2.6 million word Chilcot report into Iraq War is published

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Tony Blair's reputation was today lacerated by the Iraq War report as it revealed he told George W Bush they should 'act now, explain later' in a secret memo sent two years before the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

The former prime minister was also accused of twisting intelligence about the threat posed by Saddam Hussein to justify the war that led to the deaths of 179 British soldiers and left hundreds of thousands of Iraqis dead - but Mr Blair still insists he never lied.

After seven years of deliberations, the Chilcot report found that the former prime minister overplayed evidence about the dictator's weaponry and ignored peaceful means to send troops into the country.

In a devastating set of conclusions, Sir John found Blair presented the case for war with 'a certainty which was not justified' based on 'flawed' intelligence about Iraq's supposed weapons of mass destruction (WMD).

It also said Blair had 'overestimated' his ability to influence US president George W Bush and the way the legal basis was established was branded 'far from satisfactory' and bypassed the UN and undermined the international system.

And Blair was not prepared for the consequences of Iraq War despite 'explicit warnings' as he doggedly pursued an invasion, Sir John's report said.

'Act now, explain later': What Blair told Bush TWO YEARS before Iraq war is revealed in eviscerating Chilcot report into Gulf debacle

Chilcot report 2003 Iraq War heavily criticises Tony Blair over the way he took Britain into the war alongside the US Report found that invasion was based on 'flawed' intelligence about Iraq and was 'not the last resort' at the time
Email sent by Blair to George W Bush hours after September 11 advised him to 'act now and justify later'

Blair as not prepared for the consequences of Iraq War despite 'explicit warnings' and bypassed peace for war

Ex-PM maintains he did not lie and said today her
still believed 'it was better to remove Saddam Hussein'
Families of 179 war dead call him 'the world's worst terrorist' and promised to pursue him through the courts

Mr Blair will be very unlikely to face war crime trial in The Hague - but British soldiers could still be prosecuted

By James Tapsfield, Political Editor and Martin Robinson Uk Chief Reporter and Tim Sculthorpe, Deputy Political Editor and Richard Spillett for MailOnline
6 July 2016

Tony Blair's reputation was today lacerated by the Iraq War report as it revealed he told George W Bush they should 'act now, explain later' in a secret memo sent two years before the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

The former prime minister was also accused of twisting intelligence about the threat posed by Saddam Hussein to justify the war that led to the deaths of 179 British soldiers and left hundreds of thousands of Iraqis dead - but Mr Blair still insists he never lied.

After seven years of deliberations, the Chilcot report found that the former prime minister overplayed evidence about the dictator's weaponry and ignored peaceful means to send troops into the country.

In a devastating set of conclusions, Sir John found Blair presented the case for war with 'a certainty which was not justified' based on 'flawed' intelligence about Iraq's supposed weapons of mass destruction (WMD).

It also said Blair had 'overestimated' his ability to influence US president George W Bush and the way the legal basis was established was branded 'far from satisfactory' and bypassed the UN and undermined the international system.

And Blair was not prepared for the consequences of Iraq War despite 'explicit warnings' as he doggedly pursued an invasion, Sir John's report said.

29 secret letters Mr Blair wrote to George W Bush were published for the first time today and in July 2002, eight months before MPs voted to back an invasion, Mr Blair had told the president: 'I will be with you, whatever'.

But after Sir John published his report today Tony Blair said the inquiry proved there 'was no falsification or improper use of Intelligence', 'no deception of Cabinet' and 'no secret commitment to war whether at Crawford Texas in April 2002 or elsewhere'.

Families of the 179 servicemen and women who died in the Iraq War said today they are set to pursue him through the courts and called Mr Blair 'the world's worst terrorist' and slammed him for not 'looking us in the eye' as the report was released.

A grim-faced Tony Blair leaves his London mansion before his part in bringing about the Iraq War was laid bare by Sir John Chilcot today

Judgement day: Sir John Chilcot delivers his speech this morning at the QEII Centre in Westminster on the day his 2.6 million word report is published. Tony Blair, bottom, was heavily criticised over his planning of the war but he still denies he lied

Unveiling his 2.6 million-word report into the UK's most controversial military engagement since the end of the Second World War, Sir John said: 'We have concluded that the UK chose to join the invasion of Iraq before the peaceful options for disarmament had been exhausted. Military action at that time was not a last resort.

