Pakistan launches cruise missile capable of carrying

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Canada lags behind the developing world. Can't our very fine used subs be fitted with equaly leathal arms? Or must we live under a constant Pakkie threat?

Obviously the subs need to be refitted again. They are very quiet because they are not working.This should be fixed of course.

The crews must be able to endure eleven months at sea without eating the deck officers.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Canada lags behind the developing world. Can't our very fine used subs be fitted with equaly leathal arms? Or must we live under a constant Pakkie threat?

Obviously the subs need to be refitted again. They are very quiet because they are not working.This should be fixed of course.

The crews must be able to endure eleven months at sea without eating the deck officers.

Our subs can carry cruise missiles and were even able to until we ripped out all that Kipper stuff and equipped them to fire good ole American Mk 48 torpedoes . All that it would take to equip them with good old American Tomahawk missiles is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ X 20

After eleven months at sea, the deck officers would all smell like poo and you'd need a lot of HP Sauce.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Why can't we shop in Russia for deck weapons/? Who or what are we defending? I hope it's Canadians.

I don't think many here are as aquainted with and or fearful of naval warfare as I am. I come frome a long line of blackgangs. Because of the stairs to air we are often consumed between superheating boilers and icey sea water. O u
r story nis seldome told because we infrequently meake it out of thye fukkin engine room.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Why can't we shop in Russia for deck weapons/? Who or what are we defending? I hope it's Canadians.

I don't think many here are as aquainted with and or fearful of naval warfare as I am. I come frome a long line of blackgangs. Because of the stairs to air we are often consumed between superheating boilers and icey sea water. O u
r story nis seldome told because we infrequently meake it out of thye fukkin engine room.

You don't have to shovel anthracite into boilers any more, Matey. They push buttons up in the wheel house and it happens automatically, now.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think the best way to improve the Canadian Navy is to write a new cookbook. The first few chapters should cover what kind of officer must be served aboard a submarine. That would be based, in part, on bloodline. You want the meat tender and tasty. Of course, how they are put down has much to do with how the meat turns out, once cooked.

The people that prepare and cook the meat must be properly trained as well. The nice thing about subs is there aren't a lot of sailors to be fed. At least, not when compared to places like CFB Borden, where thousands of meals must be dished out daily. Institutionalized cooking has never been truly tasty. Oh, the odd time something delicious comes together, but it's still a mystery. And breakfasts are the least likely to ruin, but certainly not impossible.

When I was on deployment in the Med, we were eating in mess tents and the cooks had large freezers filled with frozen meat that ringed the inside. They were never told NOT to put the meat into a refrigerator and slowly thaw the flesh. Instead, the second or third day after our arrival, large hunks of frozen beef were removed from the freezers and placed on top for defrosting. The deployment food services officer was the one responsible for having the meat out unguarded.

Wonderful, except that the wild dogs could smell that for miles. They dragged everything off in the middle of the night and we ate mushy macaroni and cheese for several days, until the kitchen was re-supplied. Training on how to protect the food would have been nice in that instance. How that officer was dealt with regarding that incident would be in orders. A replacement could have been flown in and the old one eaten.

There are several valid reasons for their consumption. The first is the meat is generally very tender. Like most animal species, the young provide the best meat. It has long been my belief that except for commanders, the field officers should be no older than 30, trim, but not gym bunnies, as their meat will be stringy or tough.

The second is that stupid (but succulent) officers can be recycled into something useful. Why allow someone who makes poor or dangerous decisions to remain with the troops? It only endangers the rest, is costly, and sets a poor example.

The third is strengthening the gene pool. Culling the herd has long been a practice animal husbandmen have followed to improve the breed. You might as well have the best!

The fourth would be steady advancement through the ranks. You cull the underachievers, which means more effective and intelligent leadership.

There are other considerations, but I didn't want to take up too much space.

Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Our subs can carry cruise missiles and were even able to until we ripped out all that Kipper stuff and equipped them to fire good ole American Mk 48 torpedoes . All that it would take to equip them with good old American Tomahawk missiles is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ X 20

After eleven months at sea, the deck officers would all smell like poo and you'd need a lot of HP Sauce.

This was accurate as of last year. The Mk 48s are incapable of being used at the moment. We did not buy all the hardware necessary to use them. They sit, waiting for a government to make them whole, or another country to buy them. We need these kits to make them usable, but there are only a handful of 48s sitting in storage right now.

Canada – MK-48 Mod 7 Advanced Technology (AT) Torpedo Kits | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This was accurate as of last year. The Mk 48s are incapable of being used at the moment. We did not buy all the hardware necessary to use them. They sit, waiting for a government to make them whole, or another country to buy them. We need these kits to make them usable, but there are only a handful of 48s sitting in storage right now.

Canada – MK-48 Mod 7 Advanced Technology (AT) Torpedo Kits | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

Well, REALLY, the only point of our diesel sub fleet is to provide mechanical mice for the US anti-submarine trainees to chase, Anyway. The chances of our subs ever firing a torpedo in anger are up there with a Leafs Stanley Cup.

