Nearly half of Germans want an EU in/out referendum

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nearly half of Germans have indicated they want to follow Britain in holding a referendum on their EU membership.

A survey found 42 percent of citizens want a similar vote that led to Brexit, while two thirds of the population believe the European Union 'is heading in the wrong direction'.

It will be seen as a blow to German Chancellor Angela Merkel who has been criticised for her open-door policy on immigration which saw one million migrants enter the country last year...

Nearly half of Germans want to follow the UK and hold a Brexit-style referendum on their EU membership

Survey found 42 percent of citizens want a similar vote that led to Brexit

Two thirds of population believe the EU 'is heading in the wrong direction'

It will be seen as a blow to Chancellor Angela Merkel's immigration policy

Respondents said Germany's migrant crisis is top of the list of challenges

By Gareth Davies For Mailonline
30 November 2016

Nearly half of Germans have indicated they want to follow Britain in holding a referendum on their EU membership.

A survey found 42 percent of citizens want a similar vote that led to Brexit, while two thirds of the population believe the European Union 'is heading in the wrong direction'.

It will be seen as a blow to German Chancellor Angela Merkel who has been criticised for her open-door policy on immigration which saw one million migrants enter the country last year.

It will be seen as a blow to German Chancellor Angela Merkel who has been criticised for her open-door policy on immigration which saw one million migrants enter the country last year

The survey, carried out by TNS Infratest Politikforschung market research and analysis group, has revealed the extend to which the nation is unhappy with the current ties to Brussels.

After Italy indicating it could follow the UK in wanting to leave the EU, it could be an indication Germany would be next.

Figures show 67 percent of Germans want the EU to change its political course and a massive 96 percent want the bloc to be 'more transparent and closer to the people', according to RT.

Only 39 percent of citizens think country's deal with Europe is a positive thing and a quarter believe it could threaten their national identity with the majority of those asked considering themselves German and not European.

After Italy indicating it could follow the UK in wanting to leave the EU, it could be an indication Germany would be next

Although there is clear unrest with regards the country's relationship with Europe, only one in four welcome the so-called Eurosceptic movements.

Nearly 70 percent believe Brexit weakened the solidarity among EU members and 60 percent say Donald Tusk, president of the European Council and Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, should take a tough stance when negotiating the UK's impeding exit from the EU with Theresa May.

Germany's migrant crisis is still considered the biggest modern challenge, according to RT.

Seven in 10 respondents want to see the EU's external borders better protected, a fifth of Germans want to see them completely closed.

Police in Cologne are already putting plans in place to deal with any violence on New Year's Eve after hundreds of women reported being sexually assaulted by groups of migrants in the city last year

After the flood of migrants into the country, Germany has been rocked by terror attacks this year, heaping pressure on chancellor Angela Merkel's open-door immigration policy.

A bloody week of violence that rocked Germany began on July 18 when Pakistani teenager Riaz Khan Ahmadzai, 17, posing as an Afghan refugee, hacked at passengers on a train in Wurzburg with an axe, wounding five.

He was shot dead by police.

Four days later mentally unstable German-Iranian teenager Ali Sonboly shot nine people dead during a rampage through a shopping centre in Munich before taking his own life.

Sonboly claimed he was taking revenge for being bullied at school with no political motive to the murderous rampage.

Police in Cologne are already putting plans in place to deal with any violence on New Year's Eve after hundreds of women reported being sexually assaulted by groups of migrants in the city last year.

In a separate study, four out of ten Germans fear their country is being subverted by Islam, according to a new study into attitudes towards immigration and religion.

And 34.7 per cent say they feel like a stranger in their own country.

New research has also revealed that 28 per cent of people say they can no longer express an opinion 'without getting into trouble'.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I think the number quoted are low if my friend's comments are any indication. As broad minded as she is, she does fear for the future in Germany and is seriously thinking of leaving and coming back to Canada. We'll simply have to see what unfolds....

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The leaders should have listened to the people before they went ahead with their open-door policies.
This is what happens when the ruling parties get too big for their britches, start dictating and stop representing. Civil unrest in nearly every free country of the world.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think the number quoted are low if my friend's comments are any indication. As broad minded as she is, she does fear for the future in Germany and is seriously thinking of leaving and coming back to Canada. We'll simply have to see what unfolds....

People will be leaving Germany in their droves if, or when, the EU goes tits up.

It'd be like the Irish emigrating.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
People will be leaving Germany in their droves if, or when, the EU goes tits up.

