Diane James resigns as Ukip leader

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
UKIP has been plunged into turmoil after Diane James unexpectedly quit as leader after 18 days in the job.

Ms James cited professional and personal reasons for her decision.

Ms James, who succeeded Nigel Farage on 16 September, said she did not have enough authority in the party and would not be "formalising" her nomination.

She had not appointed a deputy and UKIP officials were unable to say who was now the leader of the party, although Mr Farage says he technically still is.

However, Mr Farage told the BBC that he would not be contesting any future leadership contest.

UKIP in leadership turmoil after Diane James resignation

BBC News
5 October 2016

UKIP has been plunged into turmoil after Diane James unexpectedly quit as leader after 18 days in the job.

Ms James cited professional and personal reasons for her decision.

Ms James, who succeeded Nigel Farage on 16 September, said she did not have enough authority in the party and would not be "formalising" her nomination.

She had not appointed a deputy and UKIP officials were unable to say who was now the leader of the party, although Mr Farage says he technically still is.

However, Mr Farage told the BBC that he would not be contesting any future leadership contest.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, UKIP chairman Paul Oakden said he would check with the Electoral Commission to see who the leader was and admitted it could technically be Mr Farage.

Asked whether Mr Farage would return to lead the party again, Mr Oakden said it was "very unlikely" but added: "I wouldn't say anything is impossible."

Mr Oakden previously said he would look to hold an emergency meeting of the party's national executive committee to confirm the process for electing Ms James's replacement.

"Whilst the decision is unfortunate, it is one that Diane is entitled to make. We thank her for all her work as leader, and as a hard-working MEP, a role she will continue with her customary vigour."

Ms James said in her resignation statement sent to The Times newspaper: "It has become clear that I do not have sufficient authority, nor the full support of all my MEP colleagues and party officers to implement changes I believe necessary and upon which I based my campaign.

"For personal and professional reasons therefore, I will not take the election process further."

The former Conservative councillor, who defected to UKIP in 2011, said she would "continue to concentrate fully" on her activities and responsibilities as an MEP, adding it was her "final media statement on the issue".

Her decision is also thought to be partly due to a family illness.

Ms James, a former businesswoman and healthcare professional, defeated four other contenders - Lisa Duffy, Bill Etheridge, Liz Jones and Phillip Broughton - in the leadership battle.

She won with 8,451 out of the 17,970 votes cast, ahead of Ms Duffy, who received 4,591.

One-time frontrunner Steven Woolfe was barred from standing after submitting his nomination papers too late, while Suzanne Evans was unable to take part as she was suspended at the time.

Speaking to Today, Ms Duffy said she was "not overly surprised" at the news Ms James had quit, saying she did not believe she had "particularly wanted to do (the job) or had the passion" for it.

"She entered the leadership contest at the last minute, didn't engage in the process and over the last 18 days I'm afraid we haven't had any leadership from her," Ms Duffy said, adding that she was "disappointed" for UKIP members.

Councillor Lisa Duffy said she would consider whether to run for the leadership again

Ms Duffy said she would not rule herself out from standing again for the leadership.

She added: "I've said to the party chairman, 'I am here right now, anything I can do to support our party and our hard-working members just pick up the phone and ask, I'm available'."

On UKIP's future, Ms Duffy insisted the party was "more relevant than we've ever been", and said a strong leader is needed to set the party's direction.

Diane James addresses the UKIP party conference after being elected its new leader.

Ms James, in her acceptance speech at the party's conference in Bournemouth, had said UKIP would "confound our critics", "outwit our opponents" and "build on our election success" and more.

But the race to replace Mr Farage had exposed bitter divisions within UKIP, with Ms James encountering criticism from some in the party after declining to take part in hustings debates around the country with her rivals.

Her resignation prompted speculation Mr Farage - UKIP leader from 2006-2009 and 2010-2016 - might return to lead the party for a third time.

However, he told the Press Association: "I'm not coming back, I'm retired."

Nigel Farage has ruled out a leadership return

The face of Euroscepticism in the UK for nearly two decades, Mr Farage helped turn UKIP from a fringe party into the third biggest in UK politics - in terms of votes at the 2015 general election.

Announcing his decision to stand down, he said his "political ambition has been achieved".

Responding to Ms James's resignation, UKIP's only MP, Douglas Carswell, said: "I'm sad and surprised. I just hope she's alright".

