'We knew nothing': Joseph Goebbels' former secretary says it was 'just another job'

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Brunhilde Pomsel says working as secretary to Joseph Goebbels was "just another job", and that those who say they would have stood up to the Nazis in her shoes are probably mistaken.

Ms Pomsel is, at 105, one of the few surviving people who regularly interacted with the Nazi inner circle during the Second World War.

'We knew nothing': Joseph Goebbels' former secretary says it was 'just another job'

Brunhilde Pomsel says working for Joseph Goebbels was "just another job". Credit: Blackbox Film

By David Lawler, Washington
17 August 2016
The Telegraph

Brunhilde Pomsel says working as secretary to Joseph Goebbels was "just another job", and that those who say they would have stood up to the Nazis in her shoes are probably mistaken.

Ms Pomsel is, at 105, one of the few surviving people who regularly interacted with the Nazi inner circle during the Second World War.

She was in the bunker where Goebbels and Adolf Hitler committed suicide at the end of the war, making sure there was sufficient alcohol on hand to "retain the numbness".

In the three years prior, Ms Pomsel had sat just outside of Goebbels' personal office each day, asking him questions when necessary and keeping track of his phone calls.

A German Life; Trailer 1:

But she says she was unaware of the mass atrocities being carried out by the regime she served.

“I know no one ever believes us nowadays – everyone thinks we knew everything. We knew nothing. It was all kept well secret," she told the Guardian in a new interview ahead of the release of a film about her life.

Ms Pomsel is unapologetic even as she recalls her work manipulating data about war time casualties and otherwise keeping the wheels spinning in the German propaganda machine.

“It is important for me, when I watch the film, to recognise that mirror image in which I can understand everything I’ve done wrong,” she says of A German Life, the upcoming documentary. “But really, I didn’t do anything other than type in Goebbels’ office.”

She was thrilled to take the job, she says, noting the generous salary and describing the beautiful surroundings at the propaganda ministry.

Joseph Goebbels with his family. Credit: Getty

When her flat was destroyed during an aerial bombardment, she even received a silk-lined suit from Goebbels's wife Magda.

If others had been placed in her position, she speculates, they would have made the same decisions she did.

“Those people nowadays who say they would have stood up against the Nazis – I believe they are sincere in meaning that, but believe me, most of them wouldn’t have,” she says, adding that "the whole country was as if under a kind of a spell".

Ms Pomsel spent five years in Soviet prison camps after the war, an experience she says was "no bed of roses".

She insists that it was only after her release that she became aware of the Holocaust.

Six decades later she enquired about a Jewish friend she had lost track of during the war.

Ms Pomsel found the name of the friend, Eva Löwenthal, on a list of millions killed during a mass atrocity the man she worked for had done his best to cover up.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I can believe that. The propaganda Ministry itself would likely have been separated internally depending on subject matter, and levelled within each separation depending on the sensitivity of the information with only the most trusted higher ranking members knowing the ugliest facts.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I can believe that. The propaganda Ministry itself would likely have been separated internally depending on subject matter, and levelled within each separation depending on the sensitivity of the information with only the most trusted higher ranking members knowing the ugliest facts.

At least she didn't come out with the usual excuse: "I was only following orders!"

Except for black and white.....it looks like pictures ISIS might take....

HITLER & ISLAM | Adolf Hitler, Islam & Muslim Nazi Troops (Photos)

ISIS are like the new Nazis, but don't have quite the same firepower and don't leave Europe's cities in ruins.

But they are very similar ideologies.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Except for black and white.....it looks like pictures ISIS might take....

HITLER & ISLAM | Adolf Hitler, Islam & Muslim Nazi Troops (Photos)
AS MANY AS 150000 JEWS SERVED IN HITLERS MILITARY
As Many As 150000 Jews Served In Hitlers Military

Jew "George Soros Says He Feels No Remorse For Collaborating With Nazis During WWII to Send His Fellow Jews to the Death Camps, Steal Their Property"
George Soros Says He Feels No Remorse For Collaborating With Nazis During WWII to Send His Fellow Jews to the Death Camps, Steal Their Property

Anger at Netanyahu claim Palestinian grand mufti inspired Holocaust
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-for-palestinian-grand-mufti-holocaust-claim

you make a very gobblish point there my friend

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
right click then source...(with Firefox)
Rows_of_bodies_of_dead_inmates_fill_the_yard_of_Lager_Nordhausen,_a_Gestapo_concentration_camp.jpg

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Now that's progess. If what you say is true that welcoming in such a short time, give it another year and he'll be a world federalist.

..as long as none of those foreigners beyond Calais speak English, don't eat that mook and don't stink of garlic.

That has to be true. Goebbels and Himmler were both uber NAZIs but they had very different jobs in the Reich. You can be sure that neither one would have talked openly about their dirty secrets in front of the help ... if at all, ever.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
It is possible. Remember the German lady who after the war, painted 'murderer' on her house. She had had no idea her husband was a Nazi.