Wonderful, except that the wild dogs could smell that for miles. They dragged everything off in the middle of the night and we ate mushy macaroni and cheese for several days, until the kitchen was re-suppl

I suppose that your rules of engagement didn't allow you to guard your meat using real bullets in your FNs. Sounds like one of those toothless dog UN deployments where all that you were allowed to do was bark-bark-bark.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I think Pakistan is the sleeper Nuclear country. Everyone's always yipping about Iran or NK but Pakistan is a Muslim hotspot and who knows if some of the people working with these nukes are being groomed by Muslim radicals.......

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
makes sense for Obama to be in there killing civvies with drones eh?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Well, REALLY, the only point of our diesel sub fleet is to provide mechanical mice for the US anti-submarine trainees to chase, Anyway. The chances of our subs ever firing a torpedo in anger are up there with a Leafs Stanley Cup.

Wonderful, except that the wild dogs could smell that for miles. They dragged everything off in the middle of the night and we ate mushy macaroni and cheese for several days, until the kitchen was re-suppl

I suppose that your rules of engagement didn't allow you to guard your meat using real bullets in your FNs. Sounds like one of those toothless dog UN deployments where all that you were allowed to do was bark-bark-bark.

I just wanted to correct any misunderstanding. Most importantly, that we were actually carrying MK 48s.

WRT the meat, the BFServO never thought about wild dogs. There were no sentries posted. The MWO promptly changed that and restructured how things ran.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I think Pakistan is the sleeper Nuclear country. Everyone's always yipping about Iran or NK but Pakistan is a Muslim hotspot and who knows if some of the people working with these nukes are being groomed by Muslim radicals.......

It didnt happen in 2008 when Pakistan was in turmoil and that was a big fear then. Iran aside though we should be yipping about North Korea because they are like more messed up as a government than Iran and Pakistan.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Here we go again....

All the western world getting uppity because someone else figured out how to have a big stick. There should only be 2 variations of any nuclear treaty....complete global disarmament or completely open armament. Either nobody gets to have any or anyone that can build one can have it. The idea of having a few countries owning nukes then telling the rest of the sovereign nations in the world they cannot have them is odious.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
It didnt happen in 2008 when Pakistan was in turmoil and that was a big fear then. Iran aside though we should be yipping about North Korea because they are like more messed up as a government than Iran and Pakistan.
My point about Pakistan (Iran has never made a nuke despite the Jewish screams) is that they have nukes and are Muslim.

I realize that the non Muslim USA is the only country to have ever used them but Pakistan is a Muslim hotbed and not any more stable than the USA.

Here's a short read on North Korea.....

North Korea has ‘entered the final stage of preparation

for the test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile(ICBM)’. So crowed North Korea’s young leader, Kim Jong-un, in his New Year’s Day message aimed at tough-talking US president-elect, Donald Trump.

In case there was any doubt about Pyongyang’s meaning, Kim warned his nation would continue to build its ‘capability for preemptive strike’ as long as the US and its allies continued their nuclear threats and ‘war games they stage on our doorstep.’

Trump fired back, tweeting that North Korea’s nuclear threats against the US ‘won’t happen.’ Well, not if tweets can shoot down incoming ICBM’s.

A lot of Americans dismissed Kim’s braggadocio as more hot air from a world-class producer. But one should not quickly dismiss North Korea’s claims. The US has always underestimated North Korea.

But there no need to squander trillions on new anti-missile defenses based in Alaska and California that may not work as advertised. North Korea’s missiles are designed to deter a US attack.

The alleged dire threat from North Korea can be better and more swiftly resolved by intelligent diplomacy and some calm thinking.

North Korea is a small, backwards, dirt poor nation of 25 million that has been under a fierce US-imposed sanctions regime for over half a century. Call it a North Asian Cuba. Without modest economic and military help from China, North Korea would likely have collapsed long ago. It remains under constant siege by the US and allies.

It’s easy to dismiss pip-squeak North Korea and sneer at its pretensions to major power status. That would be a mistake. In 1950, at the time of the Korean War, North Korea’s economy was larger than that of South Korea thanks to Japan’s colonial industrial policies.

Korea’s Communists, like their allies in China, took the lead in fighting Japanese occupation. America suffered heavy casualties fighting North Korean forces.

To many Koreans, particularly young ones, North Korea is the authentic Korea while South Korea remains a well-off but politically powerless American semi-protectorate. The humiliating collapse and impeachment of South Korea’s first female president, scandal-ridden Park Geun-hye, only reinforces the South’s image as a rudderless ship in stormy seas.

The big question remains, is Kim Jong-un really near to deploying an ICBM that can deliver a nuclear warhead to America? The answer appears to be yes.

A consensus of military experts now accepts that North Korea has at least ten nuclear devices, and maybe possesses up to 30. Some have been miniaturized so they can fit atop

END ALL THE CRAZINESS OVER NORTH KOREA « Eric Margolis

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
our subs are full of bolognas
they are silently propelled by beans
the crew is in english
the instructions in french
...and no one knows what dey means