China to Announce Cap-and-Trade Program to Limit Emissions

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is probably just nothing and we should just carry on what we are doing :lol:

China to Announce Cap-and-Trade Program to Limit Emissions

WASHINGTON — President Xi Jinping of China will make a landmark commitment on Friday to start a national program in 2017 that will limit and put a price on greenhouse gas emissions, Obama administration officials said Thursday.

The move to create a so-called cap-and-trade system would be a substantial step by the world’s largest polluter to reduce emissions from major industries, including steel, cement, paper and electric power.

The announcement, to come during a White House summit meeting with President Obama, is part of an ambitious effort by China and the United States to use their leverage internationally to tackle climate change and to pressure other nations to do the same.

Joining forces on the issue even as they are bitterly divided on others, Mr. Obama and Mr. Xi will spotlight the shared determination of the leaders of the world’s two largest economies to forge a climate change accord in Paris in December that commits every country to curbing its emissions.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/2...mmit.html?_r=1&referer=http://t.co/3RCuNYY5lG

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
While I suppose it's a good step, I hope you understand, mentalfloss, that in China the facts are whatever the Party says they are.

Which should make compliance a piece of cake for the connected.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That sounds like the Trudeau line about why dictatorships can be good.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Just sayin

I'd rather be stuck in a democracy and just try the best I can to convince others -- even if it is a failure lol

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nope, sorry I put you off track. The "Oops" was just that I double-posted, so I edited the second one to "Oops."

My point is that China's compliance with it's agreement is. . . problematic.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Unlike Canadians who haven't been cashing in for about a decade now.

Only a very few cash in on Cap& Trade deals. The average person just pays.It is a scam to make money change hands without any actual input. View it as an extension of the commodities market, for every winner there has to be a looser. In this case the looser is normally the consumer.