It'd be like the Irish emigrating.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't bet on it. The Germans are more likely to stand and fight for what they want.
It was a mystery to me that Germany got into the EU in the first place. The Germans have always been people fierce in their National pride. Ordinary German citizens wouldn't have taken it lightly to join in a common culture with other nations.
But then, from my own German heritage, my great grandfather emigrated from Germany when he realized that the country was going the wrong way and there was no hope at that time of the people reversing it. So he came to Canada and was just as fiercely patriotic to his adopted country as he had been to Germany.
National pride and patriotism seem to be in the German's blood!
It's hard to predict what they will do but you CAN bet that they will have change one way or the other.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The EU just isn't going to make it.[/QUOTE

I hope you're right! It was a step toward One World Government which will
NEVER work, if anyone knows human nature.
They can never put together so many different ways of life, beliefs, cultures, age-old traditions and laws and expect it to work. It's natural for people to want a space of their own in the world that is unique to them.
The same reason why immigration from countries with opposite cultures, laws and beliefs causes problems.
There have been attempts back in history to put all people in the same box and rule them with an iron fist. But those regimes always fail eventually. It just. doesn't. work!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Maybe so, but I wouldn't bet on it. The Germans are more likely to stand and fight for what they want.
It was a mystery to me that Germany got into the EU in the first place.

Germany is one of the founder members of the EU and the organisation has largely been set up to benefit Germany at the expense of the other member states.

The Germans have always been people fierce in their National pride. Ordinary German citizens wouldn't have taken it lightly to join in a common culture with other nations. But then, from my own German heritage, my great grandfather emigrated from Germany when he realized that the country was going the wrong way and there was no hope at that time of the people reversing it. So he came to Canada and was just as fiercely patriotic to his adopted country as he had been to Germany.

It's hard to predict what they will do but you CAN bet that they will have change one way or the other.
In fact, it was largely as a result of German nationalism that the EU came about.

I think we all know what happened when the Germans got overly nationalistic in the 1930s. The result was World War II. After World War II, European integration was seen as an antidote to the extreme nationalism which had devastated the continent.

In 1957, Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and West Germany signed the Treaty of Rome, which created the European Economic Community (EEC) - which became the EU in 1993 - and established a customs union.

But there's now a resurgence of nationalism across Europe, and this is what is going to collapse the EU. European want a return to their nation states and their independence. They don't want to be subsumed in some grey, boring Eurobloc in which all member states are the same.

Accession and secession of EU (formerly EEC) member states

Founder members 1957

Belgium
France
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
(West) Germany

Denmark
Ireland
United Kingdom

Greece

Portugal
Spain

Austria
Finland
Sweden

Cyprus
Czech Republic
Estonia
Hungary
Latvia
Lithuania
Malta
Poland
Slovakia
Slovenia

Bulgaria
Romania

Croatia

United Kingdom votes to leave

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It was a mystery to me that Germany got into the EU in the first place. The Germans have always been people fierce in their National pride. Ordinary German citizens wouldn't have taken it lightly to join in a common culture with other nations.
But then, from my own German heritage, my great grandfather emigrated from Germany when he realized that the country was going the wrong way and there was no hope at that time of the people reversing it. So he came to Canada and was just as fiercely patriotic to his adopted country as he had been to Germany.

The original objective was a tariff free trade group. Germany has always been a manufacturing center so access to markets is important. Then the bureaucraps moved in and stole the show.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
and most of the money...
geeez..they even stole a huge chunk of the debt

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Germany is one of the founder members of the EU and the organisation has largely been set up to benefit Germany at the expense of the other member states.

That sounds like one opinion. Maybe so, maybe not. But if it's true it kind of backfired, didn't it? The poorer countries started freeloading of Germany's wealth. I don't imagine Germans would like that, being the industrious people that they are!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That sounds like one opinion. Maybe so, maybe not. But if it's true it kind of backfired, didn't it? The poorer countries started freeloading of Germany's wealth. I don't imagine Germans would like that, being the industrious people that they are!

And not only the Germans. The British, the second-biggest contributors to the EU budget, also aren't very happy that their money is being used to bail out countries like Greece and Ireland and fund road-building in Spain and France's inefficient farmers.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The EU just isn't going to make it.[/QUOTE

NEVER work, if anyone knows human nature. They can never put together so many different ways of life, beliefs, cultures, age-old traditions and laws and expect it to work. It's natural for people to want a space of their own in the world that is unique to them.
The same reason why immigration from countries with opposite cultures, laws and beliefs causes problems.

I guess you don't know what has been happening in Canada. Google Canadian demographics and you will get an eye opener.

Nearly half? I guess you might say 40% is nearly half, but you could also say well over half (60%) are happy with the situation the way it is. And the source is a right wing paper that no doubt would be very happy to see the Germans follow Britain's move.

