Swiss state votes to ban niqabs and burkas, will fine people £6,500 for wearing one

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Swiss state votes to ban niqabs and burkas, will fine people £6,500 for wearing one

The local government of Ticino, Switzerland is banning burkas and niqabs.

The Local reports, “citizens in the Italian-speaking canton in the south of Switzerland supported the ban in a referendum in September 2013, with around two in three voters backing the move.”

MORE: How Canadians really feel: The niqab debate, by the numbers

The government had wanted the ban on burqas and niqabs to apply to other face coverings too such as masks, however, members of parliament only voted for a law applying to the wearing of Muslim veils.

According to Act for America, the minimum fine is 100 francs (£65) and women can be given a penalty of up to 10,000 francs (£6,500).

The Toronto burqa murder: The true story everyone who thinks the niqab is optional needs to read

The law applies to tourists too. People visiting will be informed by customs that is unlawful to hide your face.

Meanwhile in Canada, you are allowed to wear a niqab during citizenship ceremonies and even while voting.

source: Swiss state votes to ban niqabs and burkas, will fine people £6,500 if they wear one - The Rebel

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol That figures. As a nation, the Swiss are a bit odd. Everything is extremely compartmentalized and sometimes the Swiss have problems compartmentalizing something. When they do, they tend to ban it. It beats having to think strenuously about it.

hehe If it does not fit into a compartment, it is banned (see pic):

No rectangles, crescents, oblates, etc. allowed.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Might as well get it right: Justin Trudeau has both a B A and a B ED. from McGil and UBC.

Anyone can charge to give a talk on any subject....The trick is to make money doing it.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I kinda don't blame them. Some cultural beliefs need to be left behind and that's one of them. Despite what the women who wear them say, it's a control thingy by the men and they've been brainwashed to believe otherwise. I don't believe it has anything to do with religion and we should not encourage it at all! Some say it's "harmless" - I say it is - to women!

Ask those who live in Germany where they're experiencing millions of refugees coming in. No female doctors are allowed to assist males, no male doctors allowed to assist females, food refused because its handled by "unclean infidels", and still the borders are open. They're even building "villages" so as to house the refugees. Wow, that's a good idea! Have them live all in one place and I'm sure they'll adapt/assimilate for sure - NOT!! They'll simply have "Muslim gettos".

I just spoke to my girlfriend who lives in Germany and she's seriously considering moving back to Canada as things are really bad in Germany. Woman/girls can't walk down the street without being attacked - all the young men think they're ****s and ask them if they want to f'ie fie. If the girls happen to be with their boyfriend, fights break out. If there is an incident and you call the cops, they won't come nor do they even register the complaint.

I'm all for assisting those in need but catering to their backward misogynistic ways should not be tolerated. Adapt or go back home. We simply cannot be politically correct regarding this as its too important to our way of life. That's why I am a firm believer that we should be assisting these people in their own countries because they will not adapt in ours.

My g/f laughed when I told her about the 25,000 the government wants to bring in because she said that they're getting hundreds of thousands and very few are families - they're mostly young men. Germany has already 85 million people in the country and they're expecting 3 million more in refugees and they don't have the room! She said Canada has the room for 25,000. I explained to her that the government hasn't said how they're going to be vetted if at all, she agreed that it was an issue.

The Germans are just waiting for their "Paris". I asked her why Germany hasn't closed their borders and she said that the "politicos" want to at least have border controls but Merkel won't hear of it. There's also their "past history" and when people object to having the open borders, they're called "Nazis" so she said they can't even have a "reasonable" discussion on what to do about everything.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I still say that telling a woman that she can't wear something is just as controlling and demeaning as saying she has to wear something. Neither scenario lends itself to independent, empowered women.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I still say that telling a woman that she can't wear something is just as controlling and demeaning as saying she has to wear something. Neither scenario lends itself to independent, empowered women.

You can't walk around naked in downtown Toronto, can you? You consider that demeaning, or should we all be allowed to run around in our buff in public.

The burka is a sign of oppression, same as chains and shackles on a black man.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You can't walk around naked in downtown Toronto, can you? You consider that demeaning, or should we all be allowed to run around in our buff in public.

If the issue of being naked in public was isolated entirely to one gender, then you might have a point. But neither gender can walk around naked in public.

The burka is a sign of oppression, same as chains and shackles on a black man.

I don't necessarily disagree. I wouldn't wear one, I would never advocate for someone to wear one, but I also won't look a woman in the eye who is stating flat out that it's her choice and force her to do otherwise. Because, in that case, I would be as bad as her oppressor.....is the concept really that difficult?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good on the Swiss. Belgium and France and also banned it, too. Such clothing has no place in modern, Western societies and it's time Britain followed the example of Switzerland, Belgium and France.

I still say that telling a woman that she can't wear something is just as controlling and demeaning as saying she has to wear something.

