European leaders furious at Boris Johnson's appointment as Foreign Secretary

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
She may have been a Remain campaigner during the referendum, albeit reluctantly, but Britain's new Prime Minister Theresa May has just given one mighty Brexit "F*ck you!" to the Europeans and, to a lesser extent, the Americans, by appointing lead Leave campaigner Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary....

'I wish it was a joke': European leaders furious at Boris Johnson's appointment as Foreign Secretary

Boris Johnson addresses Foreign Office staff on the first day in his new job Credit: PA

Matthew Holehouse, Brussels Correspondent
14 July 2016
The Telegraph

European leaders have responded with dismay and fury at the appointment of Boris Johnson, the former Mayor of London, to Foreign Secretary.

His French counterpart denounced him as a “liar”, while his German interlocutor said it was “outrageous” that he played cricket on the day after the Brexit referendum.

Jean-Marc Ayrault, the French foreign minister, said he was concerned that he would be able to negotiate with Mr Johnson.

"I am not at all worried about Boris Johnson, but during the campaign he lied a lot to the British people and now it is he who has his back against the wall," he said.

"(He has) his back against the wall to defend his country but also with his back against the wall the relationship with Europe should be clear," Mr Ayrault said.

"I need a partner with whom I can negotiate and who is clear, credible and reliable," he added.

"We cannot let this ambiguous, blurred situation drag on in the interests of the British themselves."

The German foreign minister expressed pity for British voters.

Boris Johnson leaves home for his first day at work as Foreign Secretary Credit: Getty Images

"People [in the UK] are experiencing a rude awakening after irresponsible politicians first lured the country into a Brexit to then, once the decision was made, bolt and not take responsibility," Frank-Walter Steinmeier said during a speech at Greifswald University.

"Instead they went to play cricket. To be honest, I find this outrageous but it's not just bitter for Great Britain. It's also bitter for the European Union."

Carl Bildt, the former Prime Minister of Sweden, tweeted a now-notorious picture of Mr Johnson dangling on the Olympic zip wire.

View image on Twitter

Follow

Carl Bildt ✔
@carlbildt

I wish it was a joke, but I fear it isn't. Exit upon exit.

8:03 PM - 13 Jul 2016

2,330 Retweets 1,720 Likes

Mr Johnson caused grave offence in Brussels and Washington during the referendum campaign when he said that the EU was an attempt by other means to unify Europe in a manner attempted by Adolf Hitler.

He also described President Obama as “the part-Kenyan President” who harboured “ancestral dislike of the British empire.”

In a lengthy Facebook post hours before Mr Johnson’s appointment, Frans Timmermans, the European Commission’s vice president, said such comments had spread “hatred” in a way he would not have believed possible in Britain.

“Would it not have been enough to say that you disagree with the American President's point of view? Why discredit not just his motives, but even his persona, with borderline racist remarks?” he said.

Frans Timmermans

20 hours ago

“When in Rome...” learning (to understand the) English

In March 1972 fate decreed that I should go to an English school. Not by choice, but by necessity. The French school in Rome did not accept new pupils, so my father, whose work brought us here, decided it would be Saint George's English School instead. I did not speak English, but I did understand a bit - thanks to the Beatles, the Avengers and the Thunderbirds. Being Dutch, my parents assumed that the only difference between us and the English was that they drove on the wrong side of the road, had the peculiar habit of refusing any form of decimal system and were so much better at being unf...
See more

441 Likes
282 Retweets

John Kerry, the US Secretary of State, spoke to Mr Johnson by phone today and urged Britain to be “sensible”.

"The Secretary stressed US support for a sensible and measured approach to the Brexit process and offered to stay engaged as the UK government develops its plans," a spokesman said.

Mr Johnson will come face to face with Mr Kerry and his European counterparts at a meeting of the Foreign Affairs Council in Brussels on Monday.

'I wish it was a joke': European leaders furious at Boris Johnson's appointment as Foreign Secretary

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
"I am not at all worried about Boris Johnson, but during the campaign he lied a lot to the British people and now it is he who has his back against the wall," he said.
Riiight, while the Eurotards and British Remainers played it straight up and honest? Let's see, the EU jerks and the remainers engaged in a steady stream of scare-mongering, threats, and even attempted to extort them into staying.