'We have also concluded that the judgments about the severity of the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction - WMD - were presented with a certainty that was not justified.

'Despite explicit warnings, the consequences of the invasion were under-estimated. The planning and preparations for Iraq after Saddam Hussein were wholly inadequate. The Government failed to achieve its stated objectives.'

Among the main conclusions in the 2.6 million word report are:

There was no imminent threat from Saddam Hussein in March 2003 and Mr Blair took us to war 'before the peaceful options for disarmament had been exhausted'. Sir John said: 'Military action at that time was not a last resort.

Mr Blair, his then foreign secretary Jack Straw and the government presented judgements about intelligence on the threat posed by Iraq's WMD with a 'certainty that was not justified'.

Attorney General Lord Goldsmith only agreed that the invasion would be legal based on assurances from Mr Blair that Iraq had committed 'material breaches' of UN resolution 1441. But the inquiry said it was 'unclear' what evidence Mr Blair had for this and branded the process 'far from satisfactory'.

Mr Blair, who has been frequently criticised for his 'sofa government' style, repeatedly failed to involve his whole Cabinet in key decisions.

The inquiry dismissed the ex-PM claims that he could not have known how difficult the post-invasion situation would be.

The government were aware that the US had 'inadequate' plans for stabilising Iraq but had little influence over key decisions such as dismantling Hussein's Ba'ath party and security services.

The Ministry of Defence was slow to respond to the threat from Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), and delays in providing more heavily armoured patrol vehicles for personnel were 'intolerable'.

The 'most consistent strategic objective' in Iraq was to reduce the number of troops it had deployed there, particularly after operations in Afghanistan became more intense.

One symptom of the failures was that UK forces had to strike a 'humiliating' deal with militia in Basra to swap prisoners in return for an end to deadly attacks on soldiers.

Tony Blair has said that his decision to take military action against Saddam Hussain was taken 'in good faith and in what I believed to be the best interests of the country'.

Sir John said Mr Blair was wrong to claim that the risks of instability following the invasion could not have been known in advance.

Although he made no judgment on whether military action was legal, Sir John's seven-year inquiry found that Attorney General Lord Goldsmith's decision that there was a legal basis for UK involvement in the US-led invasion was taken in a way which was 'far from satisfactory'.

Previously unseen letters sent from Mr Blair to Mr Bush also show that nearly two years before the invasion the PM was suggesting they needed to 'act now and explain and justify later' to stop the spread of WMD.

Delivering the report's damning findings – which will inevitably spark renewed calls for action against Mr Blair - Sir John Chilcot said: 'The evidence is there for all to see. It is an account of an intervention which went badly wrong, with consequences to this day.'

Announcing the dramatic conclusions today, Sir John said: 'More than 200 British citizens dies as a result of the conflict in Iraq. Many more were injured. This has meant deep anguish for many families, including those who are here today.

'The invasion and instability in Iraq had, by July 2009, also resulted in the deaths of at least 150,000 Iraqis – and probably many more – most of them civilians. More than a million people were displaced.'

Fighting back Tony Blair said that his decision to take military action against Saddam Hussain was taken 'in good faith and in what I believed to be the best interests of the country'.

He also insisted it was still 'better to remove Saddam Hussein' than allow the tyrant to continue in power, adding the inquiry proved there 'was no falsification or improper use of Intelligence', 'no deception of Cabinet' and 'no secret commitment to war whether at Crawford Texas in April 2002 or elsewhere'.

Families wanted to know if Tony Blair did secretly agree to invade Iraq in 2002 (pictured together at Camp David that year) and then build a case towards war

Anger: Protestors unfurled a giant banner outside Tony Blair's central London home today calling for him to face a criminal trial

The inquiry examined the so-called notorious dossier published by the government on September 24, 2002, as Mr Blair started to lay the ground for a potential move on Iraq.

It claimed that Hussein's regime had the ability to launch a WMD strike within 45 minutes.

Mr Blair told the House of Commons the same day that the threat from the dictator was severe and would become a reality at some point in the future.

But Sir John said: 'The judgements about Iraq's capabilities in that statement, and in the dossier published the same day, were presented with a certainty that was not justified.'