Meanwhile, a number of senior UKIP members in the East of England have told the BBC of having "nagging concerns" about the "radio silence" from Ms James's camp since her election as leader.

They suggested that unless UKIP's national executive committee changes party rules, Lisa Duffy - who was backed by many anti-Farage supporters - "made sense" as an interim leader.

Analysis

Norman Smith, BBC assistant political editor

Even before Diane James' shock resignation, UKIP were a party teetering on the cusp of chaos, riven by feuds and factionalism.

Nigel Farage's decision to quit in the summer stripped UKIP of his dominant, driving personality, which held a quarrelling party together and gave it a sense of identity and momentum.

The subsequent brutal leadership contest exposed the personal and political fault lines with the party descending into near civil war.

On top of that, victory in the Brexit referendum had appeared to deprive the party of its very reason for existing.

Inevitably there will be speculation about a possible return for Mr Farage, though last night he insisted he had retired and would not be coming back.

Now with a slow haemorrhage of support returning to the Tories, there will be questions as to whether UKIP faces the fate of so many minor parties squeezed to the out margins of British politics.

UKIP in leadership turmoil after Diane James resignation - BBC News

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
After a terrible day, I am Ukip leader again. But the party has a great future without me

Nigel Farage
5 October 2016
The Telegraph

To listen to Theresa May’s first speech to the Tory Party conference as Prime Minister is to marvel at the seismic change in British politics in 2016. Ukip has not just pushed for, gained and helped to win a national referendum; more than that, we have changed the entire national debate. Indeed, the centre of gravity has shifted so much that nearly every line in Mrs May’s speech echoed my own at Ukip conferences over the years.

Whatever Ukip’s achievements, however, the events of yesterday morning were not a great advertisement to the outside world. Just 18 days after her election, Diane James MEP announced that she was standing down as our leader. The reaction was one of astonishment, even disbelief. It proved once again that 2016 is the year of political surprises.

I am sorry that, after climbing the hill, she did not like the view and felt for personal reasons that she could not carry on. Take my word for it, the job is very demanding. All normal life comes to an end. I am only grateful that she realised this now and not in six months time.

As her election had not been validated by the Electoral Commission, the marriage effectively had not been consummated. This means that technically and legally I am still leader of Ukip. I feel rather like an escapee who has been recaptured, but no matter. I will do my duty to the party and stay in position until we have a validated new leader.

So what does Ukip do now? We will launch another leadership campaign and have a new leader by the end of November. Things could be worse. We could be in the Labour Party. On current form Ukip has a more appealing message to the electorate without a leader than Labour does with Jeremy Corbyn.

For the avoidance of doubt, my own name will not be going forward to be leader – I have more than done my bit. So at worst, this whole saga has put us back a few weeks. It is no worse than that.

Of course there are some who will say that Ukip has now fulfilled its political purpose and has nowhere to go. They are wrong. The last opinion poll at the weekend had the party on 16 per cent. There are millions of people who like voting Ukip and believe in us. They know that by supporting us they have helped to change the course of British history and they are pleased about that. Indeed, a recent poll showed that 86 per cent of Ukip voters are now optimistic about this country’s future.

Over the last couple of years we have impacted the Labour vote in a way that very few commentators predicted. It was in many traditional Labour constituencies that a surprisingly large number of Brexit votes were delivered on June 23. In areas like the Midlands, the North of England and Wales a large number of life-long Labour voters opted for Brexit.

They have now been cast aside by their own party – denounced as racists by Diane Abbott and told by Mr Corbyn that there should be no limits on the number of people coming to Britain. I believe that Ukip can talk to these people, that the party must now target this old Labour vote and choose a leader fit for that purpose.

I accept there will be many Tories cheering Mrs May’s words today. Some of them will have voted Ukip in the 2014 European elections. The danger that she now faces is one of raised expectations on the EU, immigration and grammar schools. If she delivers, her position will be unassailable in 2020. But if she falters, if Brexit is not seen to have been delivered, then there will be a deep wave of Tory disappointment.

It is worth remembering that as Home Secretary she talked tough on immigration and utterly failed to deliver. Either way, it is vital for the 17.4 million Brexit voters that we have a strong Ukip voice to challenge the Government throughout this journey to our nation’s independence outside of the EU. If by the time of the next election we do not have our British passports back and have not reclaimed our territorial fishing waters, then the June 2016 referendum will be unfinished business.

