Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Every child should be taught about the negative impact and suffering caused by the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn has suggested.

Mr Corbyn told young Labour supporters that the national curriculum should be re-written to teach children about how the Empire expanded "at the expense of people".

He also suggested that the curriculum should be changed so that every child should be taught about the importance of the trade unions, his biggest backers.

Children should be taught about how people around the World suffered because of the rise of the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn has suggested.

The Labour leader told an audience of young supporters that he would like to see the national curriculum re-written to take into account the damaging impacts of British imperialism such as the slave trade.

He also suggested that the history curriculum should be changed so that every child should be taught about the importance of the trade unions, his biggest backers.

It came after Mr Corbyn suggested that Trotskyists and Communists are welcome in the Labour party and would not be thrown out as long as they accepted its values.

In a BBC interview on the eve of the party conference in Brighton, he was asked by presenter Andrew Marr: “Thirty years ago almost to the day, just down the coast, Neil Kinnock kicked out the Trotskyists and the Communists from the Labour Party. Are they welcome back in again?”

Mr Corbyn replied: “Anyone is welcome to join the Labour Party providing they support the principles of the party and be content with that.

“And thousands have joined the Labour Party in the last few weeks. Fifty thousand, maybe 60,000 have joined since I was elected two weeks ago, 150,000 have joined since the General Election. This is a growing, enthusiastic, optimistic party.”

Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says - Telegraph

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
One nice thing about being Metis
A people who have never had to say sorry for being jerks to another people
the crimes of empire are why it is now so illegal to be a single white male
slick eh?

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
How's Corbyn going to bring in this ludicrous policy? He's never going to be elected.

Once again the Labour Party - fresh from calling 17.4 million Leave voters "racists" and attacking "Essex Man" and racially abusing Jewish people and sneering at those people who display English flags in their windows - is displaying its true anti-British colours.

There are 17.4 million Leave voters who aren't going to vote for the party; 1.7 million people of Essex who aren't going to vote for it; 291,000 Jews who aren't going to vote for it; and most of the 53 million people of England who aren't going to vote for it.

Good luck, Jeremy...

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Take away his obvious bias for trade unions and I agree.

But as Bar said, all nations should teach the negative of their history, not just the yay happy shiny points. Not only is it teaching the truth, but it can show where the country has been and how its progressed since that time, and maybe help kids understand the direction the nation has to go in order to be part of the world.

It's not just the Brits that need to do this, but since a lot of the world WAS under their rule, it only makes sense that they realize just how much their egoism, elitism and in general superiority complex has twisted many places on this planet.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What about all the other things they could learn in those many years of intense study?? Let the countries they have made themselves Masters in at some point fill out the forms anonymously.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Countries that have never been invaded and/or ruled by the British:

There's an uncomfortable amount of white on that map and not enough Empire Pink.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Take away his obvious bias for trade unions and I agree.

But as Bar said, all nations should teach the negative of their history, not just the yay happy shiny points. Not only is it teaching the truth, but it can show where the country has been and how its progressed since that time, and maybe help kids understand the direction the nation has to go in order to be part of the world.

It's not just the Brits that need to do this, but since a lot of the world WAS under their rule, it only makes sense that they realize just how much their egoism, elitism and in general superiority complex has twisted many places on this planet.
Trade and labour Unions are peachy keen there jelly bean.

It's White Collar Unions that have to go.

CUPE or Unifor won't take someone with a Grade 10 education and give them the internationally recognized skills to earn $125K a year.

Canadian Trade Unions set the bar for high standards world wide.

The training and high standards they offer are irreplaceable.

Trade Unions are a must.

There's an uncomfortable amount of white on that map and not enough Empire Pink.

What empire? It was toast before you licked you way out of the womb.

Even the Commonwealth is a joke.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Trade and labour Unions are peachy keen there jelly bean.

It's White Collar Unions that have to go.

CUPE or Unifor won't take someone with a Grade 10 education and give them the internationally recognized skills to earn $125K a year.

Canadian Trade Unions set the bar for high standards world wide.

The training and high standards they offer are irreplaceable.

Trade Unions are a must.

Admittedly I don't know much about specific union types. I know my union - CUPE - I have issues with even as much as I do support unions in theory.

I'm just pointing out the bias needs to be ignored to focus on the real issue, which is Brit History.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is the one that fits what I'm saying exactly.

Just what is a Barbarian and who in heII appointed the Brit empire the decider of what that was, AND appointed them the curative of such things?

French and Dutch didn't do any better either.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

There is more to running an empire than collecting taxes, ask a professional like Trump for a preview of what 'quality time' actually looks like.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Even the Commonwealth is a joke.

How?

Why is it there is a huge amount of countries wanting to join it, including many that weren't part of the Empire, such as Japan, but none wanting to leave it if it's a joke?

Just what is a Barbarian

The primitive, savage races that inhabit North America, Africa and Australasia.

who in heII appointed the Brit empire the decider of what that was, AND appointed them the curative of such things?

God.