The report criticised the 'ingrained belief' among UK policy formers and intelligence services that Iraq had retained WMD.

It said the Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC) had agreed the content of the dossier itself, and there was 'no evidence' that evidence was improperly included or that Downing Street influenced the text.

But the JIC was rebuked for not ensuring that its real assessment – that it had not been established beyond doubt that Hussein's regime was still producing WMD – was not clear.

And the report said the way a foreword written by Mr Blair had been attached to the dossier would have given MPs and the public a different impression.

'In the foreword, Mr Blair stated that he believed the 'assessed intelligence' had 'established beyond doubt' that Saddam Hussein had 'continued to produce chemical and biological weapons, that he continues in his efforts to develop nuclear weapons and that he had been able to extend the range of his ballistic missile programme'.'

Protests: Several demonstrators were wearing Tony Blair masks and painted blood on their hands as they called for Mr Blair to be prosecuted

Movement: More than a million people marched in 2003 to protest against the war and many returned to central London today (above) to repeat their concerns about what happened

Uproar: Protesters have returned to Whitehall to protest over the war afresh today after the report slammed the way it was planned

Under pressure: Mr Blair, pictured with troops in Iraq in 2003, has been accused of 'misleading Parliament and the public' in taking the UK into the Iraq War and is facing calls for criminal action

The report went on: 'The Inquiry is not questioning Mr Blair's belief, which he consistently reiterated in his evidence to the Inquiry, or his legitimate role in advocating Government policy.

'But the deliberate selection of a formulation which grounded the statement in what Mr Blair believed rather than in the judgements which the JIC had actually reached in its assessment of the intelligence, indicates a distinction between his beliefs and the JIC's actual judgements…

'The assessed intelligence at the time had not established beyond doubt that Saddam Hussein had continued to produce chemical and biological weapons.'

While stressing that it did not have a remit to decide whether the invasion had been legal, the inquiry panel said they had 'concluded that the circumstances in which it was decided that there was a legal basis for UK military action were far from satisfactory'.

In mid-January 2003 Lord Goldsmith, the government's chief law officer, told Mr Blair that a further Security Council resolution would be needed to provide a legal basis for action.

By the end of February the peer had told Mr Blair that although a second resolution would be preferable, a 'reasonable case' could be made under the existing UNSC 1441.

He put that advice in writing in on March 7.

However, after the military and civil service asked for more clarity he then stated that the 'better view' was that the legal basis was secure.

Peter Brierley, top, whose son Lance Corporal Shaun Brierley was one of the first soldiers to be killed in the conflict, claimed Mr Blair 'ordered young men and women to be killed on the basis of a lie'

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This was all obvious before the war started.

No, it wasn't. He managed to deceive parliament into backing the war.

I believed at the time that it was right to go into Iraq and remove Saddam. I still do. I just think the war should have been handled better.

Chilcot Report Live

Chilcot report: Tony Blair takes 'full responsibility' for Iraq war and expresses his 'sorrow and regret' - but says he would do it again

With his voice breaking, Tony Blair today expressed his "sorrow and regret" over the Iraq war and accepts "full responsibility without exception and without cause" but admitted he would do it again because it was "the right thing to do".

Following the unveiling of the 2.6 million-word Chilcot report into the UK's most controversial military engagement since the end of the Second World War, Tony Blair said he expresses "more regret, sorrow and apology than you can ever know or can believe".

The long-awaited official report into Britain's involvement in the Iraq war has delivered a scathing verdict on Government ministers' justification, planning and conduct of a military intervention which "went badly wrong, with consequences to this day".

Mr Blair presented the case for war in 2003 with "a certainty which was not justified" based on "flawed" intelligence about the country's supposed weapons of mass destruction (WMD) which was not challenged as it should have been, found report author Sir John Chilcot.

Blair: War was 'last moment of decision' for UK to join US action

Mr Blair said that while the report found that in March 2003 war was "not the last resort", it was the "last moment of decision" for the UK if it was to join the US-led military action.

"I had to decide. I thought of Saddam and his record, the character of his regime. I thought of our alliance with America and its importance to us in the post 9/11 world and I weighed it carefully with the heaviest of hearts," he said.

