by using variations of the #Trumphair hashtag. They prove that, no matter where you look ― a stormy sky, an adorable duckling, even your cheeseburger, for crying out loud ― you will see Drumpf’s abandoned nest, ginger forest, male equivalent of a push-up bra hair instead.

For all the pictures that remind people of the usa's glorious leader

#TrumpHair Is The Hilarious Hashtag Our Country Deserves | The Huffington Post (external - login to view)

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Every election cycle, the candidates seem inescapable. But this year, you seriously cannot escape Donald Drumpf, because the guy’s hair is everywhere.

Like the fibonacci sequence, Drumpf’s hair (the only candidate in history whose hair is worthy of an honest to god thesaurus) is visually, subliminally perhaps, everywhere you look.

The pictures below were found by using variations of the #Trumphair hashtag. They prove that, no matter where you look ― a stormy sky, an adorable duckling, even your cheeseburger, for crying out loud ― you will see Drumpf’s abandoned nest, ginger forest, male equivalent of a push-up bra hair instead.

For all the pictures that remind people of the usa's glorious leader

#TrumpHair Is The Hilarious Hashtag Our Country Deserves | The Huffington Post (external - login to view)

It tells me "Reptilian Replicant" when I see the mathematical perfection of his cranium. Most people are lumpy. This guy was obviously designed by a whole team.

MHz
He says he doesn't like to lie and I believe that because he is too spontaneous not to be a person who is very honest all the time. Let's see how long it takes him to spot a liar. They were even baiting him on putting Iran into the 'rebel' league so that would be back to the way it has been since 1979, the year Iran became a democracy. Chase out the opposition and then hold an election like Israel did in 1948.

Locutus
love him or hate him, he's gettin' sh!t done and not muckin' around kids.

there's a grown man in the White House.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

love him or hate him, he's gettin' sh!t done and not muckin' around kids.

there's a grown man in the White House.

there's a grown monster in the White House.

Murphy
Conservative
I can hear part of that conversation.

King: "Hello, am I addressing President Trump?"

Trump: "Hi. Yes you are. Is this King Salmon? I used to fish for king salmon when I visited the west coast."

King: I see. I phoned to discuss some of the destabilizing regional activities we might be experiencing . I would like to assure you that my people will be taking a close look at what is happening.

Trump: That's great, king. You do that. I'm sure that we can open things up again if you can get those crazy groups under control.

King: Indeed. They are very distressing.

Trump: Yeah, I'll bet they are. Anyhow, thanks for the call, king. You know, it sounds kind of silly calling you king. It's like when I was a kid. I had a dog named 'King". Bye!

Locutus

there's a grown monster in the White House.

you're mad and you're stressed.

you need a soak.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

you're mad and you're stressed.

you need a soak.

You obviously do not appreciate the intricacies of Alien geometry and design.

Quote: Originally Posted by MurphyView Post

I can hear part of that conversation.

King: "Hello, am I addressing President Trump?"

Trump: "Hi. Yes you are. Is this King Salmon? I used to fish for king salmon when I visited the west coast."

King: I see. I phoned to discuss some of the destabilizing regional activities we might be experiencing . I would like to assure you that my people will be taking a close look at what is happening.

Trump: That's great, king. You do that. I'm sure that we can open things up again if you can get those crazy groups under control.

King: Indeed. They are very distressing.

Trump: Yeah, I'll bet they are. Anyhow, thanks for the call, king. You know, it sounds kind of silly calling you king. It's like when I was a kid. I had a dog named 'King". Bye!

King Salmon ... did he divide the sushi in half?

Murphy
Conservative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Salmon (external - login to view)

Locutus
Salmon Arm Salute

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Salmon Arm Salute

I have been to that very spot by the CPR siding in Salmon Arm many, many times and I often thought that there should be a bronze statue of PET with his finger up beside the track.

EagleSmack

tay
Yes Trump indicated no more American Middle East muddling after 70 years of doing so. And so not a beat is skipped in favour of the Military Industrial Complex…….

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates voiced support for President Donald Trump’s idea to establish safe zones in Syria, which comes as no surprise given it would boost Sunni extremists who want to topple President Bashar Assad’s secular regime. The White House, for its part, wants to bottle up refugees inside Syria to prevent Muslim blockade runners from reaching U.S. shores. However, instituting safe zones would require a costly military intervention and risks empowering the very jihadist forces Trump has vowed to defeat.

On Sunday, Saudi Arabian King Salman and Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Muhammad in separate phone calls with Trump agreed to support safe zones in Syria and Yemen to help refugees “displaced by the ongoing conflicts,” the White House said in a press release.

Yet the final version of said executive order excluded the safe zone provision, probably to the chagrin of Al Qaeda in Syria and like-minded militants. But now it appears Trump only suspended the decision, perhaps calculating that he better get buy-in from stakeholders in the region before embarking on the initiative.