In these circumstances Ukip would go into a 2020 election in a stronger position than at any point in its history. Yes, we have to find a new leader and as I’ve argued for some months our governing body is in need of serious professionalisation. But all of this can and will happen. Ukip will be fit for purpose and provide the genuine voice of political opposition. All political parties have bad days. I’m pleased that yesterday is behind us.

After a terrible day, I am Ukip leader again. But the party has a great future without me

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Steven Woolfe, the favourite to be Ukip's new leader and one of the North West of England's three Ukip MEPs (one of my Ukip MEPs), has collapsed outside the European Parliament in Strasbourg...

BREAKING: Ukip leadership favourite Steven Woolfe is rushed to hospital after allegedly being HIT during meeting of the party's MEPs

Leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe collapses at European Parliament

Ex leader Nigel Farage says he was hit at a meeting of Ukip MEPs earlier

Reportedly punched in the face during the altercation this morning

Collapse said to have happened on a walkway at building in Strasbourg

By James Tapsfield, Political Editor For Mailonline
6 October 2016

Ukip leadership favourite Steven Woolfe has collapsed at the European Parliament in Strasbourg after apparently being hit during a meeting of the party's MEPs.

The dramatic incident happened at around 11.20 UK time when the MEP was on a walkway that runs between offices and the chamber itself.

Former leader Nigel Farage said in a statement: 'I deeply regret that following an altercation that took place at a meeting of Ukip MEPs this morning that Steven Woolfe subsequently collapsed and was taken to hospital. His condition is serious.'

Potential rivals for the leadership including Suzanne Evans have wished Mr Woolfe a 'speedy recovery'.

A Ukip spokesman said: 'Steven Woolfe MEP was taken suddenly ill in the European Parliament building in Strasbourg this morning.

He has been taken to hospital in the city and he is undergoing tests.'

Steven Woolfe, the favourite to become Ukip leader, has reportedly collapsed at the European Parliament building in Strasbourg

The European Parliament chamber in Strasbourg. Mr Woolfe is said to have collapsed on a walkway in the building

The outside of the European Parliament building in Strasbourg, where MEPs sit for just a few days a month

UKIP, the model to be use by 'The Donald' if elected?

Ukip is the model for all Western leaders to follow.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
UKIP's Steven Woolfe 'conscious in hospital after altercation'

6 October 2016
BBC News

Mr Woolfe is standing against Raheem Kassam for the UKIP leadership

UKIP leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe is conscious in hospital following an altercation at a meeting of party MEPs, UKIP sources have told the BBC.

The sources said doctors reported that Mr Woolfe had suffered two seizures and it was believed he had bleeding on the brain.

He has undergone further tests including a brain scan, they said.

Mr Woolfe announced on Wednesday he will stand for the party's leadership after Diane James stepped down.

In his statement, UKIP interim leader Nigel Farage said: "I deeply regret that following an altercation that took place at a meeting of UKIP MEPs this morning that Steven Woolfe subsequently collapsed and was taken to hospital. His condition is serious."

UKIP MEP Roger Helmer told the BBC the incident followed "some lively exchanges" at a closed meeting of party MEPs on Thursday morning. He said the gathering happened "a good two hours" before a voting session from which he understood Mr Woolfe left.

Raheem Kassam, the other candidate to have declared for the UKIP leadership so far, tweeted his best wishes for Mr Woolfe, as did ex deputy chairwoman Suzanne Evans.

Raheem Kassam, who is to stand for the Ukip leadership

Mr Kassam tweeted that he had cancelled his appearance on BBC2's Daily Politics "out of respect" for Mr Woolfe, following reports he had been taken ill.

He added: "I really hope @Steven-Woolfe is okay. Plz send him your best wishes."

Ms Evans, who is said to be considering her own leadership bid, tweeted: "Shocked to hear Steven Woolfe has apparently collapsed in the European Parliament in Strasbourg. Wishing him well for a speedy recovery."

Diane James said on Twitter: "My thoughts are with @Steven-Woolfe and his wife and daughter at this anxious time and I wish Steven a speedy and full recovery."

Lisa Duffy, who stood in the previous UKIP leadership contest, told the BBC she had known Mr Woolfe before his daughter was born and had attended his wedding: "Today's news is devastating for everybody concerned and I can't possibly speculate on what's actually happened."

