Australians Dumping the Monarchy??

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They won't be cuting ties with the UK monarchy. They'd be cutting ties with their own monarchy. The Australian monarchy, like the Canadian one, is separate and independent from the British monarchy and, like the Canadian monarchy, is legally distinct from the British one.

Although dumping a constitutional monarchy for a republic is NOT the right way forward and I think the Australians will eventually regret it if that's the path they decide to take.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Of course it's the right way to go. Picking your head of state because of who her daddy was is silly

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Of course it's the right way to go.

No, it isn't. Constitutional monarchy is the best form of governance in the modern world. Nobody in their right mind would want to get rid of such a great system of governance and replace it wih a system where you have a bloody politician as your head of state. Imagine gettind rid of Elizabeth II and replacing her with President Cameron or President Trudeau or President Turnbull? It just sends shudders down my spine.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
No, it isn't. Constitutional monarchy is the best form of governance in the modern world. Nobody in their right mind would want to get rid of such a great system of governance and replace it wih a system where you have a bloody politician as your head of state. Imagine gettind rid of Elizabeth II and replacing her with President Blair, President Trudeau or President Turnbull? It just sends shudders down my spine.

You're right of course BL *gag*, because having a Head of State chosen for countless millions in the modern way.

You and your ilk are nuts, thank God you're a dying breed.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You and your ilk are nuts, thank God you're a dying breed.

Well, actually, we're not a dying breed. In Britain and other countries, it's the republicans who are the dying breed.

Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind want to replace a monarch with President Cameron or President Trudeau?

And why is it that most Yanks wish they had a monarchy?

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Well, actually, we're not a dying breed. In Britain and other countries, it's the republicans who are the dying breed.

Yeah? Prove it.

Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind want to replace a monarch with President Cameron or President Trudeau?

Doesn't have to be President, your Head of State can be the Prime Minister.

You got it all wrong, many Yanks want to BE the monarchy, just like yourself.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

I'm a Yank and I don't want a Monarchy. I'm hoping for anarchy like that movie Mad Maxx Beyond Thunderdome where the midget asks the question,,,"Who run farter town??"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah? Prove it.

The number of people who are republicans in Britain would probably just about fill up a telephone box.

The last time Australia had a referendum on becoming a republic, in 1999, 54.87% of the people voted in favour of keeping the monarchy.

And whilst Australia's state premiers and other politicians may be looking to dump their monarchy, support for a republic amongst the Australian public currently stands at a new low, with a 2014 poll showing just 39% of Australians favouring replacing the Queen as head of state. This means that Australian politicians are probably about as out of touch as British politicians and that it's highly unlikely Australia will dump their monarchy. A referendum now will be even more in favour of keeping the monarchy than in 1999.

Doesn't have to be President, your Head of State can be the Prime Minister.
It'd still be a politician being Head of State and, in many countries, such as Britain, Australia and probably Canada, such a thing isn't an attractive proposition.

Also, I don't think there are even any countries in existence which have a PM as Head of State.

You got it all wrong, many Yanks want to BE the monarchy, just like yourself.
Whenever there's a royal wedding or jubilee or some other royal celebration in Britain, like there will again this summer for the Queen's 90th birthday, the Yanks watch it with envy, wishing they had a monarchy and royal weddings and jubilees etc. Most Americans wish they didn't have a boring republic.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Most Yanks do. Most Americans wish they had royal weddings and jubilees. Much better than a boring republic.

Why? For stating facts?

Here's a fact for you, we can wipe you and your boring Monarchy off the face of the earth, 20 fold.

You're just furious because you lost the greatest colony you ever had. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but get over it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here's a fact for you, we can wipe you and your boring Monarchy off the face of the earth, 20 fold.

Likewise, Britain can wipe America off the face of the Earth many times over.

As for the monarchy, there's nothing boring about it. I'm sure I speak for most people when I say a monarchy is far more interesting than a republic.

You're just furious because you lost the greatest colony you ever had. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but get over it.
Whilst the end of the British Empire was one of the great tragedies of the 20th century, this is actually a thread about the fact that Australian state premiers are saying they want to get rid of their monarchy despite polls showing the overwhelming majority of Australians want to keep it. Australians want to keep the monarchy and that is something YOU'LL have to swallow.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Likewise, Britain can wipe America off the face of the Earth many times over.

I doubt your tinker toys can reach Ireland.

As for the monarchy, there's nothing boring about it. I'm sure I speak for most people when I say a monarchy is far more interesting than a republic.

You're right, a Monarchy is more interesting. They get to live in the lap of luxury because you and your ilk believe they have "royal" blood, or somehow superior to you, or I really do not understand why.

Australians want to keep the monarchy and that is something YOU'LL have to swallow.

I don't care what they do, they can sink the whole ****ing island for all I care, you should know you held your tinker toy tests in Australia, they were expendable, like all subjects of the crown.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I doubt your tinker toys can reach Ireland.

It's not Britain that's having operational problems with some of its submarines. It's the US.

You're right, a Monarchy is more interesting. They get to live in the lap of luxury because you and your ilk believe they have "royal" blood, or somehow superior to you, or I really do not understand why.
That's because the royals DO have royal blood.

I don't care what they do, they can sink the whole ****ing island for all I care, you should know you held your tinker toy tests in Australia, they were expendable, like all subjects of the crown.
We're not subjects. We're citizens.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
This has always been a subordinate cause in Australian politics and to a lesser extent Canadian politics. It's existed since the Irish emigrations of the 1840s and development of the Fenian Brothehood's rabid opposition to all things British.

It has never been able to cobble together an electoral plurality. I think Australia even had a referendum a few years ago in the issue which decisively failed.

The fact is the British Monarchy at its best fosters a sense of structure, continuity, tradition and values that is irreplaceable in a world where these elements are being discarded with impunity.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This has always been a subordinate cause in Australian politics and to a lesser extent Canadian politics. It's existed since the Irish emigrations of the 1840s and development of the Fenians rabid opposition to all things British. It has never been able to cobble together a electoral plurality. I think Australia even had a referendum a few years ago on the issue which decisively failed. The fact is the British monarchy at its best fosters a sense of tradition and values that is irreplaceable in a world where traditions and values are being discarded with impunity.

And support for a republic in Australia is now at a new low, with a 2014 poll showing just 39% of Australians wanting to dump the monarchy. On this issue, as in so many other issues in Western countries today, the politicians (all those Australia state premiers) wanting to dump the monarchy are just simply out of touch with public opinion.