Bull****. Why do you think that women should have the right to wear whatever they want in public? What makes women so special? If I walked down the street wearing a t-shirt saying "KILL ALL N*GGERS" it'll probably not be long until a policeman stops me. The fact is, people cannot just wear anything they want to wear. I'm afraid some things should not be worn in modern, Western societies, and the niqab is one of them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good on the Swiss. Belgium and France and also banned it, too. Such clothing has no place in modern, Western societies and it's time Britain followed the example of Switzerland, Belgium and France.

Bull****. Why do you think that women should have the right to wear whatever they want in public? What makes women so special? If I walked down the street wearing a t-shirt saying "KILL ALL N*GGERS" it'll probably not be long until a policeman stops me. The fact is, people cannot just wear anything they want to wear. I'm afraid some things should not be worn in modern, Western societies, and the niqab is one of them.

LMFAO. The point is flying so high over your head....stop trying to find it, just, just stop.....you'll get whiplash.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No, he didn't. obviously you have though.

Yes. He did. And so have you apparently..

If the issue of being naked in public was isolated entirely to one gender, then you might have a point. But neither gender can walk around naked in public.

I don't necessarily disagree. I wouldn't wear one, I would never advocate for someone to wear one, but I also won't look a woman in the eye who is stating flat out that it's her choice and force her to do otherwise. Because, in that case, I would be as bad as her oppressor.....is the concept really that difficult?

No where in the above two statements have I said what he claims I'm saying. Stating that I have is the fukking bull****.

In my first comment I'm speaking directly to the notion that telling a woman she cannot wear a burqa or niqab or hijab or whatever, is just as bad as telling her she has to wear it. How is it not? Both options remove her choice from the equation, so how is one better?

In my second statement I'm even going so far as to say that I personally don't support it but I draw the line at telling her what to do. If I tell her what to do, or you tell her what to do, what's the difference? Nothing. THAT'S my point.

So please, point out where exactly I said that women can wear whatever they want in public. Where did I say that???

Blackleaf is a stupid and whiny little Islamic hating misogynist (and I DO NOT throw that word out there lightly!) so I expect this bull crap from him.

From you though, I actually expect better.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yes. He did. And so have you apparently..

No where in the above two statements have I said what he claims I'm saying. Stating that I have is the fukking bull****.

In my first comment I'm speaking directly to the notion that telling a woman she cannot wear a burqa or niqab or hijab or whatever, is just as bad as telling her she has to wear it. How is it not? Both options remove her choice from the equation, so how is one better?

In my second statement I'm even going so far as to say that I personally don't support it but I draw the line at telling her what to do. If I tell her what to do, or you tell her what to do, what's the difference? Nothing. THAT'S my point.

So please, point out where exactly I said that women can wear whatever they want in public. Where did I say that???

Your statement implicitly implies that a woman has the right to wear what ever the fu ck she wants. This is supported by the fact that you are getting bent out of shape because women are being told what they can't wear.

Blackleaf is a stupid and whiny little Islamic hating misogynist (and I DO NOT throw that word out there lightly!) so I expect this bull crap from him.

and that has what to do with the fact that he got this one right, aside from showing that you are blinded by your hatred and prejudice towards him.

From you though, I actually expect better.

Really,..... actually, what you "expect" in this instance is to be fully supported in your put down and tear down of BL... THAT is what YOU expect.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Your statement implicitly implies that a woman has the right to wear what ever the fu ck she wants. This is supported by the fact that you are getting bent out of shape because women are being told what they can't wear.

Are you having that much trouble finding someone to pick a fight with?

LMFAO. Go for it, twist it any way you need to.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Are you having that much trouble finding someone to pick a fight with?

LMFAO. Go for it, twist it any way you need to.

Trouble? I have no problem finding the shallow or simple minded. There is no twisting necessary. Your statement is very easy to see and interpret. You not being able to recognise what you are saying is just a reflection on your intelligence, or maybe lack of.

I have made it very clear over the years that I am an "equal opportunity" a$$hole. Not even Bear, Das, Zan, Karie or RCS get a pass. So, that being said, if you say something stupid or hypocritical, you can be sure I will comment on it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, huh. No-one should be allowed to wear any facial covering ever. Even in -30 weather in strong winds.

Bull****.
.... is mostly what you spew.
Why do you think that women should have the right to wear whatever they want in public?
Because men do.
What makes women so special?
The same thing that makes men special.
If I walked down the street wearing a t-shirt saying "KILL ALL N*GGERS" it'll probably not be long until a policeman stops me. The fact is, people cannot just wear anything they want to wear. I'm afraid some things should not be worn in modern, Western societies, and the niqab is one of them.
Logical fallacies. Cool. What gives men the right to wear mullets? Or "Mohawks"?

I could not care less if anyone wanted to wear a gunny sack or some of that weird crap models wear on runways. If they WANT to wear something, I do not see a big deal. No-one should be forced to wear anything they do not want unless it is for safety or environmental or legal reason.
This fetish about facial coverings is ludicrous. People can do lots of things to disguise themselves, especially if they have enough money. Plastic surgery, elaborate latex masks, etc. Men (and some women) can grow facial hair. Coloured contact lenses can change eye colour. Dye can change hair colours. etc etc etc
So your logical fallacy is inane at best.

Turnip.