What do British Muslims really think?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Should homosexuality be illegal? Should wives always obey their husbands? And can a man have more than one wife? The most comprehensive survey of British Muslims ever conducted reveals controversial attitudes. Trevor Phillips argues that the time has come for a more muscular approach to integration

As a doctrine of religious belief, Islam has never held any terrors for me. I was born in London but grew up in a developing country, now called Guyana, where one in 10 people worshipped Allah — roughly twice the proportion in Britain today. To me, the Muslims were just boys with names like Mohammed and Ishmael; in most things that mattered — could they play cricket or do calculus, for example — they seemed no different from the rest of us.

Liberal opinion in Britain has, for more than two decades, maintained that most Muslims are just like everyone

paywall:

What do British Muslims really think? | | The Times & The Sunday Times

It again falls to Channel 4 to 'be brave' and do what the BBC has long been reluctant to do...

This Wednesday Channel 4 will broadcast What British Muslims Really Think and there's a long piece about it in The Sunday Times today by Trevor Phillips from which I'll quote just a couple of paragraphs:
Liberal opinion in Britain has, for more than two decades, maintained that most Muslims are just like everyone else, but with more modest dress sense and more luxuriant facial hair; any differences would fade with time and contact. Britain desperately wants to think of its Muslims as versions of the Great British Bake Off winner Nadiya Hussain, or the cheeky-chappie athlete Mo Farah. But thanks to the most detailed and comprehensive survey of British Muslim opinion yet conducted, we now know that just isn’t how it is....
I thought this latest exercise would be intriguing. In fact, it has turned out to be astonishing. The data collected by the respected research firm ICM shows what the polling experts call “a chasm” opening between Muslims and non-Muslims on such fundamentals as marriage, relations between men and women, schooling, freedom of expression and even the validity of violence in defence of religion. And the chasm isn’t going to disappear any time soon; indeed, the gaps between Muslim and non-Muslim youngsters are nearly as large as those between their elders.
ICM's methodology was:
ICM Unlimited interviewed a random sample of 1,081 adults aged 18+ who self-identified as belonging to the Muslim faith. Interviews were carried out face to face, in the home, in geographical areas in which the minimum proportion of Muslims was confirmed by census to be 20%. Interviews took place between April 25 and May 31, 2015, and the data has been weighted to be representative of all Muslims by age, gender, work status and region. A nationally representative control sample of 1,008 adults aged 18+ was also conducted, by telephone, on June 5-7, 2015. Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults.
Why isn't the BBC doing this kind of thing?

The Sunday Times Verified account ‏@thesundaytimes

The most comprehensive survey of British Muslims ever reveals controversial attitudes http://thetim.es/1S3s9AO

Half of Muslims say gays should be outlawed | The Sunday Times

can't wait for this to be released in full.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So, this is a pay site. You can't read the article. Very good Locutus. Now you're wanting people to pay to have the fear spread around.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's always noticeable, though, how a white, Christian male who believes - rightly, he is a Christian after all - that homosexuality is a sin always gets more self-righteous anger and indignation on here than those Muslims who believe homosexuality is wrong. The usual suspects only turned up here to vent their bigoted hatred only after I posted my views and beliefs. There were no signs of them when it was just about Muslims.

Homosexuality is wrong and should never have been legalised 50 years ago. It should be re-outlawed.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
It's always noticeable, though, how a white, Christian male who believes - rightly, he is a Christian after all - that homosexuality is a sin always gets more self-righteous anger and indignation on here than those Muslims who believe homosexuality is wrong. The usual suspects only turned up here to vent their bigoted hatred only after I posted my views and beliefs. There were no signs of them when it was just about Muslims.

Homosexuality is wrong and should never have been legalised 50 years ago. It should be re-outlawed.

Homosexuality isn't a lifestyle choice, homosexuals are "wired" in that manner, desire isn't a choice, just ask God in your prayers, after all he made them that way, so by definition it cannot be a sin.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Homosexuality isn't a lifestyle choice, homosexuals are "wired" in that manner, desire isn't a choice, just ask God in your prayers, after all he made them that way, so by definition it cannot be a sin.

Oh you, stop with your logic and your perfect sense! Blackie doesn't like those things!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Copy/paste

The following is a copy of an article written by Spanish writer Sebastian Vilar Rodrigez and published in a Spanish newspaper on January 15, 2011. It doesn't take much imagination to extrapolate the message to the rest of Europe - and possibly to the rest of the world.

