Italy's plan to legalize weed could help fight ISIS and the Mob

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Italy is about to begin a national debate about legalizing marijuana, and one senior official is promising that, should the country forge ahead in regulating and taxing pot, it could be a blow to the Islamic State and the mafia at the same time.

Legislation will be introduced in the Italian parliament next week to remove criminal prohibitions on marijuana, let Italians grow up to five plants at home, and buy cannabis from a state-run monopoly.

If that bill passes, the smuggling route from the northern tip of Africa could be disrupted, according to Franco Roberti, the country's top prosecutor in charge of fighting both the mafia and terrorism.

"Decriminalization or even legalization would definitely be a weapon against traffickers, among whom there could be terrorists who make money off of it," Roberti told Reuters in April.

Roberti says this is because the mafia and "suspected terrorists" share smuggling routes in North Africa, and collaborate to move product into Italy and then throughout Europe.

Sirte, a city in Libya along that route, has been under IS' control since February 2015, though anti-IS rebels are now attempting to regain control of the group's last stronghold in the country.

In some cases, namely drug trafficking and gun running, the two factions end up working together, leading to increased profits for both.

IS uses its cash to purchase arms, pay soldiers' salary, and fund propaganda to lure potential recruits to join the cause, so Roberti believes the group's ability to retain territory in Libya can be partly attributed to the funds acquired through collaboration with organized crime in Italy.

Estimates on the size of the Italian black market for marijuana are hard to pin down, but estimated guesses from both law enforcement and private groups put the figure into the tens of billions of dollars per year. For a country struggling with a debt load that is 33 percent larger than its GDP, that tax revenue could be hugely significant.

https://news.vice.com/article/italy...ld-help-fight-the-islamic-state-and-the-mafia

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
and I would not feel so all alone, evabody must get stoned.

What better way to control the masses than to have the half asleep brain dead stoners looped most of the time.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Legalize all the dope and nothing but positive things happen. All those drug peddling pimp types will be less a burden society as their worthless carcases won't be in jail being supported by the state. Violent crime will be reduced significantly because they'll be no penalty for growing, harvesting and transporting the shyt to all the drooling consumers. All those rehab joints that are mostly state funded can be shut down as the mongoloids can now just hang out at the parks with the other mongo's smoking the dope ALL day long. There ain't one negative thing by legalizing the dope. Evabody just get high and fook evathang else gonna be ahight.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Uh huh. And illegal moonshine is more popular than ever because why?
and,,,,thank you for reminding me of another positive. Now with dope being legal, instead of our tax dollars having to support the mongoloid communities, the mongo's will be building a tax base as the dope will be taxed. This way, the mongo's will be productive members of society and all they need do is spend the welfare check on the dope, building the tax base, and lay up at the park looking at the stars.

You cain't beat it make the dope legal evabody be happy

And now to quote the famous Right Wing bible banging conservative country sanger Charlie Daniels people say I'm no good and crazy as a loon, cause I get stoned in the mornin, get drunk in the afternoon. kinda like my ole blue tick hound I like to lay around in the shade, and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it made.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
What do Mongolians have to with this? It's too cold there to grow dope.
no offence to the Mongolian peoples with a capital M. Obviously you have not watched blazing saddles but if you wish to percieve my choice of words as racist or bigoted have at it. I ain't caring what you think sir.

all we need is more dope, and more dopers. Gonna be ahight

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Italian government might be the first entity in history to lose money while selling dope.

... all of those Italian accountants ...