'We are safer now than 30 years ago,' says leading terrorism expert

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Professor Louise Richardson believes the French response to the Paris attacks with the language of warfare has helped terrorists “spread fear and terror”

The world is a safer place than 30 years ago as people are more likely to be struck by lightning than a terrorist bullet, a terrorism expert has said.

"If you asked people, they would tell you that they are more frightened than they have been in the past. They feel more at risk now."

The newly-appointed vice-chancellor at the University of Oxford, Professor Louise Richardson, believes the French response to the Paris attacks with the language of warfare has helped terrorists “spread fear and terror”.

Instead, she thinks this threat has been exaggerated despite the recent atrocities in Jakarta and elsewhere that have left hundreds either dead or injured.

“But if you look at reality, 20, 30 years ago, we had ? the threat of nuclear war between the Eastern block and Nato [and it] has dramatically reduced."

“People feel more fearful [but] I think there is less grounds for that. I absolutely understand the fear. It's because when there is an atrocity in Jakarta or in Paris, we can see it and we feel close to it.

"Part of the genius of terrorism is for the psychological impact to be greater than the actual physical act. So if an attack is random - like the attack in Jakarta or Paris - if nobody is targeted, then nobody is safe. So it spreads the fear and terror.

“So I think people feel less safe, but I think people are actually a lot safer than they feel.”

Asked of the threat of being hit by a terrorist bullet, she said the odds are more likely to be hit by lighting sitting at a cafe in London”.

'We are safer now than 30 years ago,' says leading terrorism expert - Telegraph

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Professor Louise Richardson believes the French response to the Paris attacks with the language of warfare has helped terrorists “spread fear and terror”

The world is a safer place than 30 years ago as people are more likely to be struck by lightning than a terrorist bullet, a terrorism expert has said.

"If you asked people, they would tell you that they are more frightened than they have been in the past. They feel more at risk now."

The newly-appointed vice-chancellor at the University of Oxford, Professor Louise Richardson, believes the French response to the Paris attacks with the language of warfare has helped terrorists “spread fear and terror”.

Instead, she thinks this threat has been exaggerated despite the recent atrocities in Jakarta and elsewhere that have left hundreds either dead or injured.

“But if you look at reality, 20, 30 years ago, we had ? the threat of nuclear war between the Eastern block and Nato [and it] has dramatically reduced."

“People feel more fearful [but] I think there is less grounds for that. I absolutely understand the fear. It's because when there is an atrocity in Jakarta or in Paris, we can see it and we feel close to it.

"Part of the genius of terrorism is for the psychological impact to be greater than the actual physical act. So if an attack is random - like the attack in Jakarta or Paris - if nobody is targeted, then nobody is safe. So it spreads the fear and terror.

“So I think people feel less safe, but I think people are actually a lot safer than they feel.”

Asked of the threat of being hit by a terrorist bullet, she said the odds are more likely to be hit by lighting sitting at a cafe in London”.

'We are safer now than 30 years ago,' says leading terrorism expert - Telegraph
Safer than 30 years ago LOL. 30 years ago Canada didn't have wide open mass-immigration where anyone with a pulse was welcome.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The odds of being terminated before you're born are higher than any type of death in Canada........

Only if you believe that life begins at conception however, most Canadians don't believe that.

Safer than 30 years ago LOL. 30 years ago Canada didn't have wide open mass-immigration where anyone with a pulse was welcome.

We don't have that now despite the claims of the Chicken Littles

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Actually, thirty years ago Canada had exactly that with several groups and the immigration process has tightened up considerably, since then.
The pogey rolls were loaded up with ma and pa and six kids from Peshawar, their grand mothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles, nieces , nephews, first, second ,third cousins and the frikken neighbours down the road, all brought in by one immigrant ticket.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

And the fact that it was a more dangerous place then completely exonerates every bleeding heart Liberal out there.

But, hey, I'm sure you guys will continue to hold up the asinine belief that every refugee we receive actually takes away resources from people who already live here.

Such utter nonsensical logic, it's so dumb it hurts.

They probably think people who don't understand the difference between terrorism and civil war are pretty stupid.

This also cannot be stated enough for the isisophobes.

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
And the fact that it was a more dangerous place then completely exonerates every bleeding heart Liberal out there.
It wasn't, but you keep believing that if it helps you get through your day.

But, hey, I'm sure you guys will continue to hold up the asinine belief that every refugee we receive actually takes away resources from people who already live here.

Such utter nonsensical logic, it's so dumb it hurts.
Yep, that was some seriously dumb, nonsensical logic on your part. I'm talking about mass-immigration and your response was a strawman about refugees.

Showing off your lack of comprehension skills again I see.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Nonsense - between 1986 and 1990 Canada admitted 821,000 immigrants. Compare that to the 260,000 admitted in 2014 and Canada's larger population and it is about the same. Just for the record the largest five year period for immigration was between 1911 and 1915 when almost 1.3 million immigrants came to Canada.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nonsense - between 1986 and 1990 Canada admitted 821,000 immigrants. Compare that to the 260,000 admitted in 2014 and Canada's larger population and it is about the same. Just for the record the largest five year period for immigration was between 1911 and 1915 when almost 1.3 million immigrants came to Canada.
No point reasoning with a hysteric, Bar.