Why don't we treat climate change with the rigor we give to terror attacks?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Extreme weather, water shortages and the spread of mosquito-borne diseases like Zika are all having very real effects on everyday realities globally, and they are all linked to a fast-heating earth system. Yet we still don’t treat climate change with the reverence we reserve for something like a terrorist attack.

Maybe the blame goes deeper, into our very natures: evolution did not design our bodies to treat climate change with urgency.

Evolutionary responses favor real-time threats, not those that take place on an extended time scale. Shrinking Arctic ice cover, erratic changes in winter snow cover or rapid shifts in heat and cold don’t provide the same sense of threat as our fear of terrorist attacks or other bodily harm.

The challenge in moving more forcefully to stop the flow of greenhouse gases is that if you have to stop and think about whether a specific action or activity is threatening, that very process engages very different parts of the human brain, and not the ones that impel us to action.

The hormones that flood through our bodies to provide increased strength and speed in anticipation of fighting or running won’t kick in when the threat is one that can only be understood through research and thought. If you want to worry whether climate change will eventually make it more difficult for humans to feed themselves, for example, you need to break out the books and study science, statistics and a lot of other disciplines. Even after you study, it is hard to share that thought with your fellow humans in a way that elevates this to an Isis-like threat.

One result: we only pay attention to climate change from time to time, and usually when it hits us in the face – Hurricane Sandy or drought if you are a farmer in California. But disaster rarely hits all humanity at the exact same time. And life goes on – our memories of tragedy fade, a survival mechanism also bequeathed us by evolution.

One time when more of us paid attention was when the countries of the world met in Paris in December to map out the next steps in the battle to contain the dangerous greenhouse gas emissions that are trapped in the atmosphere and increasing planetary heating. Daily, for a few weeks, we heard stories, opinions, data and analysis. There was a “hook” – a small, international drama taking place in France.

Now that the moment has passed, we are back to our own devices, and most of us don’t consciously connect whether gradual warming might double back to cripple human life. What if the changes make it difficult for critters and insects that play roles in food production to survive and perform their jobs? The cereal aisle in western supermarkets still offers dozens of choices. What if we don’t sense in a personal way how these changes might make us more vulnerable to opportunistic illness? We can avoid the issue unless the boss directs us to travel to Brazil and we are forced to worry about Zika.

Why don't we treat climate change with the rigor we give to terror attacks? | Ruth Greenspan Bell | Opinion | The Guardian

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Human induced climate change is not a myth.

Who the hell told you that?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Because it is our destiny.

Like a wild fire is supposed to burn down the whole forest.

We are a natural life cycle of nature. Our purpose is to burn all the oil.

It's as simple as that.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Human induced climate change is not a myth.

Sure it is... Why, I've been thoroughly enjoying all of the back peddling, lies and outright frauds by the ideologues that buy into that nonsense.

PS - have you noticed that since the global economic downturn that no one (as far as the gen public is concerned) aren't thumping their collective chests to save Gaia?.... Seems that saving the planet is only a concern when there is lots of cash floating around but not so important when times are tough

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Because climate change doesn't exist and doesn't pose any threat towards people, unlike terrorism.

Terrorism has killed thousands of people over the last 100 years. Global warming hasn't killed anybody.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How many of the "experts" on here are in the pay of the oil industry?. The climate change deniers are exactly like the tobacco lobby used to be until it was absolutely irrefutable that smoking is harmful to you. It's not beyond a multi-trillion dollar oligopoly that they would have paid schills and confederates working social media. It's a continuation of time-tested tactics applied to modern communication forms. There are trillions of dollars that stake and will likely stop at nothing to confuse and obfiscate that which is pretty obviously the truth.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm also not surprised that silly article is from the Guardian.

By the way, Guardianistas. Any increase in mosquito-borne diseases is in no way indicative of global warming. Oliver Cromwell died of malaria and, as far as I can tell, he never left the British Isles.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
How many of the "experts" on here are in the pay of the oil industry?.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm also not surprised that silly article is from the Guardian.

By the way, Guardianistas. Any increase in mosquito-borne diseases is in no way indicative of global warming. Oliver Cromwell died of malaria and, as far as I can tell, he never left the British Isles.

We had a malaria epidemic in Canada during the 1830's in what is now Ottawa. It was brought here by British Army Sappers and Miners from India. They were sailed here to build the Rides Canal system and they spread malaria with help of the local mosquitos that killed hundreds of Navvys. The is a lovely little lake in Ottawa called Dow's Lake which started out as the malarial Dow's Great Swamp.

