Massive layoffs coming as China confronts its overbuilt 'zombie economy'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Massive layoffs coming as China confronts its overbuilt 'zombie economy'

In central China, the city of Jin Cheng gathers another layer of black dust.

It is surrounded by mines that pull coal out of the ground and load it onto trains headed for market.

Never mind that for much of that coal there is no longer a market. In a China where economic growth is officially 6.9 per cent — half what it was a decade ago and the lowest in a quarter century — these so-called zombie mines and factories continue to churn out products no one buys.

Delivery trucks idle outside a mine near Jin Cheng with nowhere to go.

"I borrowed more than I can afford just to buy this truck," says driver Wang Wei. "Now what? No work. I'm angry with the government."

Throughout industrialized China, thousands of these zombie enterprises stay open because the government and the ruling Communist Party have been afraid of exactly that reaction, on a massive scale.

Beijing has delayed a much-needed restructuring to reduce industrial overcapacity, even as economists have said such a move is inevitable.

But it is now coming. This week, China announced it expects to lay off 1.8 million workers in its coal and steel industries, about 15 per cent of the workforce.

Massive layoffs coming as China confronts its overbuilt 'zombie economy' - World - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Doesn't the poster of this thread pine for created "zombie" jobs?

Truck guy should go get a job at Govt Motors. GM is the epitome of created, subsidized zombie jobs.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It would appear that the move to put robots in factories is complete. Buddy better keep his wheels in good shape once a peace deal is reached in Syria and the IMF plops down an initial $1T amount for the 'shopping list' for the Govt and the 'citizens' returning get their back card when they come into Syria and give up their passport. (and a full confession that can be used against others in the war crimes trials that will follow)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So are you happy or sad that all those Chinese children are going hungry now that their parents have no work ?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Don't you just love planned economies and all of their infrastructure stimulus spending?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So far as I can tell the best thing governments can do to make the economy thrive is to stay out of the way. Seems like everytime the government trys to pick a winner they create a bunch of losers. Including the long suffering taxpayer.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So far as I can tell the best thing governments can do to make the economy thrive is to stay out of the way. Seems like everytime the government trys to pick a winner they create a bunch of losers. Including the long suffering taxpayer.

There are emergencies when it is appropriate for governments to intervene. They did not in 1929 and all fell into an abyss for a decade until governments learned how to stimulate. Those occasions are few and far between, though ... once or twice a century, maybe.