"As of March 17 2003 there was no middle way, no further time for deliberation, no room for more negotiation. A decision had to be taken and it was for me to take as prime minister.

"I took it, I accept full responsibility for it, I stand by it. I only ask with humility that the British people accept that I took this decision because I believed that it was the right thing to do based on the information that I had and the threat I perceived and that my duty as prime minister at that moment in time was to do what I thought was right.

"At moments of crisis such as this it is the profound obligation of the person leading the government of our country to take responsibility and decide. Not to hide behind politics, expediency or even emotion but to recognise that it is the privilege above all others to lead this nation.

"But the accompaniment of that privilege when the interests of our nation are so supremely and plainly at stake is to lead and not to shy away, to decide and not to avoid decision, to discharge that responsibility and not to duck it."

Karl Rove: I haven't read the report

Harriet Alexander in New York has spoken to Karl Rove, the Hawkish senior adviser to George W Bush who was one of the most vocal champions of the 2003 war.

He says he hasn't read the report - as he's on holiday in Europe, and about to buy his tickets to go in and see Da Vinci's The Last Supper.

For more live updates: Chilcot report: Tony Blair takes 'full responsibility' for Iraq war and expresses his 'sorrow and regret' - but says he would do it again

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Chilcot report has not called Blair a war criminal.

I also don't see why the anti-Iraq War lot are all focusing their anger on Blair. There were other people involved who would have provided Blair with intelligence and the like, such as the then Foreign Sectretary Jack Straw, yet people ignore all the others involved and just direct that anger at Blair.

And I also reckon that had there been no war in Iraq many of those now complaining about the war would instead have complained that we weren't taking any action against Saddam.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This was all obvious before the war started.

That's the way that I remember it. We're not hearing anything now that most Canadians, anyway, didn't figure out.

I remember it being discussed widely. Support for Canadians joining the coalition peaked at about a third of us (briefly) but I remember the reason. Canadians felt that since our two biggest, closest allies had asked for our help, we should join. This is how we usually go to war here ... to assist others. I xpecifically remember that the majority of us didn't buy the bull****, though.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Tony Blair says world is better as a result of Iraq War

BBC News
7 July 2016

Blair, Prime Minister between 1997 and 2007, during his two-hour response to the Chilcot report yesterday

Tony Blair says the world would be "in a worse position" had he not taken the decision to invade Iraq.

The former PM said despite the "terrible consequences", removing Saddam Hussein "moved with the grain" of what was to come in the region.

He also said it would be "far better" for him to have challenged the intelligence reports he received.

The official inquiry into the 2003 war made a number of criticisms of Mr Blair's government.

Sir John Chilcot's report, published on Wednesday, said it overstated the threat posed by Saddam Hussein, sent ill-prepared troops into battle and had "wholly inadequate" plans for the aftermath.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Blair defended his pledge in a 2001 memo to then US president George Bush that he was "with you, whatever".

He had not "made some irrevocable decision to go to war" he said.

"We were giving the United States a very clear commitment that we would be alongside them in dealing with this issue."

The report gave a damning assessment of the UK's intelligence in the run-up to the invasion.

Mr Blair said he relied on these reports, but acknowledged: "It would have been far better to have challenged them more clearly."

He added: "It wasn't that I wanted to believe it. I did believe it and one of the reasons for that was because Saddam Hussein had used these weapons against his own people."

The former prime minister said he understood "all the criticisms" of the invasion, but said: "When I look at it today I think still that we moved with where the grain of the future is going to be in these countries and this region."

The way decisions were made by the government have been criticised

He added: "I can regret the mistakes and I can regret many things about it but I genuinely believe, not just that we acted out of good motives, and I did what I did out of good faith, but I sincerely believe that we would be in a worse position if we hadn't acted that way. I may be completely wrong about that."

Following the publication of Sir John's report, Mr Blair held a two-hour press conference in which he apologised to the families of those killed in the Iraq War, accepting that they will never "forget or forgive him".

He said he felt sorrow and regret beyond what "people may ever know" at the loss of life.

Shadow health secretary Diane Abbott told Today Mr Blair had "destroyed his own reputation".

She said his Labour government had done some "amazing things", but "their reputation has bled to death in the sands of Iraq".

