Who are they kidding? War is hell but it doesn't turn anyone into Benjamin Button

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There are days when I wonder if our country is utterly mad. I wonder if our government, so utterly devoid of a backbone, thinks it can take taxpayers for a joke, mock every hour of every long shift they put in to fund this country.

The so-called 'child' migrants from Calais are a perfect example...

Who are they kidding? War is hell but it doesn't turn anyone into Benjamin Button

By Katie Hopkins for MailOnline
19 October 2016

I care if my government is going to look the British public in the face and expect us to believe all 28 individuals are children

There are days when I wonder if our country is utterly mad.

I wonder if our government, so utterly devoid of a backbone, thinks it can take taxpayers for a joke, mock every hour of every long shift they put in to fund this country.

The so-called 'child' migrants from Calais are a perfect example.

Fourteen child migrants from the Calais Jungle arrived here on Monday. Another 14 on Tuesday, fast-tracked by the UK because, we are told, they have family here.

I don't care if you want to call them migrants, refugees or asylum seekers. All semantics to me. They are people from other places who have travelled through many safe countries, determined to come to England.

Desperate people stop when they are safe. The comfortably determined keep going.

I don't care if you quote the Dubs Amendment at me (enabling unaccompanied children to seek refuge in the UK if they have family here, even if they have passed through safe countries en route).

I don't care if you call them migrants, refugees or asylum seekers. They are people from other places who have travelled through many safe countries, determined to come to England

Desperate people stop when they are safe. The comfortably determined keep going

Lord Dubs is a good man who fled Nazi Germany on the Kindertransport. Not a campsite at Calais on an air-conditioned bus with snacks and security.

But I really do care if my government is going to look the British public in the face and expect us to believe all 28 individuals are children.

Amber Rudd said those under 12 would be her priority.

Right, Miss Rudd. Can you explain this gentleman to us, please? Facial recognition software says he is 38. Your own guidance from your department, which you run, says an asylum seeker should be treated as an adult if their physical appearance or demeanour 'very strongly suggests' that they are significantly over 18 years of age.

Has the rule book gone out of the window along with any scrap of sanity I thought we had?

The Islington Intellectuals sit weeping into their linen hankies, reminding us that living through war can have the effect of making a child look older than he is. A modern-day progeria, a condition ageing children before their time.

The Islington Intellectuals sit weeping into their linen hankies, reminding us that living through war can have the effect of making a child look older than he is

Sure thing. Their journey through safe countries to continue their crusade to England has turned them all into Benjamin Button.

Asked what was the worst thing about Calais, one of our most recent 'child' arrivals said queuing. Queuing for jeans, queuing for food, queuing for new shoes.

I spent two days at the Jungle camp in Calais and was tear-gassed for my trouble

Get used to it, sunshine. We are British. We love a queue. And if someone told us we could queue for free handouts of clothes and food, we'd happily stand there for days. We'd probably bring picnic chairs and umbrellas and make an adventure out of it.

We aren’t used to getting something for nothing, you see. We aren't used to being fast-tracked past the queue. We understand we have to wait our turn, work for what we want.

Unlike Silly Lily Allen and crocodile tears for camera, wafting around the charity warehouse at Calais, I spent two days in camp and was tear-gassed for my trouble.

The reason these kids queue when new clothes arrive is because at night the camp becomes a bazaar. A market place, the Calais Car Boot, if you will, where these clothes donated by strangers are sold on by migrants for cash.

For the men, life in camp is not hard. It is easy. Too easy. Facilitated by endless do-gooders playing at being selfless volunteers whilst indulging in a bit of a migrant gawp-fest.

For women and real children it must be harder. One lady I met was desperate to get out with her little girl because she was afraid. But she was the only lady with a small child I met in the main camp.

Asked what was the worst thing about Calais, one of our most recent 'child' arrivals said queuing. Queuing for jeans, queuing for food, queuing for new shoes

Once again, women and children appear to be last in the line where migrants are involved. That is not the British way. Our culture does not see women as second class.

Amber Rudd, our Home Secretary, said it would be 'a good result' if the UK took 500 children.

Fourteen child migrants from the Calais jungle arrived here on Monday. Another 14 on Tuesday, fast-tracked by the UK because, we are told, they have family here

Can anyone explain to me how this is a good result? A good result for whom? A good result for these 'young' men, certainly. But explain to me exactly how this is a good result for the taxpayer or parents of children in our own country.

How is this good news for British parents hoping to get their child a place at a school? London councils say demand overtakes primary school places in 2017/2018. Across the country there will be a shortfall of 200,000 places by 2020.

Try calling your local doctor’s surgery for a same-day doctor’s appointment today. Now try again if you have been up all night with a sick child; try to convince a receptionist you matter more, your child matters more. Bargain for care, and the pressure of limited resources suddenly feels very real indeed.

And even as we look around at the state of our own children here in the UK, can we really say we are in such a good place we can afford to be the Motherland for all the world's waifs and strays?

The Fostering Network in the UK says it needs to find 8,370 families this year alone to look after vulnerable children in Britain. There are 80,000 children in state care on any one day in the UK. The shortage of homes means desperate social workers can end up placing children with families who aren’t quite right for them.

Pop singer Lily Allen has been apologising for our proud country with her crocodile tears for the camera

And that's before we consider foreign young men resilient enough to make it to our border yet, strangely, not hardy enough to make a living for themselves in the first safe country they arrive in.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said it would be 'a good result' if the UK took 500 children

You know, the picture of little Alan Kurdi washed up on a beach, drowned aged three, was a pivotal moment in history, and led to the most disastrous political decision of our time. Uncontrolled mass immigration.

These pictures of apparently grown men, appearing to laugh in the faces of the British taxpayer from under their stubble and branded hoodies, have the very opposite effect.

So, too, Lily Allen apologising for our proud country, or refugee charities trying to politicise their 'good deeds'. They have all shot themselves in the foot.

We are a generous country. But we will not be mocked. We will not be apologised for, or laughed at.

If anything, we are certain we should not allow any of these young men into our country.

Calais's Benjamin Buttons only strengthen our resolve for hard Brexit, toughens our stance on immigration and reaffirms that Britain is truly great when it puts its own people at the front of the line.

Last edited: