Interesting Development in the Old Soviet Union

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
The ongoing conflict between Russia & Ukraine in the Donbass region gets little press here but I gather it's an ugly situation on both sides.

One small positive that might be of interest to readers here is the so-called Flashmob movement-people from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova but especially Russia gathering in public places to sing Ukrainian songs and maybe dance a little Hopak.

It's a clever way to make a statement without the baggage of political organisation-people remember the Old Days when popular Ukrainian songs-and there are a lot of them- were sung openly and considered to be one of the great joys of life.

If you do a search you'll see there are a number by seminary students interesting because they come from the most conservative elements in Russian society amd must be doing this with their superior's approval IOW the Church is saying 'Don't Hate'.

Old film songs, old wartime tunes, classic Cossack songs all find their way into the repetoire and everyone seems to know the words- in a video from Tiraspol in Moldova over half the people seem to be reading the lyrics off their phones but a 9yo kid just stands there belting them out.

I suggest you right click once the video is opened so you can see what's to read in English.

The groups are a very mixed bag-students, retirees, amateur groups, seminarians as mentioned and production values vary anyway here are few, Russians singing in Ukrainian, Ukrainians singing favourite Russian tunes and all kinds of variety for Peace & Friendship

Did I mention the voices are gorgeous and the women beautiful?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My friend Svetlana spent her summer outside of Sevastopol growing food for Ukrainian fighters.

She hates Russians.