A spokesman for some of the families of the 179 British service personnel and civilians killed in Iraq between 2003 and 2009 said their loved ones had died "unnecessarily and without just cause and purpose".

The spokesman said all options were being considered, including asking those responsible for the failures identified in the report to "answer for their actions in the courts if such process is found to be viable".

Prime Minister David Cameron, who voted for war in 2003, told MPs it was important to "really learn the lessons for the future" and to improve the workings of government and how it treats legal advice.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn - who voted against military action - apologised on behalf of the party.

He said the report proved the Iraq War had been an "act of military aggression launched on a false pretext", something he said which has "long been regarded as illegal by the overwhelming weight of international opinion".

Tony Blair says world is better as a result of Iraq War - BBC News

There was no smoking gun in the Chilcot Report because Tony Blair did not lie about war in Iraq

John McTernan
6 July 2016
The Telegraph

An honest man

There was no smoking gun after all. There is nothing we did not anticipate in the 2.6 million words of the Chilcot Report. All that is left is insinuation and distortion.

The phrase which has already been seized on is Tony Blair's statement in a July 2002 memo to President George W Bush that “I will be with you, whatever”. This, comes the accusation, was eight months before there was a vote in the Commons on the Iraq War: a secret commitment to war, say the critics.

But anyone drawn to the conspiracy theories should remember the context. This memo was sent only ten months after 9/11. That was a shattering event - not just in the US but across the world. Blair had been swift to express absolute solidarity with the American people - and he had always seen that as the best way to influence and, where necessary, to moderate US actions. The phrase should be seen in the context of Britain standing by its closest ally after the worst day in its recent history.

Those words come from a memo that shows the strategic analysis at which Blair was an unsurpassed expert as Prime Minister. He talks about the role of the UN, the necessity for moving forward the Middle East Peace Process, planning for a post-Saddam era, the role of public opinion, the need for support from other countries in the region.

This was a wide ranging memo, the work of a man properly weighing the military options - they had to be properly planned for any UN ultimatum to be credible. And it reveals his genuine concerns about Saddam using chemical weapons against UK and US troops.

On such weapons, Chilcot is clear - Blair did not exaggerate the intelligence or mislead Parliament in reporting it to them. The problem, Chilcot says, was with the certainty and emphasis that the Joint Intelligence Comittee (JIC) gave to what was revealed to be "patchy' intelligence".

Chilcot suggests Blair should have questioned the JIC more. One can only imagine how that would have played out, the Prime Minister interrogating and then rejecting their reports of a potentially lethal threat. “PM spurns spooks” would be the least of it.

On the legal advice, Chilcot tried in his statement to muddy the waters with criticism not of the advice itself but of the way it was given. But he could not cast doubt on the fact that the Attorney General gave clear advice that the Iraq War was lawful.

This, though, is the rub. One felt throughout Sir John Chilcot's statement a strong expression of belief rather than facts - and all enquiries stand or fall on the facts they unearth.

This was particularly so when it came to the ultimate decision to go to war. Chilcot accused Blair of undermining the United Nations, saying: 'We consider that the UK was, in fact, undermining the Security Council’s authority.' That is a judgement, not a fact. And judgements are what we ask of our leaders, and what we got from Tony Blair on Iraq.

John McTernan was Tony Blair’s political secretary 2005 – 2007 then an adviser in the Ministry of Defence

There was no smoking gun in the Chilcot Report because Tony Blair did not lie about war in Iraq

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
To those of us who are unfortunately outnumbered by the same idiots who could elect Donald Trump.

Hillary was not smart enough to put the pieces together and voted in favour of the invasion.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Chilcot report has not called Blair a war criminal.

I also don't see why the anti-Iraq War lot are all focusing their anger on Blair. There were other people involved who would have provided Blair with intelligence and the like, such as the then Foreign Sectretary Jack Straw, yet people ignore all the others involved and just direct that anger at Blair.

And I also reckon that had there been no war in Iraq many of those now complaining about the war would instead have complained that we weren't taking any action against Saddam.

The Downing Memo explained it all. I listened to one of Blair's people who quit when he decided to go with Bush and invade. She quit because she knew it was BS but no one else was brave enough to support her.