Goof boy may wish Johnson being appointed is a joke, but the real joke is that farce called the European Union.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The United States should refuse to speak with Mr. Johnson, given his record of public and deliberate insults to the United States and many of its top officials, including the Head of State.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The United States should refuse to speak with Mr. Johnson, given his record of public and deliberate insults to the United States and many of its top officials, including the Head of State.

I think you'll find Mr Johnson's attacks on Obummer came in response to Obummer insulting Britain during the referendum campaign, with the "back of the queue" jibes etc.

As for Obummer, he's a lame duck and is out of office soon and I'm sure the new president - the Brexit-supporting Trump - will gladly engage with Mr Johnson.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
That's because your head of state is a f*cking idiot who insulted Britain in his very first days in office by returning the bust of Churchill that was a gift to the Whitehouse after WW2.
He then further insulted them more recently by suggesting that America came to their rescue during WW2.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Riiight, while the Eurotards and British Remainers played it straight up and honest? Let's see, the EU jerks and the remainers engaged in a steady stream of scare-mongering, threats, and even attempted to extort them into staying.

Goof boy may wish Johnson being appointed is a joke, but the real joke is that farce called the European Union.

I don't know why the Remainers keep banging on about "Leave lies". Not only were they not completely truthful themselves, but lying is par for the course during any election campaign, whether it's referendums or general elections.

The Remainers are only attacking Boris Johnson now because they are worried he will be a formidable proposition in any Brexit negotiations he may have to take part in.

Perhaps predictably, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, the Secretary of State for Leaving the European Union David Davis, and the Secretary of State for International Trade Liam Fox (the latter brand new positions created by May as a result of Brexit, which she has filled with Leavers) have already been dubbed "The Three Brexiteers" by the press.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's because your head of state is a f*cking idiot who insulted Britain in his very first days in office by returning the bust of Churchill that was a gift to the Whitehouse after WW2.
He then further insulted them more recently by suggesting that America came to their rescue during WW2.
Considering how frequently, and how thoroughly, that story has been debunked:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/07/27/fact-check-bust-winston-churchill

one has to ask the question: At what point does one cross over from being a lackwitted Canadian blowhard gullibly repeating whatever crap happens to suit his prejudices to being an active liar?

I think you'll find Mr Johnson's attacks on Obummer came in response to Obummer insulting Britain during the referendum campaign, with the "back of the queue" jibes etc.

As for Obummer, he's a lame duck and is out of office soon and I'm sure the new president - the Brexit-supporting Trump - will gladly engage with Mr Johnson.
Mr. Johnson's attacks were personal insults to a Head of State. Roughly the equivalent of calling Her Majesty a "retarded German wh*re."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Considering how frequently, and how thoroughly, that story has been debunked:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/07/27/fact-check-bust-winston-churchill

one has to ask the question: At what point does one cross over from being a lackwitted Canadian blowhard gullibly repeating whatever crap happens to suit his prejudices to being an active liar?

Mr. Johnson's attacks were personal insults to a Head of State. Roughly the equivalent of calling Her Majesty a "retarded German wh*re."

Heads of State get attacked, professionally and personally. It's what happens. Elizabeth II has had to put up with it since before Obama was even born.

And Johnson's attacks on Obama were in retaliation to the comments Obama made during his referendum intervention.

By the way, May's appointment of Johnson as Foreign Secretary really is a kick in the teeth for the Remainers, who had gleefully thought that the great Leave campaigner was finished since he stepped down in his bid to be Tory leader and PM after he won the referendum. Their furious comments on social media and elsewhere on the internet really is a joy to behold.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Heads of State get attacked, professionally and personally. It's what happens. Elizabeth II has had to put up with it since before Obama was even born.
What foreign ministers have personally insulted Her Majesty? Be specific, please. I'm not interested in your lies.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What foreign ministers have personally insulted Her Majesty? Be specific, please. I'm not interested in your lies.

