In Brexit vote, echoes of Trumpism minus Donald Trump

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
In Brexit vote, echoes of Trumpism minus Donald Trump

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - To U.S. voters who have witnessed the rise of Donald Trump, the campaign urging Britain to abandon the European Union may appear eerily familiar.

There’s the nationalism, the romanticized nostalgia for an earlier time, the mistrust of political and financial elites, and the fears that migrants are bringing crime and stealing jobs. Call it Trumpism minus Trump, the New York real estate developer who has emerged as the presumptive Republican presidential nominee in the 2016 U.S. elections.

If British citizens vote on Thursday in favor of exiting the European Union, it would allow Britain to negotiate its own trade deals and better control who enters the country, among other things. Both sides in the polarized debate have mounted extensive campaigns and polls show the vote could be close.

Trump, who will travel to Britain this week, supports the "Leave" camp, popularly known as Brexit. “I would personally be more inclined to leave, for a lot of reasons like having a lot less bureaucracy,” he told The Sunday Times.

He has spent much of his presidential campaign warning of the dangers posed by undocumented immigrants from Mexico and refugees from the Middle East and has proposed building a wall along the southern border of the United States. Syrian refugees have also been center stage in the Brexit debate, with pro-exit forces arguing that Britain must do more to curb the flow of economic migrants from the Middle East and elsewhere.

"I see similar themes on both sides of the Atlantic - a strong sense of threatened national identity, anti-globalization, nostalgia, and a sense that elites aren't accountable," said Wendy Rahn, a political science professor at the University of Minnesota who has studied Trump voters.

Trump's campaign and the Brexit movement are two of the starkest examples of a new strain of conservative populism that stretches beyond the United States and Britain, into Sweden, France, Poland and elsewhere in Europe.

momo

In Brexit vote, echoes of Trumpism minus Donald Trump | Top News | Reuters

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Just spoke to my friend in Germany and she is looking at moving back to Canada. Despite the fact she's well educated, she said "even if it means scrubbing toilets, I need to get my family out of here because it's not safe - ESPECIALLY for my daughter". She also said that the whole migrant situation in Germany is fueling the extreme right-wing party which, she said, won't solve anything - in fact it'll make things worse. But people are tired of the politicians not taking the situation there seriously; women and girls being harassed and sexually assaulted; gangs going around breaking and entering - simply taking what they want.

She said she was recently in her local grocery store and a guy had a basket full of food and refused to pay. The Cashier said he couldn't leave the store without paying and he said "talk to momma Merkle". The cashier called the store manager and he contacted City Hall - they told him to send the bill to them so now all these migrants are taking whatever they want without paying - a precedent has been set.

My friend said it's incredibly bad there and not very safe at all. People are getting pretty angry about everything and she said she doesn't see it getting better anytime soon.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just spoke to my friend in Germany and she is looking at moving back to Canada. Despite the fact she's well educated, she said "even if it means scrubbing toilets, I need to get my family out of here because it's not safe - ESPECIALLY for my daughter". She also said that the whole migrant situation in Germany is fueling the extreme right-wing party which, she said, won't solve anything - in fact it'll make things worse. But people are tired of the politicians not taking the situation there seriously; women and girls being harassed and sexually assaulted; gangs going around breaking and entering - simply taking what they want.

She said she was recently in her local grocery store and a guy had a basket full of food and refused to pay. The Cashier said he couldn't leave the store without paying and he said "talk to momma Merkle". The cashier called the store manager and he contacted City Hall - they told him to send the bill to them so now all these migrants are taking whatever they want without paying - a precedent has been set.

My friend said it's incredibly bad there and not very safe at all. People are getting pretty angry about everything and she said she doesn't see it getting better anytime soon.

There's rising euroscepticism across the EU. When the British vote to Leave on Thursday Sweden, Denmark and Finland will likely also hold EU in/out referenda and will be likely to vote Leave (a poll in Sweden has said that Swedes will be far more likely to want to leave the EU if or when Britain does). Euroscepticism is much higher in France than in Britain, and the French are also going to be wanting their own EU in/out referendum. Euroscepticism is rising in Germany, and it won't surprise me if the Germans start pressuring their government in to giving them a referendum after Britain votes to Leave in two days' time.

The whole European project is already starting to fall apart. The days of the EU are numbered. Britain leaving the EU will not be the cause of the EU's destruction. It will just accelerate it.

As for the immigrant situation in Germany, Merkel is to blame for theat for opening Germany's - and the EU's - borders open to the entire Third World and Muslim world.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Two days, Blackleaf. As soon as the USA gets blown out by Argentina tonight, I'm gonna cross my fingers and keep 'em crossed until the results are in. As our next President says "It's gonna be YUUUUUUGE!"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Two days, Blackleaf. As soon as the USA gets blown out by Argentina tonight, I'm gonna cross my fingers and keep 'em crossed until the results are in. As our next President says "It's gonna be YUUUUUUGE!"

I'm excited. I've already got in a large bottle of (English) wine to celebrate with on Friday.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not gin? You've already been corrupted. (kidding)

Not really too keen on gin. But those big litre (hopefully a Brexit will restore British measures) bottles of English fortified wine that you get in Sainsbury's are lovely jubbly.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Except people are thinking Bremain these days because of that Brexit terrorist.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Except people are thinking Bremain these days because of that Brexit terrorist.

A new poll, which shows a lead for Brexit, obviously proves otherwise, so your argument is flawed.

An incident caused by a mentally ill man who does not in any way represent the vast majority of the ordinary, law-abiding members of the public who are going to vote for their country to be a free, self-governing, sovereign state is not going to affect the outcome of this referendum.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
These articles are nonsensical.

Another new poll shows Leave in the lead, so a journalist could easily write an article titled "Sterling dips as new poll shows Brexit lead."

So is sterling dipping because of the Bremain lead in one poll or because of the Brexit lead in the other poll?
Who is Sterling, and why is he dipping?