Bill Etheridge, also a former UKIP leadership contender and an MEP for the West Midlands, tweeted: "Hoping all is well and wishing @Steven_Woolfe all the best after he was taken ill today in Strasbourg."

Mr Farage said on Wednesday he would return as UKIP's interim leader until a fresh election could be held to find Ms James's successor.

Ms James announced her resignation after just 18 days in the job, citing professional and personal reasons for her decision.

She succeeded Mr Farage on 16 September after he resigned following the Brexit vote.

Mr Woolfe was unable to take part in the previous UKIP leadership race after he missed the deadline for submitting his nomination.

UKIP's Steven Woolfe 'conscious in hospital after altercation' - BBC News

Apparently, the guy who smacked Woolfe is Ukip's defence spokesman, with the suitable name Mike Hookem:

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Can't find a Briton to do the job? They might want to look overseas for the right candidate.

They could do.

Ukip, Greens, Lib Dems and SNP are the only parties - at least the more mainstream ones - that allow anyone living anywhere in the world to join.

The Conservatives exclusively admit UK residents, but do not require its members to hold British citizenship.

Labour is the least open: it is only open to British or Irish citizens, or residents who have lived in the UK for at least a year.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
David Cameron warned us that Brexit would lead to UKIP leadership candidates brawling in the streets. HE WARNED US. Long gone now are the good old days when gravity bloodied up the UKIP leader and the PM was a proper ****er of pig's heads

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
David Cameron warned us that Brexit would lead to UKIP leadership candidates brawling in the streets. HE WARNED US.

No, he didn't. He warned us of World War III.

Never a dull moment in British politics now:

Mr Woolfe dramatically collapsed on a walkway in the European Parliament building in Strasbourg at around 11.20am UK time shortly after the fight with another Ukip politician - alleged to be Mike Hookem - at a 'clear the air' meeting. After being told he was a 'joke', Mr Woolfe apparently took off his jacket and challenged Mr Hookem to 'settle this outside'. The married father-of-one - who was marking his 49th birthday today - suffered serious head injuries and is being treated for bleeding on the brain. Sources claimed the row was over Mr Woolfe's admission that he had considered defecting to the Tories after being 'enthused' by Theresa May's new direction. At one point his injuries were thought to be life-threatening, but in a statement issued from his hospital bed this afternoon, Mr Woolfe said: 'The CT scan has shown that there is no blood clot in the brain. 'At the moment I am feeling brighter, happier, and smiling as ever.'

Steven Woolfe, the favourite to become Ukip leader, collapsed at the European Parliament building in Strasbourg after being punched by another MEP at a 'clear the air' meeting. Images published by ITV News appear to show him sprawled unconscious on the floor

Steven Woolfe says he’s ‘feeling brighter’ after getting PUNCHED by a UKIP MEP | Daily Mail Online

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
UKIP MEP Mike Hookem denies assaulting Steven Woolfe

BBC News
7 October 2016

The UKIP MEP involved in an altercation with Steven Woolfe has said he "categorically did not" throw a punch at his colleague.

Mike Hookem acknowledged he and his colleague had a "scuffle" in the European Parliament but insisted that he did not hit him.

"I am innocent," he told the BBC. "I never threw a punch. I never assaulted him. I will stand my corner."

UKIP's Steven Woolfe will be kept in hospital for a further 48 hours.

Thursday's incident is being investigated by UKIP and the European Parliament.

Steven Woolfe, Ukip MEP for North West England, with Mike Hookem, Ukip MEP for Yorkshire and the Humber

Mr Woolfe, a frontrunner to be the next leader of the UKIP, has said he is happy to "extend the hand of friendship" to his colleague.

There have been varying descriptions of what happened during what UKIP called an "altercation" and Mr Hookem told BBC Radio Humberside only he and Mr Woolfe knew precisely what went on.

Mr Hookem said he was "shocked" by the MEP's hospitalisation in the hours following the incident.

But he insisted the incident had been "blown out of all proportion" and Mr Woolfe's "injuries did not come from him" - adding that he was now prepared "to shake Mr Woolfe's hand".

Mr Woolfe is to remain under observation for a further 48 hours in Strasbourg "as a precaution".

UKIP MEP Mike Hookem denies assaulting Steven Woolfe - BBC News