Consequences not too difficult to foresee inimical to U.S. national security interests far outweigh any conceivable benefits of instituting in Syria a single so-called safe zone, a euphemism for a no-fly zone - itself a de facto declaration of war. The Pentagon estimates (external - login to view) it would require 30,000 boots on the ground and cost $1 billion per month to implement. Moreover, a no-fly zone, which entails establishing air supremacy over the safe areas, risks sparking a direct confrontation with Syrian and Russian forces operating in the region.

It also runs counter to candidate Trump’s vows to oppose U.S. military adventurism, such as the oft-cited intervention to topple Gaddafi, which drove Libya into a destabilizing tailspin and afforded the Islamic State the chance to gain a foothold in the country.

Trump appealed to many voters for eschewing such unnecessary excursions while Clinton was framed as the imperialist nation-building candidate, as some observers have noted.

“Whatever Trump voters thought they were getting by supporting him, I’m reasonably sure sending tens of thousands of Americans to occupy parts of Syria for years to come wasn’t it,” Daniel Larsen wrote in the American Conservative (external - login to view).

Safe zones also tend to attract jihadists who can target swarms of enclosed refugees, akin to shooting fish in a barrel. In fact, these types of arrangements, studies have shown, often become terrorist breeding grounds, as Joshua Hampson from the Niskanen Center (external - login to view) think tank argued, especially if the camps are not adequately supported or are poorly run.

Because of squalid conditions and lack of economic prospects, safe zone residents are often susceptible to radicalization and upon returning home “may carry the seeds of the next generation of terrorists.” They could also serve as willing recruits for extremist groups to join the jihad against the Assad regime.

Trump would ironically adopt the exact same no-fly zone policy Hillary Clinton was rightly ridiculed for during one of their debates, and would align himself with liberal humanitarian interventionists who want to save Syrian civilians by bombing them.

Saudis, UAE Predictably Back Trump Syria Safe Zone Scheme | The Huffington Post (external - login to view)

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+1
They should just take in refugees displaced by the conflicts. Didnt Saudi Arabia sign that part of the geneva convention to accept people displaced by war?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

They should just take in refugees displaced by the conflicts. Didnt Saudi Arabia sign that part of the geneva convention to accept people displaced by war?

Saudi Arabia is a hideous police state. Perhaps, the refugees don't want to move to something worse than what they are escaping from.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Yes.......

Saudi Arabia is a hideous police state. Perhaps, the refugees don't want to move to something worse than what they are escaping from.

No kidding.....

But they shouldn't fret, America is coming to help .........

Before the 2011 war, Syria used to be a vibrant, growing nation with beautiful old cities and a rich, ancient culture going back over 2,500 years. Damascus is believed to be the oldest continually inhabited city in the world.

Syria was always regarded as the beating heart of the Arab world and its intellectual epicenter. It was also the progenitor of Arab nationalism, a long-time defender of the Palestinians, and a determined foe of Israel – though in recent years the Israeli-Syrian border has been very quiet. Damascus, two generations behind Israel in military strength, dared not confront the powerful Jewish state directly.

For the past four decades, Syria has been ruled by its Alawi minority, an offshoot of Islam’s Shia faith. Alawi, like their fellow Shia in Lebanon, were the nation’s poorest, most marginalized people. The only work many could get was in the military. Eventually, an iron-fisted Alawi air force general, Hafez al-Assad, seized power. After Assad’s death, his second son Bashar took charge of the regime, backed by a strong army and ruthless security organs.

The Bush administration, prompted by Israel, toyed with the idea of toppling Syria’s Assad regime but it backed down when a few smart minds in Washington asked who would the US get to replace the existing government? Syria’s main opposition came from the outlawed, underground Muslim Brotherhood that spoke for Syria’s long-repressed Sunni majority. Washington wanted no part of the Muslim Brothers. Better the Assads, who quietly cooperated with Washington in spite of being backed by Iran.

But in 2009-2010, Washington changed policy. As anti-Iranian war fever in the US mounted, the White House demanded that Damascus renounce its alliance with Iran, or else. The plan was to isolate Iran prior to its being attacked. But Syria refused to cut its vital ties to Tehran.

So Syria was marked for regime change. Washington was fed up with Arab leaders who defied the writ of the American Raj. The Assads would meet the same grisly fate as Saddam Hussein and Muammar Khadaffi.

In spring, 2011, anti-Assad guerillas, armed and trained in Jordan by CIA, infiltrated from Lebanon into southern Syria at Deraa. This was the squalid little town in which Lawrence of Arabia was captured by the Turks. Deraa was a hotbed of anti-government agitation. Soon, more US proxy rebels infiltrated across the Lebanese border. British and French special forces joined the rebels. Saudi Arabia provided the financing.

France, former colonial ruler of Syria and Lebanon, was particularly interested in re-asserting its influence in the Levant and the oil-rich Gulf states. Israel was convinced that overthrowing the Assad regime in Damascus would isolate its two main enemies, Iran and Lebanon’s Hezbullah movement, leaving the latter vulnerable to a new Israel attack.

ericmargolis.com/2015/07/dest...erican-values/ (external - login to view)

wwwyoutubecomwatchvu7APmRkatEU

no new posts