Tony Blair argued that the invasion of Iraq was "the right decision" — but former cabinet minister Clare Short isn't convinced by her former boss's claims.

As It Happens: Wednesday Edition - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio

PS: Is it possible you could post stories without polluting you point with pictures as well? It adds nothing to the story, any story.......

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Downing Memo explained it all. I listened to one of Blair's people who quit when he decided to go with Bush and invade. She quit because she knew it was BS but no one else was brave enough to support her.

Tony Blair argued that the invasion of Iraq was "the right decision" — but former cabinet minister Clare Short isn't convinced by her former boss's claims.

As It Happens: Wednesday Edition - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio

Blair genuinely believed the invasion of Iraq was the right decision - and he still does.

[quotePS: Is it possible you could post stories without polluting you point with pictures as well?
[/QUOTE]

What for? News articles do tend to be accompanied by pictures.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Blair genuinely believed the invasion of Iraq was the right decision - and he still does.

[quotePS: Is it possible you could post stories without polluting you point with pictures as well?

What for? News articles do tend to be accompanied by pictures.[/QUOTE]

Blair is pretty impressed with himself and really likes the sound of his own voice.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
To those of us who are unfortunately outnumbered by the same idiots who could elect Donald Trump.

That's the scary part about democracy.

And that's why it's in the state's interest to provide quality public universal compulsory education. Many seem to forget, university is not free, not everyone goes to university, and so public schools must teach the essentials.

Worse yet, I'd read one article of a 'Brexiter' who knew Brexit was bad. He was unemployed, little government support to help him, so figured he'd spread the pain. Again, trades and professional education should start in public school, not in post-compulsory education.

When people vote out if anger, we're in a bad place.

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
This **** confirmed what most people already knew or suspected. Blair and Bush are terrorists.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Writing inThe Guardian about the Chilcot report on Tony Blair’s decision to be George W. Bush’s poodle in the invasion and occupation of Iraq,whistleblower Katherine Gun zeroes in on some questions that still remain for her:

Back in early 2003, Tony Blair was keen to secure UN backing for a resolution that would authorise the use of force against Iraq. I was a linguist and analyst at GCHQ when, on 31 Jan 2003, I, along with dozens of others in GCHQ, received an email from a senior official at the National Security Agency. It said the agency was “mounting a surge particularly directed at the UN security council (UNSC) members”, and that it wanted “the whole gamut of information that could give US policymakers an edge in obtaining results favourable to US goals or to head off surprises”.

In other words, the US planned to use intercepted communications of the security council delegates. [...]

I was furious when I read that email and leaked it. Soon afterwards, when the Observer ran a front-page story: “US dirty tricks to win vote on Iraq war”, I confessed to the leak and was arrested on suspicion of the breach of section 1 of the Official Secrets Act. I pleaded not guilty and, assisted by Liberty and Ben Emmerson QC, offered a defence of necessity – in other words, a breach of the law in order to prevent imminent loss of human life. This defence had not and, to my knowledge, has still not, been tested in a court of law. [...]
We know a lot more now than we knew before, but what about the email I leaked? Who did the NSA talk to in the UK to OK it? Did it talk to anyone? How did an NSA official feel bold enough to write to UK civil servants anticipating their cooperation in an attempt to undermine the UN’s diplomatic processes, in a secret effort to garner information to secure “results favourable to US goals”? How far did the surveillance operation proceed? Whose communications did they intercept and record? What, if anything did they discover and did they use any information they may have gathered?

Was this email sent to other organisation or agencies besides GCHQ?

It seems reasonable to ask why this crucial information was not included in the Chilcot inquiry.

Katherine Gun leaves Bow Street Magistrates Court on November 27, 2003, in London. Gun was arrested that March on charges of violating the U.K.'s Official Secrets Act. She was working for the Government Communications Headquarters, a security agency dealing with signals intelligence, and leaked an email from the National Security Agency that sought GCHQ to pass along intercepted messages from members of the U.N. Security Council in order to determine how they might vote regarding the Bush's administration's push for an invasion of Iraq.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Blair was taught well by the evil duo.......

Bush and Cheney were not misled by flawed intelligence; they used flawed intelligence to mislead.

Refusing to admit that invading and occupying Iraq was a mistake just may be the only thing that Cheney hasn't lied about