'An incredible chess move': Putin checkmates Obama after symbolic sanctions manoeuvre

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

It was one of the most brilliant geopolitical chess moves in over a decade, and it involved doing nothing, according to Eurasia senior analyst Lauren Goodrich.

An expert on Russian politics at the intelligence firm Stratfor, Goodrich was referring to Russian President Vladimir Putin's response, or lack thereof, to the recent sanctions imposed on his country by U.S. President Barack Obama.

Instead of retaliating for Obama's order Thursday to expel 35 Russian diplomats and close down two Russian compounds, Putin insisted he would not reciprocate.

And, for good measure, he invited the children of U.S. diplomats accredited in Russia to the New Year's and Christmas parties in the Kremlin.

"Putin deciding not to retaliate and say I'm going to wait for the Trump administration, delegitimizes Obama's decision on one side and then also puts extra pressure on Trump to act more conciliatory when he comes in," said Goodrich.

"It's an incredible chess move."

More............
'An incredible chess move': Putin checkmates Obama after symbolic sanctions manoeuvre - World - CBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
hmmmm
...and maybe after a couple practice runs we could introduce the blindfold...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I thought inviting the US diplomats and their kids to join in Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations was an especially nice touch. Oh that Vlad. :lol:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Putin is doing a creditable job of making the Obama administration look inept. What does he have up his sleeve for the Donald?

What is the Donald and his team devising to even the scales, I wonder?

And...can anyone tell me what this is?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Putin is saving face at home. He knows he is done if more sanctions hit.

Life in Russia sucks raw bear dick for the people.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Watching Trumpites fawn all over Putin is about as embarrassing as watching SJWs fawn all over Trudeau. At least Trudeauites have inexperience and naivete as an excuse.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Sometimes, the best thing to do is nothing at all. Putin is a top tier player. Again, nothing noteworthy happened. This sparring is what Cold Wars are all about. A change in the US administration called for a reaction from the Kremlin. So far, it's stay the course.

The object is an old teething ring made of silver, which demonstrates today's lesson in world politik. Tings R not always as they seam!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How long do you think you'd sit quiet making $200 a month after learning you'll have to work harder to keep making $200 a month?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Putin is doing a creditable job of making the Obama administration look inept. What does he have up his sleeve for the Donald?

It's a Holy Grenade of Antioch.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

I figured that it was a bondage toy that you picked up during your last trip to Amsterdam.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
In a nutshell, yes. Your average Russian has seen a long history of oppression. Gulags and prison scare most People. Citizens used to 'disappear' in the night, or died. Long after Stalin was dead, his tactics continued to be employed with impunity to keep Russians docile.

If you recall, it wasn't the people, fed up with the old Communist regime that changed things. There was no uprising of the common folk. It was a forward thinking, former tractor factory worker that spearheaded the change - Mikhail Gorbachev. Everyone else followed.

Things were tentative. Few actually believed that Russia wanted change, but it happened. And the rest of the world continues to evolve as well.

It may be that Putin proves himself to be a forward thinking world leader. The Donald might surprise everyone. I think that within the next ten years, the map will be redrawn again. It's humans being human.

Personally, I think the US and Russia should get on board and clean up the mess in the ME. Both contributed to the cesspool there. The balancing game will be how to carve things up. For that, we'll have to wait and see.