Why is Goldman Sachs trying to stop Britain leaving the EU?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
One of the World's biggest banks has agreed to donate a "substantial" six-figure sum to the campaign to keep Britain in the EU.

Goldman Sachs has made the donation to the Britain Stronger in Europe campaign amid concerns about the potential economic disruption that a vote to leave the EU would cause.

Buit what exactly does Goldman Sachs' donation mean?

Goldman Sachs and the EU: the vampire squid commands you to stay

The global bank and conspiracy theory magnet has made a six-figure donation to the campaign against Brexit. But what does it mean?

Left: The lair of the vampire squid. Right: Stooge of the EUSSR. Photo: AP Photo/Alik Keplicz/John Taggart/Bloomberg

By James Kirkup
21 Jan 2016
The Telegraph
142 Comments

Now this will get some people very excited. Goldman Sachs is helping fund the campaign to keep Britain in the EU.

By "some people" I mean a certain sort of Internet user, the sort who uses phrases like "EUSSR" and spends quite a lot of time talking about the Bilderberg Group.

"Finally! Proof that the giant Jew-lizard corporatists want to keep us captive and cowed to be milked forever more"

For such folk, Goldman Sachs is more than just a vast and rich investment bank. It's a key component of what amounts to an international corporatist conspiracy against democracy and freedom, which may also be intent on race replacement, supplanting white European Christians through open-door immigration policies.

Quite what the evidence for this is, I've never been entirely sure. I suspect it boils down to Goldman making huge piles of cash and having been founded by some Jewish chaps.

Anyway, for those people, today confirms pretty much everything they ever thought or feared about the modern world. Goldman is trying to keep Britain trapped in the EU. Finally! Proof that the giant Jew-lizard corporatists want to keep us captive and cowed to be milked of our money and freedom forever more. And now that the world can see what's really going on, the referendum is the bag: free-born British voters will reject the Goldman yoke and vote to leave. Right?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Goldman's involvement in the referendum isn't a clear-cut positive for either side.

For the Leave camp, it does several things. First, it solidifies the anti-corporatist vote, the people I've slightly cruelly described above. But they were voting Out anyway. In terms of gaining votes, it may just swing a few Left-wingers to Leave – the sort of voter who gets angry about TTIP and suspects the EU works for big companies, not little people. And a few middle-of-the-road people who have never forgiven The Banks for causing the crash and waking away unpunished may just still be cross enough to vote Out just to stick it to the banksters. (Reminder: Goldman didn't take any bailout cash.)

Demonstrators outside the Goldman Sachs building in New York, 2009

On the Remain side, this isn't the coup some optimists might think either. While it will doubtless figure in campaign lines-to-take ("major companies including the world's most successful financial services group think we're better off in the EU") I suspect this cuts less ice than it might once have done. Because while most people have got over their genuine anger at The Banks, they still don't like the damn things, or the people who work there. (I get that: most Goldman people I've met have been just a little too pleased with themselves, even allowing for the unearthly wealth and sinister power etc).

So I suspect they won't flock in droves to Remain just because Goldman says they should. A few might be swayed, reasoning that if it's in Goldman Sachs' interest that Britain stay in, it's in their interest too. But such people will be few, and were probably voting to Remain anyway.

In all, Goldman Sachs' entry into the referendum campaign will probably serve to get a relatively small (but vocal) number of people very excited, but not actually change much about the overall balance of votes. In other words, the world's most powerful company doesn't actually wield that much power after all.

But then, that's just what they want you to believe, isn't it?

Goldman Sachs and the EU: the vampire squid commands you to stay - Telegraph

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Just bend over and accept it Blackleaf. The Americans are in charge......

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just bend over and accept it Blackleaf. The Americans are in charge......

They're not in charge of how Britons vote at the ballot box when the EU in/out referendum is held, whenever that will be.