I've got no idea.

But Obama deserved his criticism from Boris thanks to his threatening "back of the queue" comments aimed at British voters.

Like Cameron, Obama will, for centuries and decades to come, be remembered as the man who practically begged the British people not to vote for Brexit and engaged in scaremongering tactics to ensure the British voters did as they were told, but failed miserably because the British people didn't want to do what Obama was telling them to do.

One of Obama's biggest White House legacies will be campaigning against Brexit and achieving Brexit.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The BANKERS are furious and frightened. I believe they sense thier end rapidly approaching. Diving from windows and balconies should pick up over the next couple of months.What a big mess this world war will be!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Bank of England, led by that Canadian Remain scaremonger-in-chief Mark Carney, has today kept UK interest rates at their historic low of 0.5%.

Yet we were told during the referendum campaign by the Remainers' "economic experts", including Carney himself, that Brexit will mean a rise in interest rates.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I like the way the EU leaders seem to think they know what the people of the UK want more so than the people running the UK. A perfect example of why the exit vote was the right one.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've got no idea.
So you deliberately make statements of fact with no idea whether they're true or not.

That's close enough to "liar" for me.

But Obama deserved his criticism from Boris thanks to his threatening "back of the queue" comments aimed at British voters.
Criticizing the U.S. President is fine. Directing personal insults is not.

Like Cameron, Obama will, for centuries and decades to come, be remembered as the man who practically begged the British people not to vote for Brexit and engaged in scaremongering tactics to ensure the British voters did as they were told, but failed miserably because the British people didn't want to do what Obama was telling them to do.

One of Obama's biggest White House legacies will be campaigning against Brexit and achieving Brexit.
You persist in fantasizing that Americans give two hoots for your little island.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And it's been announced that May has abolished the useless post of Climate Change Secretary.

I'm starting to like this new PM. She has constructed a very right-wing, Brexitty Cabinet.

Criticizing the U.S. President is fine. Directing personal insults is not.

Course it is. In a democracy like Britain you're free to make personal insults against any world leader.

You persist in fantasizing that Americans give two hoots for your little island.

Well the American government was, for America's interests, not Britain's, desperate for Britain to stay in the EU.

And the largest of Britain's many islands isn't little. It's big. It's a big island.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well the American government was, for America's interests, not Britain's, desperate for Britain to stay in the EU.
You seem to think the American government should not look out for America's interests.

Which gives the good folk here a pretty good idea of how detached from reality you are.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

At best history books on Obama's presidency will give it one sentence.

"And then Obama went to London, then part of the United Kingdom - a former agglomeration of modern day Scotland, Wales, Derpshire and London - and said some things."

History books about Brexit might give him two or three sentences.

"Then the second last US president Barold O'Bumblebee arrived in London on his metal flying bird. He had to wait in a queue to meet then crown prince Boris of Johnson, who treated him to a traditional English Brexit."

And the largest of Britain's many islands isn't little. It's big. It's a big island.

This is everything Blackleaf has ever posted here in it's most distilled form.

And ghosts.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You seem to think the American government should not look out for America's interests.

Which gives the good folk here a pretty good idea of how detached from reality you are.

I bet most Americans wouldn't like if if Theresa May turned up in Washington next week and said that America should join the EU as soon as possible became it's in Britain's interests.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I bet most Americans wouldn't like if if Theresa May turned up in Washington next and said that America should join the EU as soon as possible became it's in Britain's interests for it to do so.
The vast majority of Americans would never hear of it. Of those who did, only the chronic whiners would expect Maggie May to do anything but promote Britain's best interests.

After we got over the belly pain from laughing, that is.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The vast majority of Americans would never hear of it. Of those who did, only the chronic whiners would expect Maggie May to do anything but promote Britain's best interests.

After we got over the belly pain from laughing, that is.

Most Americans would hate it if they were having a referendum on whether or not America should join the utter disaster that is the EU and May suddenly appeared on their TV screens telling then that (in Britain's interests, not America's) America should join that disastrous organisation and if it didn't Britain would would make life uncomfortable for America as retaliation for American voters defying May.