That is because you don't understand one of the primary reason for the foundation of the EU and that was to reduce the likelihood of Europeans killing one another. It was reasoned (apparently correctly) that nations that trade with one another and allow relatively free movement of people from one nation to another might lose their desire to kill one another. The history of Germany during the first half of the 20th Century did not paint a very pleasant picture of the nation. A nation largely responsible for causing two world wars and engaging in the mass extermination of various ethnic groups was not an aspect of their culture Europeans wanted to continue. Making Germany central to the EU was critical as it meant that Germany had the most to gain from the existence of what has emerged as the largest free-trade zone in the world.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Making Germany central to the EU was critical as it meant that Germany had the most to gain from the existence of what has emerged as the largest free-trade zone in the world.

Like the eurozone, in which every country, rather ridiculously, has the same interest rates, and which are all controlled by the European Central Bank in Germany. And those interest rates are always set to suit the economy of one country - Germany - even to the detriment of other countries. The interest rates were bad for the Irish economy for several years leading up to its massive financial crash in 2008.

Thankfully, Britain wisely decided to keep out of the euro, despite all the europhiles warning of disaster for the UK economy if it didn't join. Like independent nation states, Britain is able to control her own interest rates to suit her own economy, rather than having her interest rates set by a bunch of foreigners in Germany to suit Germany.

As for nationalism, however, I'm all for it. It's good to see European countries, including Germany, starting to assert their national sovereignty and telling the EU to go swivel.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I guess you don't know what has been happening in Canada. Google Canadian demographics and you will get an eye opener.

Nearly half? I guess you might say 40% is nearly half, but you could also say well over half (60%) are happy with the situation the way it is. And the source is a right wing paper that no doubt would be very happy to see the Germans follow Britain's move.

That is because you don't understand one of the primary reason for the foundation of the EU and that was to reduce the likelihood of Europeans killing one another. It was reasoned (apparently correctly) that nations that trade with one another and allow relatively free movement of people from one nation to another might lose their desire to kill one another. The history of Germany during the first half of the 20th Century did not paint a very pleasant picture of the nation. A nation largely responsible for causing two world wars and engaging in the mass extermination of various ethnic groups was not an aspect of their culture Europeans wanted to continue. Making Germany central to the EU was critical as it meant that Germany had the most to gain from the existence of what has emerged as the largest free-trade zone in the world.

If you believe that BS you must be dreaming!
'MOST' Canadians, the 60% you are talking about have their heads up their axxes and don't think about anything past Trudeau's 'feel good' rhetoric.

And whoever dreamed up the reason that was sold to the people for the EU was a clever manipulator with an agenda to promote One World Government. The reasons you quote are pipe dreams.
The history of Germany is long past and not relevant to the problems of the day.
The EU is falling apart and the sooner it gets disbanded the better off the world will be.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
If you believe that BS you must be dreaming!
'MOST' Canadians, the 60% you are talking about have their heads up their axxes and don't think about anything past Trudeau's 'feel good' rhetoric.

And whoever dreamed up the reason that was sold to the people for the EU was a clever manipulator with an agenda to promote One World Government. The reasons you quote are pipe dreams.
The history of Germany is long past and not relevant to the problems of the day.
The EU is falling apart and the sooner it gets disbanded the better off the world will be.

Guess you didn't bother to read my post. The 60% refers to Germany, not Canada.

And you are 100% wrong about the influence of the EU. It may not be a perfect organization, but there has been no general European war since 1945, so it appears to be working perfectly. Also the living standards of all EU members have increased remarkably, due to EU economic and social policies. Of course it has its faults. No civilization has ever created a perfect society.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It may not be a perfect organization, but there has been no general European war since 1945, so it appears to be working perfectly.

NATO is responsible for the fact that there's been no European-wide war since 1945, not the EU.

In fact, the EU proved useless during the conflict in the Balkans.

Also the living standards of all EU members have increased remarkably, due to EU economic and social policies.
The living standards of of some EU members have decreased remarkably due to EU economic and social policies - most notably Greece.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
NATO is responsible for the fact that there's been no European-wide war since 1945, not the EU.

In fact, the EU proved useless during the conflict in the Balkans.

The living standards of of some EU members have decreased remarkably due to EU economic and social policies - most notably Greece.

There's no use pointing this out to a know-it-all who can only see his own point of view and has no respect for others.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There's no use pointing this out to a know-it-all who can only see his own point of view and has no respect for others.

He's a typical Remoaner.

Believing that the EU keeps the peace in Europe and that it makes its Member States wealthier are all myths believed by the brainwashed Remoaners.