Plan to deny care to obese patients/smokers put on hold

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ork-nhs-obesity-smokers-deny-elective-surgery

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Since it's the NHS in Britain, they should extend it to everyone who goes to the village pub everyday. That ought to free up lots of funds.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Looking at this girl, she won't live to see fifty.She may be pre disposed to be heavy though . The cigs will do her in.

The most important determinant of all of that is her genes. She could also live to be ninety. Both of my grandfathers were smokers. One lived to be 87 and the other made it to 94. They were fitter that her, I will admit.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
The most important determinant of all of that is her genes. She could also live to be ninety. Both of my grandfathers were smokers. One lived to be 87 and the other made it to 94. They were fitter that her, I will admit.
Have to agree in a sense ole Eubie Blake lived to be in his nineties and smoked like a freight train.

Then there's my sister who died at 60 from lung cancer . The doctors attributed her disease to being a life long smoker so who knows.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
A doctor's job is to treat illnesses, not to lay blame on the patient for what society labels 'an unhealthy lifestyle'.
When a falling-down drunk causes a serious car accident and appears in the emergency department all smashed up, do they refuse to treat him because his drunkenness caused the accident?
When an amateur hobbyist cuts his fingers off with a skill saw, do they refuse to treat him because he was obviously careless?
When a drug addict ODs, does the medical staff refuse to treat him because he was doing something illegal?
Don't the vilest of convicted criminals get medical treatment when they need it?
Of course they all do!
I think doctors who refuse to treat smokers or the obese should be stripped of their license to practice medicine.

It's a stupid shame that cigarettes are vilified as the greatest evil while there is an epidemic of illegal drug use and STDs in the kids of today.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
My Ex family doctor won't take any patients that smoke.

Is that why he is your Ex family doctor? If so, good for you!

I am so damned sick of anti-smokers and their self righteous attitudes! Anything goes these days and it's perfectly okay as long as you DON'T SMOKE. Morality, honesty, humility, all vestiges of basic values are totally lost and those holier-than-thou anti-smokers focus on smoking! They are the sick ones.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Is that why he is your Ex family doctor? If so, good for you!

I am so damned sick of anti-smokers and their self righteous attitudes! Anything goes these days and it's perfectly okay as long as you DON'T SMOKE. Morality, honesty, humility, all vestiges of basic values are totally lost and those holier-than-thou anti-smokers focus on smoking! They are the sick ones.

What I just love, is the hypocrites that endorse legalizing pot, and wanting to allow it anywhere and everywhere, but those that smoke cigarettes are no better than the devil.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Smoking has been going down since the 80s
lung cancer is on the rise

"The pretext for the antismoking stampede was, that by ‘eliminating’ smoking, lung cancer would be ‘eliminated’. While smoking has certainly lost some of its former popularity in the ‘western’ world, lung cancer remains on the rise. In the United States, cigarette sales topped in 1981, with 636 billion cigarettes. While cigarette consumption has almost dropped to half of this figure, the same cannot be said of lung cancer. Lung cancer does not seem to mind whether people smoke or not."
https://cfrankdavis.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/smoking-down-lung-cancer-up/
maybe someone was a tad over zealous

do you really want a doctor who is PC...
or good at reality?

and of course obeastity
ask a GP what would be the exact correct nutrition
see what kind of non answer you get

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Send the bill to the tobacco industry and swelling people up probably puts money in somebodies pocket. At the same time if I sign away my health benefits the price of my cigs should also go way down in price. Make the suicide pill available (at cost) instead.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Trends in lung cancer mortality rates among males for select countries, 1950–2013. Age-standardized rate (world). Data source: WHO IARC Cancer Mortality Database.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A doctor's job is to treat illnesses, not to lay blame on the patient for what society labels 'an unhealthy lifestyle'.
When a falling-down drunk causes a serious car accident and appears in the emergency department all smashed up, do they refuse to treat him because his drunkenness caused the accident?
When an amateur hobbyist cuts his fingers off with a skill saw, do they refuse to treat him because he was obviously careless?
When a drug addict ODs, does the medical staff refuse to treat him because he was doing something illegal?
Don't the vilest of convicted criminals get medical treatment when they need it?
Of course they all do!
I think doctors who refuse to treat smokers or the obese should be stripped of their license to practice medicine.

It's a stupid shame that cigarettes are vilified as the greatest evil while there is an epidemic of illegal drug use and STDs in the kids of today.

Agreed, but on the flip side I don't have a hell of lot of patience with patients who go to a doctor for treatment and then refuse to follow his/her instructions. They are just wasting their own time plus valuable resources that could be directed to patients than can be saved!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Smoking has been going down since the 80s
lung cancer is on the rise
Really? My father worked in the field behind horses and the dust from the black dirt had bacteria in it that ended up in his lungs. It eventually caused his death and yes he did smoke.
Wouldn't asthma attacks be the first stage of interference with a person's breathing ability? Anything that interferes with the red blood cells will have the same effect on everybody, the brain sees a lower 02 content and corrects it but in some cases the ability of the cell to carry 02 is reduced and the brain doesn't pick that part up so no adapting is done and the side effects appear without any obvious cause.

You should be able to predict a person's breathing performance using data from altitude sickness studies as they seem to have a certain height where that is likely to happen for most people. After that height each stage has certain signs and the cure is to apply the treatment in a better safe than sorry mode. The cure is lower altitude (more air pressure) or increase the 02 intake for as long as it takes. That last part might be the solution to other products that result in the body getting less than optimal 02. Fixing that is relatively cheap.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
It's not just lung cancer. Hypertension and heart disease. Hardening of the arteries, dental disease, and all conditions that relate to those. Sure there are other contributing factors but cigarettes play a major part in all these illnesses. A good doctor will not only encourage people to quit, they will help them in doing so.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Agreed, but on the flip side I don't have a hell of lot of patience with patients who go to a doctor for treatment and then refuse to follow his/her instructions. They are just wasting their own time plus valuable resources that could be directed to patients than can be saved!
What about the ones who don't do anything but go to the doc for anything including a hang-nail? The waiting rooms should be filled with alternative treatment books so the patients might find the solution while waiting for something way more expensive. Take away the shareholder part of big pharma and the cost of treatments bottoms out, where it should be as health is pretty close to being an essential service.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
What about the ones who don't do anything but go to the doc for anything including a hang-nail? The waiting rooms should be filled with alternative treatment books so the patients might find the solution while waiting for something way more expensive. Take away the shareholder part of big pharma and the cost of treatments bottoms out, where it should be as health is pretty close to being an essential service.
Tell us how you feel about food banks.
After all good conversation should be easy for us because we have been accused of same ideologies,
even going as far to call us kin folk
So food banks?