The following article was published in a Spanish Newspaper in 2011:

"European Life Died In Auschwitz"
By Sebastian Vilar Rodrigez

"I walked down the street in Barcelona and suddenly discovered a terrible truth - Europe died in Auschwitz ... We killed six million Jews and replaced them with 20 million Muslims. In Auschwitz we burned a culture, thought, creativity, talent. We destroyed the chosen people, truly chosen, because they produced great and wonderful people who changed the world.

The contribution of this people is felt in all areas of life: science, art, international trade, and above all, as the conscience of the world. These are the people we burned.

And under the pretence of tolerance, and because we wanted to prove to ourselves that we were cured of the disease of racism, we opened our gates to 20 million Muslims, who brought us stupidity, ignorance, religious extremism and lack of tolerance, crime and poverty, due to an unwillingness to work and support their families with pride.

They have blown up our trains and turned our beautiful Spanish cities into the third world, drowning in filth and crime. Shut up in the apartments they receive free from the government, they plan the murder and destruction of their naive hosts.

And thus, in our misery, we have exchanged culture for fanatical hatred, creative skill for destructive skill, intelligence for backwardness and superstition. We have exchanged the pursuit of peace of the Jews of Europe and their talent for a better future for their children, their determined clinging to life because life is holy, for those who pursue death, for people consumed by the desire for death for themselves and others, for our children and theirs.

What a terrible mistake was made by a miserable Europe!

A lot of Americans have become so insulated from reality that they imagine America can suffer defeat without any inconvenience to themselves. Recently, the UK debated whether to remove The Holocaust from its school curriculum because it 'offends' the Muslim population which claims it never occurred. It is not removed as yet. However, this is a frightening portent of the fear that is gripping the world and how easily each country is giving in to it.

It is now more than sixty years after the Second World War in Europe ended. This e-mail is being sent as a memorial chain, in memory of the six million Jews, twenty million Russians, ten million Christians, and nineteen-hundred Catholic priests who were 'murdered, raped, burned, starved, beaten, experimented on and humiliated.' Now, more than ever, with Iran, among others, claiming the Holocaust to be 'a myth,' it is imperative to make sure the world never forgets.

How many years will it be before the attack on the World Trade Centre 'NEVER HAPPENED' because it offends some Muslim in the United States? If our Judeo-Christian heritage is offensive to Muslims, we sincerely invite them to pack up and move to Iran, Iraq, Syria or some other Muslim country.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
So, this is a pay site. You can't read the article. Very good Locutus. Now you're wanting people to pay to have the fear spread around.

Yeah, pretty observant buddy and as I made clear it's a paywall.

I also haven't read the entire story hence my remark about looking forward to seeing it posted fully.

As you might or might not know, pay stories generally end up online on aggregator sites, alternative news sites etc. sooner than later either in full or as large snippets (larger than the one I included in my post).

If you don't know that then, you're quite welcome.

If you did know that then you're huffing and puffing about nothing again gerry. :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yeah, pretty observant buddy and as I made clear it's a paywall.

I also haven't read the entire story hence my remark about looking forward to seeing it posted fully.

As you might or might not know, pay stories generally end up online on aggregator sites, alternative news sites etc. sooner than later either in full or as large snippets (larger than the one I included in my post).

If you don't know that then, you're quite welcome.

If you did know that then you're huffing and puffing about nothing again gerry. :lol:

Unless they are bullshyte stories put up by british tabloids. Then they just disappear. I'm betting this is one that disappears.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
homosexuals are "wired" in that manner

So are people who are sexually attracted to children.

And yet, in Sweden, they are giving treatment to people who are sexually attracted to children and who fear they may one day sexually abuse children. It is hoped that the treatment will cure them. I can't see why such treatment and cures can't be created for people with homosexual tendencies.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

And yet, in Sweden, they are giving treatment to people who are sexually attracted to children and who fear they may one day sexually abuse children. It is hoped that the treatment will cure them. I can't see why such treatment and cures can't be created for people with homosexual tendencies.

Besides the obvious answer of "you don't want to see"...

Sexual attraction to children is dangerous, homosexuality is not.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Besides the obvious answer of "you don't want to see"...

Sexual attraction to children is dangerous, homosexuality is not.

Homosexuality is wrong. And, in most cases, sexual attraction to children is not dangerous.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Homosexuality is wrong. And, in most cases, sexual attraction to children is not dangerous.

It's official, you are phucked up in the head.

I agree, what's your point?

I'll try and explain it to you, children aren't sexual by their nature, hence introducing sex to them well before they develop those feelings on their own causes psychological (not to mention physical) trauma. Pedophilia is a disease and the Swedes give them treatment because in Sweden the perpetrators of crimes somehow have more rights than their victims.