Arise, Lord Farage! Ukip leadership contenders will push for peerage for Nigel

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nigel Farage has failed seven times to be elected as an MP but he could finally enter Parliament as 'Lord Farage'.

All three front-runners in the Ukip leadership election have pledged to secure a peerage for him.

Paul Nuttall, Suzanne Evans and Raheem Kassam say they will push Theresa May to grant the party its first peers.

They will argue that Ukip deserves representation in the House of Lords because it won more than four million votes at last year's General Election.

Call me Lord Farage! Ukip leader could finally enter Parliament as leadership front-runners pledge to secure peerage for 'Mr Brexit'

Farage has failed seven times to enter the House of Commons as an MP
But he could finally join Parliament as a peer in the House of Lords
All three Ukip leadership front-runners pledge to secure a peerage for him
They argue Ukip must be represented in Lords given its four million votes

30 October 2016
Daily Mail

Nigel Farage has failed seven times to be elected as an MP but he could finally enter Parliament as 'Lord Farage'.

All three front-runners in the Ukip leadership election have pledged to secure a peerage for him.

Paul Nuttall, Suzanne Evans and Raheem Kassam say they will push Theresa May to grant the party its first peers.

Lord Farage? The Ukip leader has failed seven times to be elected as an MP but he could finally enter Parliament

They will argue that Ukip deserves representation in the House of Lords because it won more than four million votes at last year's General Election.

It only has one MP - Douglas Carswell - and its only current members of the Lords are defectors from other parties. Ms Evans said it was an 'outrage' that Ukip was not allowed to appoint members to the Lords.

The move to put Mr Farage in the second chamber has even won backing from senior Tory Eurosceptics, who believe that appointing a 'Baron Brexit' would be popular with the public.

Mr Nuttall, the favourite to replace Mr Farage as Ukip leader, told the Sunday Times: 'If Ukip are offered positions in the House of Lords, the first name on that list will be Nigel Farage.'

Paul Nuttall (left) and Suzanne Evans (right) say they will push Theresa May to grant the party its first peers in a move that would allow Nigel Farage to join the House of Lords

Raheem Kassam (pictured), a former aide to Mr Farage and understood to be the interim leader's preferred candidate, said he would 'love' to put him in the Lords and also pledged to make him honorary president of the party

Mr Kassam, a former aide to Mr Farage and understood to be the interim leader's preferred candidate, said he would 'love' to put him in the Lords and also pledged to make him honorary president of the party.

Ms Evans told the newspaper: 'If Nigel wants a seat in the House of Lords, I will campaign like stink for that.'

The leadership contest, sparked after Diane James quit after just 18 days in charge of the party earlier this month, turned even nastier today as Mr Kassam made the extraordinary claim that his main two rivals want to see Mr Farage 'dead'.

He claimed deputy leader Mr Nuttall wants to oust Mr Farage as leader of the Eurosceptic grouping in the European Parliament.

And in an astonishing attack on Ms Evans, Mr Kassam said she was the 'biggest liar I've ever met in my life'.

The result of the contest will be announced at the beginning of December.

UKIP CIVIL WAR: LEADERSHIP RIVALS WANT TO SEE NIGEL FARAGE 'DEAD', CLAIMS FRONT-RUNNER RAHEEM KASSAM

Controversial Ukip leadership candidate Raheem Kassam , 30 (pictured posing with a gun on a visit to the US in 2014), sparked further infighting in Ukip today by claiming his leadership rivals Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans want to see Nigel Farage 'dead'

Controversial Ukip leadership candidate Raheem Kassam, 30, sparked further infighting in Ukip today by claiming his leadership rivals Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans want to see Nigel Farage 'dead'.

He claimed deputy leader Mr Nuttall wants to oust Mr Farage as leader of the Eurosceptic grouping in the European Parliament.

And in an astonishing attack on Ms Evans, Mr Kassam said she was the 'biggest liar I've ever met in my life'.

Mr Kassam, a former aide to Mr Farage and understood to be the interim leader's preferred candidate, told the Sunday Times: 'I'd love to put [Farage] in the House of Lords.

'I'd love him to be Sir Nigel Farage as well. I've committed to making him honorary president of the party.

I'm the only one who has done that. The others haven't done that. I think they wish he was dead, I really, really do.'

The extraordinary claim reflects the depth of division in the party following their historic Brexit victory.

The leadership contest was sparked after Diane James quit after just 18 days in charge of the party earlier this month.

But it has descended into chaos after seven candidates entered the race, including John Rees-Evans, who claimed during the election campaign that a gay donkey had raped his horse.

The result of the contest will be announced at the beginning of December.

Read more: Ukip leader Nigel Farage could finally join Parliament as a peer in the House of Lords | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You'd think the lords should be non-partisan, no?

The Lords aren't partisan. They're largely a bunch of out-of-touch lefty liberals who don't represent the views of the British people, including on things such as leaving the EU and immigration.

I think it's a joke that the third largest party in Britain - Ukip - does not have any peers in the House of Lords.

Ukip received 3,881,099 votes in last year's General Election but don't have any lords or baronesses in the Lords.

The pro-EU Liberal Dumbocrats, meanwhile, got just 2,415,862 votes at the General Election yet have 104 lords and baronesses sitting in the Lords.

So massively popular parties like Ukip have no representation in the unelected Lords yet massively unpopular and detested parties like the Lib Dumbs have 104 member in the Lords.

It's shameful. There should be less Lib Dumbs and many more Ukip members in the House of Lords. The Lords is too pro-EU, too pro-immigration, and not representative enough of the British people.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Farage said on Twitter it had taken him a long time to read the Guardian article because he was “laughing so much at this fake news.”

“This hysterical attempt to associate me with the Putin regime is a result of the liberal elite being unable to accept Brexit and Trump,” he said.

“I consider it extremely doubtful that I could be a person of interest to the FBI as I have no connections to Russia.”