Malaria in Canada? - Canada History and Mysteries

Actually, it very likely is, as was the tobacco lobby. Colossal piles of money overcome truth and the public good every time.

Work for an oil company yourself?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We had a malaria epidemic in Canada during the 1830's in what is now Ottawa. It was brought here by British Army Sappers and Miners from India. They were sailed here to build the Rides Canal system and they spread malaria with help of the local mosquitos that killed hundreds of Navvys. The is a lovely little lake in Ottawa called Dow's Lake which started out as the malarial Dow's Great Swamp.

Malaria in Canada? - Canada History and Mysteries

You can't beat a bit of malaria. It toughens you up.

But there is a myth believed by the global warming believers that malaria is a tropical disease and that an increase of malaria in places like Africa is, therefore, proof of global warming. But it isn't a tropical disease. It was once rife in Britain, even during the so-called Little Ice Age.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You can't beat a bit of malaria. It toughens you up.

But there is a myth believed by the global warming believers that malaria is a tropical disease and that an increase of malaria in places like Africa is, therefore, proof of global warming. But it isn't a tropical disease. It was once rife in Britain, even during the so-called Little Ice Age.

We don't have it anymore. It died with the cold winters.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We don't have it anymore. It died with the cold winters.

I've already said that malaria is not a tropical disease. Temperature doesn't affect malaria. Malaria was rife in Britain during the Little Ice Age when winters got so cold the Thames froze over and Frost Fairs were held on it, so all those global warming fanatics who point to a rise in diseases like malaria in Africa as proof of global warming are actually making a big mistake.

The only reason malaria died out in Canada and Britain is because we learned to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Colossal piles of money overcome truth and the public good every time.

On this we can agree, although I'd have to suggest that the IPCC, Al Gore and Suzuki just didn't pile-in enough money to really effectively sell their message.

Work for an oil company yourself?

Ummmm, kinda.

Although, I'm more interested in any real, tangible proof of your statement that the oil companies are behind this..... That said, gotta line?... Preferably from some group that aren't ecotards and/or tin-foiler nutbars?

.... Yeah, I thought not

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
On this we can agree, although I'd have to suggest that the IPCC, Al Gore and Suzuki just didn't pile-in enough money to really effectively sell their message.

Ummmm, kinda.

Although, I'm more interested in any real, tangible proof of your statement that the oil companies are behind this..... That said, gotta line?... Preferably from some group that aren't ecotards and/or tin-foiler nutbars?

.... Yeah, I thought not

Gore, Suzuki et.al run on a trickle of pocket change compared to the planetary wealth and power of "big oil". Suzuki will have about the same sort of backing as the Boy Scouts of Canada. Oil companies are rich and powerful enough to change national governments and perhaps, to start wars.

If you find that you are wrong in the long run, and you almost certainly will be found to be on the wrong side of this, contemplate on what a flaming @sshole you were to any and all who disagreed with you. A little emotional maturity...?

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
If you find that you are wrong in the long run, and you almost certainly will be found to be on the wrong side of this, contemplate on what a flaming @sshole you were to any and all who disagreed with you.

... So, no links or proof or anything of the like, eh?... I figured as much

That said, you want to volunteer to be a dupe and rube, suit yourself. I look forward to hearing all about your experiences of ditching your car, foreswearing any contact with hydrocarbons in any form, heating your home with good intentions come winter (hint; put on an eco-sweater ~ that'll fix everything).

Lead by example hypocrite and then , just maybe, people will apply the tiniest shred of force to your transparent little words

A little emotional maturity...?

Found this for ya'll... Should help a ton with your overly emotional and dramatic pleas

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
... So, no links or proof or anything of the like, eh?... I figured as much

That said, you want to volunteer to be a dupe and rube, suit yourself. I look forward to hearing all about your experiences of ditching your car, foreswearing any contact with hydrocarbons in any form, heating your home with good intentions come winter (hint; put on an eco-sweater ~ that'll fix everything).

Lead by example hypocrite and then , just maybe, people will apply the tiniest shred of force to your transparent little words

Found this for ya'll... Should help a ton with your overly emotional and dramatic pleas

Yeah, yeah. Another meme guy. I guess it is widely known on here that you are one of "those" arseholes.