'Yes to peace': Colombia, FARC rebels reach historic deal to end 5-decade war

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The world is a safe place.

'Yes to peace': Colombia, FARC rebels reach historic deal to end 5-decade war

Colombia's government and the country's biggest rebel group reached a deal Wednesday evening for ending a half-century of hostilities in what has been one of the world's longest-running armed conflicts.

The government's accord with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) must still be ratified by voters in a plebiscite in order to take effect.

But the announcement in Havana of a deal after four years of talks opens the possibility for Colombians to put behind them political bloodshed that has claimed more than 220,000 lives and driven more than 5 million people from their homes.

"I can die in peace because finally I'll see my country without violence with a future for my children," said Orlando Guevara, 57, crying as he watched the announcement on a giant TV screen with about 400 other people on a plaza in Colombia's capital. Some in the crowd waved white flags symbolizing peace and others held up the national flag.

As soon as rebel leader Ivan Marquez finished his speech, bringing an end to the televised event, the people at the plaza sang the national anthem and shouted, "Viva Colombia! Yes to peace!"

'Yes to peace': Colombia, FARC rebels reach historic deal to end 5-decade war - World - CBC News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Just like the Cuban missile crisis and the removal of the U.S. travel ban.

Also